Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Epyo

Spiderdemon or Cyberdemon?

Which is cooler?

I think spiderdemon is way cooler. Just to see all 4 of his legs moving all over the place makin crazy noises. Then when he sees you and bends down, that's when you know to start running but you're probably already dead from his super chaingun.

Yeah, spiderdemon's definitely cooler, I always thought cybs were kind of lame, just a robotic satyr with a rocket launcher, big whup. Spiderdemons have style.

I like the spiderdemons better. But thats just because I hate cyberdemons. They have way the fuck too many hitpoints and are a wee bit overused.

Cybs take too long to kill and never studder or anything, they're just big tough statues with a rocket launcher and it's kind of hard to get much gratification from killing one. They act perfectly healthy the whole time you're fighting it, then it explodes in a big pile of blood.

sargebaldy said:

Cybs take too long to kill and never studder or anything, they're just big tough statues with a rocket launcher and it's kind of hard to get much gratification from killing one. They act perfectly healthy the whole time you're fighting it, then it explodes in a big pile of blood.

Which is why they're awesome.
The Spider Mastermind is just Krang's older brother with four metal sticks for legs. Though I admit that I like the chaingun :-)

Danarchy said:

I like the spiderdemons better. But thats just because I hate cyberdemons. They have way the fuck too many hitpoints and are a wee bit overused.

I hate when I am playing a great map and then I come up against a cyberdemon and it completely ruins the flow the level had.

I don't even bother fighting cybs when I don't have to, they're tough as hell and I don't get much out of killing them anyway. Plus it takes a shitload of ammo.

Although both can become helpful when there is a shit load of other demons around you. The cyb, and the mastermind are good at clearing a path for you to run through and get away!
They come in handy :)
If used correctly...

Both, but I prefer the spiders, I wish that they where stronger.

The Cyberdemon is cooler. The Spider Mastermind is just a huge spider thing with a chaingun. BFD.

KoRn said:

I hate when I am playing a great map and then I come up against a cyberdemon and it completely ruins the flow the level had.

See, now, that's funny. My feelings are almost diametrically opposite to yours. When I come across a cyberdemon in a level, assuming it is well used, I get an enormous kick out of fighting it and killing it. I would much rather have a 1-on-1 duel with a Cyber than be subjected to the (massively overused IMO) 'swarm of revenants' scenario, for example.

Just my thoughts.

Cyber scared me more when I first saw him and a tougher fight into the bargain. The Spider Mastermind just seemed so....lame, I guess, in comparison.

The spiderdemons were the cheesiest monster in the game. The Cyb kicks ass. Try to get the two in a fight and see who wins, and there's your answer.

I think the Spiderdemon is the best. They bring a good challenge. Not like the damn Cyberdemon which takes practically forever to kill, but it's kinda exciting to fight one and kick its arse, I have to admit

Spider 0wnz. The Cyberdemon's rockets are WAY too easy to dodge, while evading the Spider's attack is nigh-impossible if you don't have any cover nearby.

In terms of style, I think the Cyberdemon definetely wins. It's essentially the purest distillation of Doom's theme: the traditional horror of Hell spiced up with a new style and a touch of technology. And in that respect, you don't get much better than a giant horn-and-hooves demon with a gut-splattering rocket launcher. And its sound effects really inspire fear: it's hard not to jump at least a little bit when you hear that thunderous roar for the first time.

In terms of gameplay, though, it's a much closer battle. The Cyber has an incredibly powerful attack and ridiculous hitpoints, but its rockets are fairly easy to dodge and its hitpoints make it fairly tedious to take down sometimes. If you run into more than one or two cyber encounters in a level, they start getting just plain boring. They basically stand there like dumb rocks, taking whatever you dish out and throwing rockets at you. The Spiderdemon has the advantage of having a weapon that, while it might not be as powerful, has the potential to be far more lethal with its tracking ability. Its hitpoints are more reasonable too, which makes battles with them less tedious but still challenging. You'll notice that maps will sometimes have up to 8 or 9 Cybers visible at a time, but you'll almost never encounter Spiders in groups of more than 2 or 3. I'd have to say that they're pretty even for me in this respect.

So to me, they have different but relatively equivalent gameplay aspects, while the Cyberdemon simply signifies Doom better and looks damned cool to boot. Cyberdemon wins by a nose.

Strictly speaking, The Cyberdemon is a tough enemy to battle. The Spider MM is basically a walking chaingun, which is either too easy in close quarters with a BFG or with places to hide behind, or functioning as a lame way to bite into the player's health when far away, kinda like slime floors.

The Spiderdemon and the Cyberdemon are almost the same.

The Cyberdemon's attack is slow but it's strength and health make up for it and the Spiderdemon's attack could level a forest but lacks in strength and health so i can't choose.

OK Cyber.....

The Cyberdemon! Pesky as they are throughout Doom II, there is nothing better than the feeling of self - satisfaction you get after killing one.

The music that goes with the boss at the end of episode 2 is like the Cyberdemon's theme tune. Every time you hear it, he's all that you can think of.

It is also about twice as tough as the Spiderdemon, which makes it a lot cooler to kill. The rockets he sports are also tremendously powerful.

KoRn said:

Exactly my opinion. And if I come across a map that's otherwise good but has a badly placed Cyberdemon I start an editor and remove it. More often than not it really helps improving the map. Well placed Cyberdemons can be a welcome challenge but far too many mappers are utterly incapable of using them right.

Cyberdemon for me. In a formless, large empty arena the rockets are too easy to dodge, but if you are given a decent environment to fight them in they can still be dangerous because of the splash damage. I do agree about them having a few too many hitpoints though.

Whereas with the Spiderdemon, it's an "if it can see you, it hits you" scenario because of it's hitscan weapon. Which basically means it you normally kill it as quickly as possible, since you cannot actually have a stand-off with it.
Overall, I like it if both are used sparingly, especially since I don't like using the BFG on very large monsters.

CyberDemons are good, but thy're sucks rocket throwers.
I don't so hate the Spiders, but they're good, too.
The stupid pokwer of them was maked them to kill one of the two.
You're got than the Spider Mastermind killing his friends?
See level 28-- The Spirit World.