Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TH-555

vvision's xbox port

vicarious visions is porting doom3 to the XBox, anyone have any idea if there will be a simultaneous release with the PC version?

I mean since activision forced PC version to come out later could it synchronize the dates?

TH-555 said:

I mean since activision forced PC version to come out later could it synchronize the dates?

It didn't force the game to come out later. Its just not done yet. No it will not come out at the same time as the PC version. How do I know this, you ask yourself? Common sense told me actually. If it does, I will personally buy you the X-box copy the same day I get my PC copy. : )

if you ask me, a 4+ month delay just gave id software some time to add some stuff. hope for an april release, and hopefully xbox version soon to follow. the engine is done right? so soon to release i hope so. maybe xbox version wont be but a month behind. otherwise halo2 might beat it out, and that would blow.

wrong. the xbox is a standardized designated computer, PCs are lots of different types and stuff, so you have to have a really good one to get good graphix, for example:

My computer is at least twice as powerful as my Xbox, but halo looks twice as good on the box. the only people i know who get a good looking halo on PC is with the most advanced graphix cards and the fastest PCs. standardized equipment like the box allows games to take absolute full advantage of the hardware without worrying about system requirements. its only a matter of time before better games come to the box, halo2, doom3, halflife2 etc. and before long consoles will have better graphix.

another example:
the xbox uses the equivalent of a GeForce4, and its cpu is only 700mh i believe, yet halo2 looks(for the most part) as good as doom3 and halflife2, not to mention that ports are actually coming to the xbox.

the only thing missing is mouse and keyboard, and xbox2 is supposed to be able to use them.

what say you to that?

TH-555 said:

if you ask me, a 4+ month delay just gave id software some time to add some stuff. hope for an april release, and hopefully xbox version soon to follow. the engine is done right? so soon to release i hope so. maybe xbox version wont be but a month behind. otherwise halo2 might beat it out, and that would blow.

Since when was Doom 3 delayed?
Afaik, there has never been an official release date, so it couldn't possibly have been delayed.

And the reason it ain't out yet is more likely because there are still bugs and design issues that need to be straightened out.

Sheesh.

true, i suppose, but if there was ever a 2003 release date planned by id, activision wiped it out. we'll never know.

Wrong. Activision has no say on whether the game is done. Yes, id originally planned to release DOOM 3 in 2003, but they wanted to add more polish and cool stuff to the game and refine its gameplay mechanics further, thus the so-called "delay".

If id insisted to have the game out by end of 2003, Activision couldn't refuse. Losing an enormous client like id (IIRC company fortune ~$200 million) isn't really a wise choice.

Scabbed Angel said:

Who cares, the X-box sucks, buy a computer.

Either that, or buy the up and coming "ApeXtreme"(*read that "Apex Extreme") PCgamer's console from Apex Inc and DISCover. The $399 version not the cheaper $299 one. I'm sure D3 would sputter to a near halt on the cheaper version.

dsm said:

Since when was Doom 3 delayed?

When you put up 40x30 ft signs saying "DOOM III COMING IN 2003", then don't release it until sometime in 2004, you call that a delay.

Sheesh.

hey BTW, how do we know doom3 xbx will even have XBL? some titles like madden neither have nor ever plan to use it.

Lord FlatHead said:

When you put up 40x30 ft signs saying "DOOM III COMING IN 2003", then don't release it until sometime in 2004, you call that a delay.

Sheesh.

That wasn't Id's own release date - they themselves kept saying "When it's done, but we're targeting a 2003 release". Targeting a release isn't the same as giving out an official release.

Nope, Activision were the ones who took Id's targeted release date too serious, hence they put up the 2003 release date.

Get your facts straight.

TH-555 said:

the only thing missing is mouse and keyboard, and xbox2 is supposed to be able to use them.

Where did you read that?

dsm said:

Get your facts straight.

Stop being such a ridiculous fanboy. When the most enormous advertisement at E3 says your game will be out that year and it's not, that is a delay. Activision did not say "coming 2003" because they somehow misunderstood id. They said it because they believed the game would be out before 04.

TH-555 said:

My computer is at least twice as powerful as my Xbox, but halo looks twice as good on the box.

Halo PC is a shitty port, so was GTA3. Having a dedicated platform to optimise your code for certainly has a lot of advantages. But it's hardly a fair comparison.

Halo hardly rivals the original unreal in the detail department. Even with the bump maps and the odd shader it's performance is dire.

Halo PC is a shitty port, so was GTA3. Having a dedicated platform to optimise your code for certainly has a lot of advantages. But it's hardly a fair comparison.

Rainbow Six 3.

yeah, halo isnt a great port, but microsoft rushing them took a toll on the consistency, halo is a about 1/4 bumpmapped objects and 3/4 no bumpmapps, even on the xbox, which is a bit tacky. luckily thought 100% of halo2/s objects will have good old hand-painted bumpmapps.

but to go back on topic, clock speed is of less importance on a console becuase it doesnt run a platform like windows or linux, and it has no virus scans or other various programs on it, its a 100% desgnated computer. which means that even though the xbox has a mediocre 700MgH cpu, its framerate rivals any PC game on most PCs, even in larger battles and multiplayer.

luckily for us xbx owners, doom3 supposedly runs better on Nvidia, and the xboxs equivalent of a GeFOrce4 should be plenty enough to run doom3, and should shame the poor people who are running it on their PCs with the minimum required geforce1.

thats another thing too, I hate having other people have better graphix and performance on their newer computers with the same damn game that i spent the same amount of money on. the only remaining thing is online multiplayer, which now w/ XBL i can play unreal championship with by far much less lag than online multiplayer with my PC.