Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Disorder

Bunnyhopping

Watch in horror. Of course this is exaggerated, it's meant to look funny. And although I find this movie hardly entertaining it does strike a point. Bunnyhopping makes multiplayer gaming less entertaining. What can gamedevelopers do about it?

The new patch for CoD killed the bunny hopping (which really wasn't that bad) but causing a decrease in speed after landing from a jump. That change, and others, has kinda pissed off the majority of the fanbase (mostly because the most anticipated improvements to the game have been overlooked this time). Instead of people who didn't mind playing with the minor gripes, you've now got two factions debating with each other over whether or not the patch made the game better or worse...

This is the kinda thing people have to be careful about when the developers actually continue to support their games. ;)

Bunnyhopping makes multiplayer gaming less entertaining.

Depends on the game. Some people choose to run Legacy at lower grav which makes bunnyhopping quite useful. You can go a long way a lot fast than just straferunning. In games like rocketarena it's a real part of the game. There are games however that shouldn't have it I guess. Imagine multiplayer RtCW space maps with jumppads....

Funny vid. :)

That guy was a terrible shot. He couldn't hit them even when they were about to jump on his head.

Ichor said:

That guy was a terrible shot. He couldn't hit them even when they were about to jump on his head.

I believe they were missing intentionaly. Noone is THAT bad.

BTW, what game is that?

I've seen people that bad many times. They usually end up as rocket fodder or sentry gun bait most of the time.

BHing is really gay, makes the game look dumb, gameplaywise.

Also it looks stupid jumping like a rabbit.

I dunno, in certain games it's a good feature I think. Especially in Q2/Q3 - it takes a lot of mastering to do efficiently, and there is nearly always room for improvement. Anything which is difficult to get the hang of is a good thing in my opinion, as it adds depth.

ToXiCFLUFF said:

I dunno, in certain games it's a good feature I think. Especially in Q2/Q3 - it takes a lot of mastering to do efficiently, and there is nearly always room for improvement. Anything which is difficult to get the hang of is a good thing in my opinion, as it adds depth.

Right
Let's add Chess to quake
So you have to play Chess _while_ you're deathmatching.

Sounds fun? No? Well, bunnyhopping isn't fun either.

/Looks forward to Doom 3 DM where there's supposedly less bunnyhopping.

I think it depends on the game if bunny hopping is good or bad. In games that want to be realistic it's bad, otherwise it's good. You can do some awesome trickjumps in Q3 with bunny hopping :)
A pretty bad example for jumping physics is the Far Cry demo. You can jump like Mario: stand still, jump, and while in mid-air you can move into any direction. BAD!

læmænt said:

Right
Let's add Chess to quake
So you have to play Chess _while_ you're deathmatching.

Sounds fun? No? Well, bunnyhopping isn't fun either.

That's a pitiful example.

ToXiCFLUFF said:

That's a pitiful example.

Actually, I thought it was quite good.

Just because something is hard, it doesn't mean it's fun.

Quake 2 would be awesome to deathmatch in if it weren't for bunnyhopping.
No I don't like bunnyhopping in case you were wondering - makes a deathmatch seem like an insane asylum on steroids.

Geez. That movie is seriously screwed up. I like the part when the guy throws the grenade and blows up around 8 people, though.

Bunnyhopping is retarded. There is no skill at all involved in it, and any non-noob can hit you just as easy. All it does is annoy the fuck out of everyone because they see your character bouncing up and down everywhere like a retarded monkey all the while going "huh-huh-huh-huh-huh-huh".

All anybody here seems to quote is aesthetic reasons. "It looks stupid". Well so do a million other things, like sitting at a computer which all of us do every day. Aesthetics are pretty pointless to bring up on a forum where we play Doom in it's pixellated, flat-floored glory every day. With marines which magically slide around whilst firing heavy weapons.

AndrewB: I never said I strictly equate depth with fun (although I find bunnyhopping - or strafejumping as I usually call it - to be a good thing in Q3. Mixing chess and Q3 is a moronic example, since chess has very little to do with actually moving your character around (which has an awful lot to do with game mechanics) - whereas strafejumping is integrated into the game.

All anybody here seems to quote is aesthetic reasons. "It looks stupid". Well so do a million other things, like sitting at a computer which all of us do every day.

I don't see how this is relevant.

Aesthetics are pretty pointless to bring up on a forum where we play Doom in it's pixellated, flat-floored glory every day. With marines which magically slide around whilst firing heavy weapons.

Doom has great aesthetics. You are confusing it with technology.

Mixing chess and Q3 is a moronic example, since chess has very little to do with actually moving your character around (which has an awful lot to do with game mechanics) - whereas strafejumping is integrated into the game.

If any form of moving the character around is "integrated into the game", and for that reason justified, then why not add waltzing while we're at it?

It annoys me when people jump a lot in RTCW:ET... Although I can still easily hit them if I am using a sniper rifle. I killed two bunnyhoppers in two shots with no delay. It happened again after they respawned.

In war FPS games it is stupid to see people jumping.