Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cyber-menace

Looking for a web host.

I need some help. The web host I was using to run my DTCA site on has been shut down by the ISP. I need a good host for my site that allows a good amount of MB's to be uploaded, has a good speed, FTP (Optional), etc. I was wondering if there was anyway to sign up for hosting on Doomworld? Or am I just going to need to go find somewhere else (This will be the 6th web host I've tried. Things happen to other sites that get my site kicked off...). I would really appreciate someone telling me where I could put my site.

Smarter to mail or PM an admin than to just post on the boards. And, wrong forum.

Perhaps you might want to explain why all the other hosts kicked you off if you seriously want anyone to host you.

As to that... I was not "kicked" dare say, the hosts merrily changed their free services (bastards). I started with Expage, but then realized I couldn't upload files, then moved to Homestead who after a long while of use, eliminated their free services, then on to the craptacular GeoCities, who halved the space allowed for free accounts and then they had various virus's which deleted a lot of my files, then I tried ProHosting, but it was so bugged up after a month or so of use that I left, right now I have an account on Brinkster for small amounts of storage, because it won't let you upload more than one meg of files at a time and it only gives you 15 megs of space. As you can see a lot of WebHosts like to change their offers and it's enough to drive you mad.

BTW, who's a recommendable Admin to PM or E-mail about this kind of thing?

Beware, downloads are NOT on the webspace here but on 3ddownloads. Furthermore, we'd need a sample page before taking a decision.

3dDownloads eh?... You mean the webpage that you have to wait in a line to download them? I saw a few of Doomworld's hosted sites without that, but maybe I'm mistaken. Now as for a sample of the page. If it is to be discussed, I have EVERY file that was on my old webhost backed up on my computer. After the first two webhosts I was smart enough to do so. There's nothing wrong with the site, I admit it does need improovments, but I think it's still a pretty good site for my project. Just PM me or something if you want a sample of the page.

cyber-menace said:

3dDownloads eh?... You mean the webpage that you have to wait in a line to download them? I saw a few of Doomworld's hosted sites without that, but maybe I'm mistaken. Now as for a sample of the page. If it is to be discussed, I have EVERY file that was on my old webhost backed up on my computer. After the first two webhosts I was smart enough to do so. There's nothing wrong with the site, I admit it does need improovments, but I think it's still a pretty good site for my project. Just PM me or something if you want a sample of the page.

All right. Maybe I'm not clear enough.

1) Your web content would be on dw and the downloads on 3ddownloads (which means queues, yes). If you came across hosted sites that didn't comply to this, know that they take the risk to be kicked off dw. These are tf's rules, not ours.

2) Giving us a sample of your site is not optional. The crew members need to have a look at your work so that they can agree or disagree with hosting you. You are asking for hosting on Doomworld: stating that your html is "pretty good" is not enough to get a positive answer.

What I would suggest is that you create an account with no downloads somewhere (like geoshitties or anything) so that we can have a look at the layout and content. PM me the url and I'll let you know if it's a yes or a no.

[EDIT:] Isn't that in the FAQ already? You just lose 3 points for obvious lazyness. :P

Julian said:

All right. Maybe I'm not clear enough.

1) Your web content would be on dw and the downloads on 3ddownloads (which means queues, yes). If you came across hosted sites that didn't comply to this, know that they take the risk to be kicked off dw. These are tf's rules, not ours.

2) Giving us a sample of your site is not optional. The crew members need to have a look at your work so that they can agree or disagree with hosting you. You are asking for hosting on Doomworld: stating that your html is "pretty good" is not enough to get a positive answer.

What I would suggest is that you create an account with no downloads somewhere (like geoshitties or anything) so that we can have a look at the layout and content. PM me the url and I'll let you know if it's a yes or a no.

*shivers* I know exactly what site to go to if I need to spiff up my HTML. I can have it check my page to see if it's correct. I think putting it in "web standard" HTML would help, eh Julian? Since Brinkster has been loyal enough to keep my account open even when I never logged on for a couple of months, I'll be sure to put the HTML files there. I might be a couple of days fixing the HTML in it though, I used to use out-of-date HTML types so I'll convert it a bit and I think I'll be fine.

EDIT: Oh, and I won't mind the queues. I never had an extreme number of traffic anyway. I would host my own site, but unfourtunatly this is a "family" computer, so my web server would be shutdown far too often.

EDIT2: It was on the FAQ? Darn, I read nearly that entire thing a couple of times now and I still forgot *hangs head in shame*

I don't know if it works the same in the US, but here in the UK some internet providers give all their customers a bit of webspace (with ftp access) for themselves, so it might be worth checking that out.

Like I just did - now my site is in a much better place.

Unforntunatly I use, Aliant so I don't get free webspace... without paying lots of extra money. It's a really cheap DSL company. My friend tried setting up an HTTP server with his Internet connection, but they shut him down after discovering a high increase in traffic to his account... and I'm in Canada not the US...

Nanami said:

Don't use MancuNET, it crashes a lot! =D

I didn't think you could use it at all...

I did go there to have a look, but the main page just says "coming soon". And I figured that you and the others with sites there were the founders or something, and the rest of us had to wait for it to "come soon".

just pay.

i run a site for a group at mvras.org

i went thru cleverdot.com

you have many nice options

7.50 domain registration and hosting as low as 7.50 a month, ok maybe lower i think the lowest was like 4.50.

do that, all the free services are complete junk. either pay, or dont bother at all. if u have a static IP you could host your self, depending on ISP. however you still would need to register a domain.

I'm freaking 15! I don't have a solid enough income to pay for anything... I wouldn't be aloud anyway... and about that French site, French may be my to a slight understanding second language, but... I wouldn't be able to operate in it very well. At least this will give me some time to learn CSS and fix up my HTML to today's standards. May take a bit longer than I originally thought though.