Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Ultimate DooMer

British Politics

So the crucial 2 days of reckoning for Blair and his government are over - and, surprise surprise, he gets off scot-free both times (despite the general opinion over here).

And not to mention that the main tuition fee rebels conveniently backed down just before yesterday's vote - and Blair has been pretty smug for the past few days, as if he already knew what was going to be in Lord Hutton's report.

Co-incidence? I think not. Seems it's not just American politics that are corrupt...

I hope it didn't take you this long to figure that out.

Heh, British politics must be hilarious, with all their funny British accents and such. I hear they yell a lot too. heh heh . . . *runs for cover* :)

Probably as funny as British people watching American politics. :)

God that pisses me off, I hate it when that kind of thing happens. It's difficult enough being a student these days without more fucking fees.

The Ultimate DooMer said:

Blair has been pretty smug for the past few days

Just the last few days? By my count it's well into years.

With things like the tuition fees issue, the problem with Blair ATM is that his commons majority is so huge, it's very hard for him to lose a vote. So he can force through any policy, even with a substantial rebel faction - although the tuition fees thing came close.

Of course, in a few days, he and his people will sit back quite happily justifying their stance because "commons approved it", just like the last unpopular decision. Bah! I don't call a bunch of toadying MPs scared for their jobs and "coerced" into voting with the government "approval".

I'm not saying a change of government is required, just that a smaller commons majority would be a healthy thing. I think we'd see less bulldozer politics in that case.

Still, I've always maintained the best reason not to vote for someone is the mere fact they want to be elected, but meh!

Grimm said:

Heh, British politics must be hilarious, with all their funny British accents and such.

Your train of thought makes me want to strangle someone who says such asinine things as that. Of course, when have I NEVER felt that way?

silly british people running arround calling each other lord, and acting all foolish and unprofessional, each of the parties calling each other names. god, they gotta let the lord stuff go. and island of ugly people named nigel

MaximusNukeage said:

and island of ugly people named nigel

Hey, I live in the UK, my name's Nigel, and Brad Pitt and Keanu Reeves are always 'phoning me up for beauty and fashion tips. :-P

MaximusNukeage said:

silly british people running arround calling each other lord, and acting all foolish and unprofessional, each of the parties calling each other names. god, they gotta let the lord stuff go. and island of ugly people named nigel

You probably weren't serious, but anyways, I bet a lot of people could come up with a similar "definition" of the US of A.

Like: "A country of fat people named [insert popular American name here], suing one another for wearing clothes they don't like"

Heh, that'd be the definition of the USA that my old English teacher would regard as the uncontested truth :-P

I'm not too learned in British politics, but Blair seems to be the worst PM since Neville Chamberlian.

Chamberlain: "Ah, Hitler is a good old chap. Let him take a few countries if he feels like it."

Blair: "Ah, Bush is a good old chap. Let him take a few countries is he feels like it."

Yeah, I know he's done a lot more stupid things besides standing by the Bush administration as they broke all kinds of UN regulations, but thats all my ignorant American mind could dig up. :P

Students who moan about tuition fees are mostly from High earning, middle class families anyway who can afford university anyway. If they didn't spend all their money on grass and shit like that, then they may be able to handle it...

...and I've just spent all MY money on grass, so I'm off for a smoke... ah, the plight of a moaning student...

I wouldn't even bother flaming blair... I'd honesty pop him one in the mouth, the grinning smug cunt.

I hate this democracy... what we have are election campaigns that are basically clever advertising, a conservative party that is like a second arsehole (absolutely fucking useless) a cunt like mandleson running the show and a bunch of shithead Lords who aren't even elected.

Fuck

Fucking hutton report… Lord Hutton. There’s your first fucking clue. Lord, definition: Bandy old drunken shithead.

Christ.

There are red lines running along each side of the Chamber. This means that the Chamber is divided in two. Since Britain traditionally has two main political parties, the Conservative Party and the Labour Party, each party can have its own side.
The party which is in the government sits on the right. The two red lines on the floor must not be crossed, to prevent either side attacking the other during a debate. MPs in Britain do not normally use physical violence, but the red lines are a historical tradition : in the past, MPs used to carry swords into the Chamber and the distance between the two lines is too wide for a sword fight.

fodders said:

There are red lines running along each side of the Chamber. This means that the Chamber is divided in two. Since Britain traditionally has two main political parties, the Conservative Party and the Labour Party, each party can have its own side.
The party which is in the government sits on the right. The two red lines on the floor must not be crossed, to prevent either side attacking the other during a debate. MPs in Britain do not normally use physical violence, but the red lines are a historical tradition : in the past, MPs used to carry swords into the Chamber and the distance between the two lines is too wide for a sword fight.

So, before the red line, there had been sword fights within the Chamber? Cooool!

Your train of thought makes me want to strangle someone who says such asinine things as that. Of course, when have I NEVER felt that way?

Jeez, three in one day! Not even Python_Junkie and darknation beat that! By the way, your last sentence doesn't make sense.

MaximusNukeage said:

ok, and whats the function of these ""lords""

The Lords are mostly a selection of proffesionals, such as Lawyers, Doctors, etc who decide whever or not to allow the goverment to set forth it's bills and make them into law.

It's vastly superior to having Politican's purley deciding on everything, who only do things for the good of their party rather than that which is good for the country.

Danarchy said:

Chamberlain: "Ah, Hitler is a good old chap. Let him take a few countries if he feels like it."
Blair: "Ah, Bush is a good old chap. Let him take a few countries is he feels like it."

omg godwin's law thread killed lolol&

MaximusNukeage said:

ok, and whats the function of these ""lords""

I think they do more or less what Senators do in Congress, but I may be sprouting bullpoo-poo.

Dunno how useful they are :-P

MPs in Britain do not normally use physical violence, but the red lines are a historical tradition : in the past, MPs used to carry swords into the Chamber and the distance between the two lines is too wide for a sword fight.

Probably not too wide for a halberd fight, or...? :-P

dsm: or pikes!

Grimm said:

Jeez, three in one day! Not even Python_Junkie and darknation beat that! By the way, your last sentence doesn't make sense.

The key word in this paragraph is 'Python_Junkie'.