Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
cyber-menace

New HUD Objects in Zdoom

I wish to know how to add parts to the HUD in Zdoom. Right now I want to know how to put something in the upper-right hand corner that will show the remaining HP of my specified monster. How can this be done?

I know how to use a HUD message. I'm talking more of a graphical bar that adjusts as the boss's health goes down. I saw something like this as well as many other HUD effects on LittleWhiteMouse's Hellspawn Demo!

You can do that with hudmessage too. Since you can create new fonts, you can import images as characters.

cyber-menace said:

I know how to use a HUD message. I'm talking more of a graphical bar that adjusts as the boss's health goes down. I saw something like this as well as many other HUD effects on LittleWhiteMouse's Hellspawn Demo!

Why not look at the stuff she did?

http://members.lycos.co.uk/Enjay001/

About 3/4 of the way down the page, you'll find a stripped out version of LilWhiteMouse's health bars that she allowed me to post. I don't remember if there is much in the way of a tutorial in the file, but there might be enough to get you going.

The file is described on the page as:

"Give your Enemies a health bar in Boss battles - Zdoom"

There are other little tutorial files and stuff on that page too, but it needs a clear out because a lot is obsolete now due to advances in Zdoom.

boris said:

Lycos should put an epilepsy warning for Opera users on their pages.

I take it the page does something strange when viewed using opera?

Yes, it displays the banner in the right frame on the left side too, but it's flashing like crazy and overlaps the normal page.

I suppose the .sc files are what're supposed to go into the wad right?

EDIT: You know, I think I'm actually getting this. I like these HP Bars. They look A LOT better than what I could do. Nobody will mind if I use one of these will they?

cyber-menace said:

Nobody will mind if I use one of these will they?

Ask the author for permission.

Problem is finding LilWhiteMouse... I know that user uses the Zdoom forums... but I don't. Asking the authour could be quite hard in this case. Besides all I really want is the graphics. I'll be sure to put a note in my txt file about it. Hmmm...

EDIT: Never mind. I see the user uses this forum too, although not too often by the looks of things. I'll send the member a PM.

Well I got it working to an extreme. The overkill of a monster gets added into the equation, but due to the HUGE number I'm using (Dividing seems to be really messed up in Zdoom) it doesn't make a significant enough difference to really matter. Although it would be nice to stop the overkill from affecting the variable.

Due to the instability of having a health bar for multiple enemies, I've decided to convert the bar to measure how many enemies are left. This works perfectly and saves me about 50 lines of scripting and a whole lot of Tags. If it were only 1 enemy I would reconsider.

Sounds like things look really odd in Opera.

BTW, the graphics in the file:

The ones in the Orig directory are LilWhiteMouse's original graphics. The others were done by me, and based on LWM's. LilWhiteMouse was quite happy for me to put her graphics in an example file for other people to use, and I am quite happy for any of my graphics to be used.

Enjay said:

Sounds like things look really odd in Opera.

BTW, the graphics in the file:

The ones in the Orig directory are LilWhiteMouse's original graphics. The others were done by me, and based on LWM's. LilWhiteMouse was quite happy for me to put her graphics in an example file for other people to use, and I am quite happy for any of my graphics to be used.

Odd, I thought the grunge bar was her's. Ok Now my text file is going to have to say that the HPBar coding was done by LilWhiteMouse and the HPBar graphics were done by Enjay, not to mention the credit I must give The Ultimate Doomer, for the railing texture that's in use. Phew, them's a lot of credits.

Enjay said:

I am quite happy for any of my graphics to be used.

Nice, I'm using your "DOOM 1 textures in DOOM 2" wad. Should it be too hard for you include also the aditional textures from Final DOOM, and/or the DOOM alphas? (sorry for this cyber-menace, but I don't want to open a new thread just for this).

Well, I don't particularly plan on adding those at any stage. That wad was specifically put together to allow Doom1 maps in Doom2 easily. The fact it makes some spiffy Doom1 textures available in Doom2 is just a bonus. However, if you feel like doing it, crack on as they say.

The alpha ones would be easy to add. So would most of the final Doom ones. However, quite a few of the final Doom switches and animations are modified versions of the Doom1/Doom2 ones. So changing them to look like the final doom versions would make them not be like the original ones.