Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr. Woot

best monster ever?

david_a said:
That part when one guy tries to perform CPR on another dude and his chest eats his hands...

Actually, I burst out laughing at the 'GLOP' sound effect that was used.

I don't know if he counts as a monster, but The Saint Of Killers from Preacher goes high up on my list.

SlowMotionHobo said:

I don't know if he counts as a monster, but The Saint Of Killers from Preacher goes high up on my list.

no. he's just a bad motherfucker.

david_a said:

I think The Thing from John Carpenter's version of the movie deserves a mention here. It was just so... weird. That part when one guy tries to perform CPR on another dude and his chest eats his hands... Man that was good the first time I saw it:) The scene where MacReady tries to find out who is infected is pretty damn good, too.

Oh yeah. That movie is fucking awesome. Definately John Carpenter's best. That thing is just so damn creepy, and you can never tell who is infected until it's too late.

The Alien. It has acid blood, can survive in space, crawl on walls, strong and brutal as Hell. The ultimate thing to fear.

pregnant with worms said:

no. he's just a bad motherfucker.

Well met! A fellow Garth Ennis/Steve Dillon reader!

One of the only ones that come to mind is the one from Stephen King's Dreamcatcher. I'm too lazy to come up with a better one.

Stephen King was quite the imaginative one. (Not a huge fan of his, but I have to give credit where it's deserved)
I read a short story by him once where an eight year old meets the Devil. Quite a scary description. He looked like a normal person except that his fingers had little yellow claws instead of nails, his teeth looked like shark's teeth (he ate a fish whole without chewing) and coolest of all was his eyes. They were completely transparent, behind which was a bright orange glow, like the inside of his head was on fire. When he stepped on the ground, he didn't leave any tracks. Yet when his shadow passed over grass, it would quickly turn yellow and die.

And I know I'm going to be called a dork for this, but I always found metroids to be an imaginitive creature. I know, they're essentially jellyfish, but there's something just cool about a clear-skinned spheroid with glowing red innards and little teeth.

Scientists.

Oh and Fredrik's scary too :-D

Alien, hands down.

And close to them, the Tyranid Genestealers from Warhammer 40K.

That worm-like creature from Dreamcatcher... anything that has the ability to burs from someone's ass like that deserves a place in the top ten.

I'd say:

1) Alien
2) The Cenobites (the chatterer)
3) Carpenter's The Thing
4) Chic Marin in From Dusk till Dawn (Pussy for a penny!)
5) The predator
6) Jay Leno
7) The boogieman (From a Stephen King's short story)
8) Gizmo (Not freaky, but cool)
9) Lucio Gutierrez (President of my country)
10) Old bog in heaven

I shouldn't have overlooked this, but there are a lot of imaginative monsters in Dungeons & Dragons.

I'll post a few pics and descriptions later on.

All the images are linked to, otherwise this post would be ridiculously huge.

BEHOLDER
http://hyena.kiwibonga.com/dandd_beholder.gif
Beholders are xenophobic, and try to kill anyone not of their species. Even among their own, they attack and dominate each other whenever they can get away with it.
They form groups, segregating each other by the colour of their hides and the size of their central eye, and all believe that their specific group represents true beholderhood and the others are just replicas that can be eliminated.
Beholders cast spells in the form of rays shot out of their many eyes. Rays can charm, (meaning their adversaries won't attack and try to stop their uncharmed allies from attacking as well) disintigrate, turn them into to stone, put them to sleep, or simply just hurt them. It can also telekinetically move objects.

DISPLACER BEAST
http://hyena.kiwibonga.com/dandd_displacer.gif
Displacer beats hunt for food, prefering small creatures, but will eat anything they catch.
They have the strange ability to project the image of themselves a few feet away. It always appears several feet away from where it actually is, meaning characters who try to attack it often miss their marks.

ETHEREAL FILCHER
http://hyena.kiwibonga.com/dandd_filcher.gif
Ethereal Filchers live on the Ethereal Plane, which is an alternate dimension that co-exists with the primary dimension (The Material Plane). They can travel between these dimensions, and prefer to suddenly appear in front of travellers, steal something that catches their fancy, and then disappear.

ETHEREAL MARAUDER
http://hyena.kiwibonga.com/dandd_marauder.gif
Etheral Marauders also live on the Ethereal Plane, but they travel to the Material Plane in search of food and prey.

INEVITABLE
http://hyena.kiwibonga.com/dandd_inevitable.gif
Quoting the Monster Manual itself:
"Inevitables are constructs (machines) whose sole aim is to enforce the natural laws of the universe.
Each type of inevitable is designed to find and punish a particular kind of transgression, hunting down a person or group that has violated a fundamental principle, such as "The guilty should be punished," "Bargains should be kept," or "Everyone dies eventually." When an inevitable is created, it receives its first mission then finds the transgressors and metes out appropriate punishment. The sentence is usually death, althouh some inevitables insist on compensation to the wronged party instead..."
"...From its first step, an inevitable focuses totally on its target. It continues its efforts no matter how cold the trail or hopeless the task. If unable to cross an ocean any other way, inevitables have been known to walk into the waves, transversing the seabed to emerge on another continent months later."
Scary.

MIND FLAYER
http://hyena.kiwibonga.com/dandd_flayer.gif
Mind Flayers are highly intelligent, highly evil beings that dominate other evil creatures. They're sadistic and self-serving. If they ever find themselves in real danger, they leave their minions to die.
They usually communicate telepathically.
Among their strange abilities, they can affect the minds of their creatures and stun them for up to just over a minute. If they wrap all their facial tentacles around another creature's head, they extract its brain and eat it.

UMBERHULK
http://hyena.kiwibonga.com/dandd_umberhulk.gif
Look at the pic.

Tried to think of something new, but Alien was foremost in my mind because it's been mentioned so much... looked around some games and came up with another entry, a recurring nightmare from the FF series (though they've grown weaker as the games progressed, IMO):

http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/fanq/s/t/stantonx/cgbehedel.jpg.html (pic supplied by google, then by the first link I saw)

EDIT: hardly the best ever, or imaginative, but I know I'm in for some pain whenever the first one in the game is encountered.

Hyena said:

All the images are linked to, otherwise this post would be ridiculously huge.

JPG would be better for scans from the MM. And the Chaos Beast is even nastier.

The creature Ballum from Lord of the G-Strings is by far the scariest monster ever.

EDIT: oh, and that monster with all the small red eyes in doom3 is quite cool too.

IMJack said:

JPG would be better for scans from the MM. And the Chaos Beast is even nastier.

Chaos beast? Is that in Forgotten Realms?

Hyena said:

stuff

Ethereal whatevers...are fucking dumb...especialy filchers. Illithids, on the other hand, kick ass.

But, the 2nd ed. Tarrasque is THE ultimate monster. Negative Thac0, -5 AC or so. And you need to use a wish just to kill it.

Hyena said:

Chaos beast? Is that in Forgotten Realms?

No. It's in the regular MM.

Heh...Illithids and Beholders are two of the coolest creatures ever invented. Also cool are Eyeballs, which are tiny beholders that wizards can take as familiars.

Yeah, the Tarrasque is pretty fucking cool (though the 3rd edition pic sucks), but theres some other crazy shit in the Epic Level Handbook, like a stillborn god and this huge monster made of ice that is so big that white dragons have colonies on it's back. Still, the Tarrasque is cooler, just because. :P

Quast said:

Ethereal whatevers...are fucking dumb

But you have to admit they're imaginative.