Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
stealth

Are there any REAL Doom fans here or not?

Job said:

Hey dsm, I disagree with saying Final Doom wasn't very scary. Well,not scary so much as atmospheric. It was very, very atmospheric. As much as Doom64, I'd say. However, Doom64 did suffer some coolness-loss with the low frame count of the enemies and some of their designs did suck. Though the cyb was better, the imp was a bit better, the demon was better, etc.

The music in Final Doom was generally of a lower quality than the originals (certainly wasn't scarier - on the contrary!) - that's what I was basing my comment on. As far as level design goes..well..to me it was just a typical Doom 2 megawad.
Of course, Final Doom is a lot harder than the original Doom games (merely to be expected), but that doesn't mean that it's scarier imho. There were no new sounds, no new, scarier monsters and the new music was inferior (and certainly not scarier).
Maybe it's just because I didn't try Final Doom until two years ago.

I agree that the Cyberdemon in D64 was "scarier", but only because they made the rockets faster - the sounds it made were inferior imho. The D64 imp was retarded imo (looked more like a space alien than a hellish demon) and the pinky was merely on par with the original PC Doom pinky, so for the most part they didn't impress me.

So how about it then?

Are we gonna lean more towards story and background, or don't even worry about that and just play the game?

Seems like most of us would prefer a good story to complete what our doom lives are missing...

Dude, you did it again. Are you a fucking idiot or what? You play by the rules or you don't post. And admitadley disregarding the rules will piss people off.

EDIT: See using the "EDIT" button is fun and easy! Something even 13 year olds can master!

dsm said:

I agree that the Cyberdemon in D64 was "scarier", but only because they made the rockets faster - the sounds it made were inferior imho.

I have never heard more pathetic roars in my life, than the ones in PSX Doom and Doom64 (which I think has the same sounds as the PSX ver?). They sound like a fat girl crying about indigestion. Come to think of it, the weapons sounded piss-weak as well. And to top it all off, every sound effect sounded like it had some kind of cheap audio filter plastered over it.

ToXiCFLUFF said:

I have never heard more pathetic roars in my life, than the ones in PSX Doom and Doom64 (which I think has the same sounds as the PSX ver?). They sound like a fat girl crying about indigestion. Come to think of it, the weapons sounded piss-weak as well. And to top it all off, every sound effect sounded like they had some kind of cheap audio filter plastered over it.

I agree, the soundfx was pretty weak, whoa definite bs.

(lol! nice comparison)

Ok, now I've done it again: turned a nice, interesting thread into yet another PC Doom vs. Doom64 thread. Guess I'd better try and fix what I broke by saying that we all have our own tastes.

My own taste in regards to Doom64 and Doom 3 is that if Doom64 could become a successful Doom game, then Doom 3 sure as Hell can too, because imho, Doom64 doesn't feel all that much like classic PC Doom - more like a mix of Quake 1 and Doom and perhaps even HeXen.

So what if Doom 3 doesn't feel like Ultimate Doom? It will have its own awesome feel that will "update" the Doom concept (story wise and design wise). Whether you like the new feel will be pretty much up to you. So far, I like the looks of it for the most part.

Are we gonna lean more towards story and background, or don't even worry about that and just play the game?

Both afaik. There's a compelling story line, but you don't have to keep up to speed with it if you don't care. The game is still mostly about gunning down pure evil like it should :-]

dsm said:

The music in Final Doom was generally of a lower quality than the originals (certainly wasn't scarier - on the contrary!) - that's what I was basing my comment on. As far as level design goes..well..to me it was just a typical Doom 2 megawad.
Of course, Final Doom is a lot harder than the original Doom games (merely to be expected), but that doesn't mean that it's scarier imho. There were no new sounds, no new, scarier monsters and the new music was inferior (and certainly not scarier).
Maybe it's just because I didn't try Final Doom until two years ago.

