Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cadman

Eternal Resources and maps

Okay gang, I've had this itch to work with the Eternal resources. Here we have a great set of textures, flats and sounds and not much is being done with them. At the present time I'm only working on a map for the "flashback" project and I'm coordinating the "Community Chest 2" project. So I'm gonna start my own little project using the Eternal resources, I'm gonna take this one step at a time and not over extend myself on this. I also know that many of you are already committed to other projects as well, but I would be willing to take on very serious mappers only. You must give me a pointer to your previous work so I can look at it. If no one wants to help then that's fine also. Here's my criteria for my project...

*It will be for ZDoom.

*Scripting is allowed within the maps. Global variables and the such can be a serious pain. I've learned that from Dadealus! If scripting is done it must be specific for your map only and not affect the other maps within the set.

*The maps must be detailed and big, just like the original Eternal Doom.

*Texture alignments must be perfect!

*All skill levels must be implemented!

*Lighting effects must be utilized to set the mood of the map!

*No HOM's, slime trails and the such.

*Must have 4 player starts for coop play.

*Deathmatch starts are not needed as the levels will be big and not suited for deathmatch play.

*You must use the Eternal resources for your textures, flats and sounds. No Doom2 textures and flats.

*Need good weapon, monsters, ammo, health and all the other stuff needed to play the map balanced out. Make the maps hard but not impossible.

*I'm gonna start on the first two maps and go from there.

So, let me say it again. This is a project of mine that I'm willing to do on my own but if anyone out would like to contribute a map it must meet the criteria above. If you're overloaded with other projects then don't take on this one. Finish you're other stuff first and then maybe come to this one. I'm gonna release the maps in groups of three because it's just me and I'm not gonna work on this forever. Thanks guys, and I'll try to give you some great maps! The Doom community rocks!

Cadman - Member TeamTNT

Well, [newpr... I mean, better just sit back and wait for you to make the first maps' worth of progress before even considering anything.

Ya, it's a typical "New Project" thread but I already have progress on the first map and will be posting screenshots on "WIP" in a short time. Also, I'm not asking for help on this, only offering the opportunity for serious mappers to participate. So it's not dependent on others for completion. If I do just the first 3 maps and that's it, then so be it. I may do 6 maps, who knows? But this one will have some sort of completion with just a few maps or maybe many maps, we'll see. :)

Cadman - Member TeamTNT

I'll try and get a map together for this. I won't make any commitments yet though. I've always wanted to do something with the eternal resources. :p If I get something decent started, I'll sign up "officially".

VolteFace said:

I'll try and get a map together for this. I won't make any commitments yet though. I've always wanted to do something with the eternal resources. :p If I get something decent started, I'll sign up "officially".

Thanks VolteFace, nothing official I know. I am working on the first 2 maps so those are mine for the time being. I've seen your work so it's fine with me. Pardon me, but I must get back to work on the first map.

Cadman - Member TeamTNT

By the way, what should I use for Eternal resources... should I just plug eternal.wad into the 'External Resources' box in Doom Builder, or is there a separate WAD file I should use?

I would be thrilled to do one in the next set of three maps. To much going on for the next month or two but then I can get started on one for the next set. I love those Eternal textures and have always wanted to do a large map with them.

Map 1 is coming along nicely, I've got some detailing going on as I progress thru the map with some good lighting effects, slopes, mirrors, deep water and the such. Keeping in mind the large level layout that comes with Eternal maps. When I get more done I'll post some screenshots on WIP. Thanks everyone!

Cadman - Member TeamTNT

Mr. NobodX said:

Let's hope it wont be as confusing as the original...

Large maps, by their very nature are somewhat confusing. If you are having trouble with eternal watch some of the demos from the 89 or so they have posted at the teamtnt page. they are excellent!

I think some of the charm with the original eternal doom was the complexity and confusion, it is the trademark of Eternal Doom.

Erik said:

I think some of the charm with the original eternal doom was the complexity and confusion, it is the trademark of Eternal Doom.

I meant i cant stand running everywhere without knowing what to do.

Mr. NobodX said:

I meant i cant stand running everywhere without knowing what to do.

That's what I meant too, except the "can't stand" part.

Well presumably as it's using ZDoom, there'll be cameras to show you what certain switches did. If not, there should be :)

NiGHTMARE said:

Well presumably as it's using ZDoom, there'll be cameras to show you what certain switches did. If not, there should be :)

Sometimes a simple text message can be as efficient. But no matter how, I really appreciate if a mapper gives a clue when you hit a switch that causes an action somewhere else. Normally it highly increases the enjoyability of a map.

Graf Zahl said:

Sometimes a simple text message can be as efficient. But no matter how, I really appreciate if a mapper gives a clue when you hit a switch that causes an action somewhere else. Normally it highly increases the enjoyability of a map.

EXACTLY what i was trying to say. A simple clue, so i dont get lost...

PS: If you need a Cybersweeper game that work with ZDoom...

AWESOME! This is what i've been waiting for. I'm in. I have three huge maps almost done. I have a texture set that is Eternal plus a lot more that i have collected and made which will give more to work with. I'll email it to you. Lets get Paul Schmitz and DIA. I think the three of us are it for the old Eternal guys unless we could drag Jim Flynn out of retirement.
Chris

Okay, I´m in.

I´m just planning another level (or probably hub), but at first i need some testers for my invis.wad - wich also is an eternal map, but will be released as a single file, because it´s not suited for an real "eternal"-sequel. So just drop me a line if you´re interested in testing this thing.

The planned release date is april,1 - so better hurry to get some reviews up to me during the next week. :)

As mentioned count me in on the Eternal-Sequel-Team and be prepared for a slightly different experience if everything turns out the way I just plan it right now. :)

Tormentor667 said:

Well, maybe I'm also interested but with what Resource Wad? The one of Eternal Doom or de Retres?!

Neither. It'll be based on a resource wad that includes RETRES resources as well as others. Think of it as an expanded RETRES, basically. There'll be an official announcement of this as a TeamTNT project later this week.

Nevertheless, I AM without any doubt interested in this sort of maps (see TNT3 Map02) and it would be a great honor for me to participate on a new chapter of Eternal Doom :)