Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Job

ZDoom & Fog

How do you make permeating fog in a level, that stays fairly close to the ground in ZDoom?

You can't have layered fog. It has to extend the entire height of the sector. In most cases, that is.

With the 3Dlights feature, it may be possible to do such a thing, but it would likely be difficult to set up. You'd have to set up multiple layers of fog if you wanted it that way. And control sectors for the fog would have to be made for every level sector you wanted the fog in.

Of course you could fake it via translucent textures, but it'd take a lot of of lindefs to be convincing ;)

NiGHTMARE said:

Of course you could fake it via translucent textures, but it'd take a lot of of lindefs to be convincing ;)

How do you make translucent textures in ZDoom?

Job said:

Okay, last question. How do you make ANY fog at all in ZDoom?

In an OPEN script use:

Sector_SetFade (1, 255, 255, 255);

The first parameter is the sector's tag, the other 3 are the fog color (RGB).

Maybe you find the "ExtraLight" special of use. See the Zdoom wiki for it.
If it works like I think, 8 control sectors would be enough to do all the
Z-fog you want.

I lied. Not the last question... Sorry. How do I make water with depth?

Could anyone tell me what the correct color combination is in order to get brown fog?

Brown fog will probably look like shit in Doom, but you can try these combinations in order of lightness (in R, G, B form):

111, 75, 2
148, 90, 3
202, 123, 4

Fredrik said:

Why would you want brown fog? Making a sewer level?

Well, I have some sectors with the slime01 floor and I thought it'd be a nice touch.

Does anyone have an example of a default mapinfo.txt I can use for reference's sake?

Job said:

Could anyone tell me what the correct color combination is in order to get brown fog?

You might want to check out /pub/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/s-u/tnt3.zip. Best of brown IMO.

Job: zdoom.org has a lot of information about zdoom editing. If you can't find it in the reference, look in the wiki. If it's not in the wiki, post on the zdoom forum.

And, to use other work as a reference, just open up other zdoom levels in an editor, and/or extract scripts from them. Many zdoom maps have script lumps that show how their effects were done. (A few authors forget, though. I occasionally am one of them :|)

Thanks for the tip. I'm sure it'll come in handy in the future. :)