I agree that the Cyberdemon in D64 was "scarier", but only because they made the rockets faster - the sounds it made were inferior imho. The D64 imp was retarded imo (looked more like a space alien than a hellish demon) and the pinky was merely on par with the original PC Doom pinky, so for the most part they didn't impress me.

Again, I'm afraid we part ways in opinion here. I feel the music in Final Doom was/is fantastic (as I might've said earlier) because it goes very well with the atmosphere which is boosted by the colored lighting. I want to assure you that I'm strictly talking about the PSX Final Doom, not the PC one. As for the Doom64 cyberdemon, I meant better appearance wise. If I'm not mistaken, he's a bit taller, and simply looks more menacing, wolf-like...which is an interesting take. He looks more lithe and muscular than stubby and short. The Doom64 incarnation is to the PC cyberdemon as Luigi is to Mario.

except the d64 cyberdemon looks cooler than the pc one. I liked them all, but i think d64 was the scariest, also most slow paced and obsesive of all the doom games. and as for the imp, it did look a bit alienish, but i think its still looked better than the pc imp. in fact i think everything in d64 looked better, but thats just me.

you want doom you say? playing doom64 several hours straight in your basement in the pitch black, right when you think everyone is dead and your about to beat a level on watch me die difficulty, and then something tries to know your face off, I almost lost my skin a few times. I want that back with doom3. actually the only downside to d64, that i hope d3 fixes, the incredibly slow pace of combat.

Job said:

I want to assure you that I'm strictly talking about the PSX Final Doom, not the PC one.

Ahhhh, why didn't you say so earlier? :-)
I've never tried PSX Final Doom, so I wouldn't know - I just didn't find PC Final Doom to be anything special.

As for the Doom64 cyberdemon, I meant better appearance wise. If I'm not mistaken, he's a bit taller, and simply looks more menacing, wolf-like...which is an interesting take. He looks more lithe and muscular than stubby and short. The Doom64 incarnation is to the PC cyberdemon as Luigi is to Mario.

Ah yes, I agree that it appears more menacing as far as size goes. I still prefer the PC cybie for some reason (it somehow looks filthier), but the D64 cybie is definitely scarier.

Understand that I agree that Doom64 has the scariest atmosphere of all the Doom games - but certain things in PC Doom is better imho. Hell looks more disturbing, most of the monsters (but not the cyberdemon!) look scarier than the D64 versions.
Those were my points - and of course, personal taste is the keyword here ;-)

i think d64 was the scariest, also most slow paced and obsesive of all the doom games.

Uhhh, slow paced? I just beat the Doom64 TC yesterday and I found it to be heavily action-laden and fast moving. Could you please elaborate?

I want that back with doom3. actually the only downside to d64, that i hope d3 fixes, the incredibly slow pace of combat.

No such luck I'm afraid. It's already official that Doom 3 will have a much slower pace than the typical Id shooter. You move a lot slower and the game doesn't constantly throw large groups of monsters at you, rather there will be lots of quiet areas where monsters will suddenly ambush you.

dsm said:

Uhhh, slow paced? I just beat the Doom64 TC yesterday and I found it to be heavily action-laden and fast moving. Could you please elaborate??

It's been years since I actually played it on the console, but I seem to remember it being slower moving than the PC version. Whereas the speed is the usual PC doom speed in D64TC.

ToXiCFLUFF said:

It's been years since I actually played it on the console, but I seem to remember it being slower moving than the PC version. Whereas the speed is the usual PC doom speed in D64TC.

K, thanks for the heads-up.

ToXiCFLUFF said:

I have never heard more pathetic roars in my life, than the ones in PSX Doom and Doom64 (which I think has the same sounds as the PSX ver?). They sound like a fat girl crying about indigestion. Come to think of it, the weapons sounded piss-weak as well. And to top it all off, every sound effect sounded like it had some kind of cheap audio filter plastered over it.

huh? to be honest I dont even remember the d64 cyberdemon having a roar, maybe the TC had a fill in sound?