Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jjim

Running Strife with ZDoom

I have just installed strife version 1.0 from the cd- then ran all the patches updating to v 1.31. Then running with the latest version of zdoom- the program runs ok but the status bar is empty- no health stats figures- ammo - zippo.Any Ideas?

As I said on another thread Strife support is not complete in any source port. Right now it's just something to mess around with. In order to play the full game you must play the old dos version.

Well, Vavoom doesn't do too bad of a job running things. You might want to try that. But, as Gokuma said, Strife support isn't complete anywhere, so it would be best to play the DOS version.

YEP and i cant get any voices working .Is there any port that will load voices.wad and strife.wad ?
Thanks for any help

Retox said:

Vavoom does load voices.wad.

You're right. It doesn't play the comm unit voices yet though (E.g. Blackbird).

Actually, I cant get it to play anything but the first voice sample it loads. Does it work for other people?

I've had agood look at it now.There are some bugs listed at their forums ; http://forums.vavoom-engine.com.
It still allows you to play some of the game. When the next update comes it should be much better.
Does anyone of you strife fanatics know when this might be.

Put it this way - if you want to play it in a hurry, pick up the Vavoom sources and code it in yourself. Janis has a full time job in a game dev studio, so Vavoom (even though it is still being worked on) is not going to carry his full attention.

Strife support in any port is going to take a lot longer than Heretic/Hexen support, because the source code for that game is lost in a cloudy fog of events. That Vavoom even works as well as it does, is an awesome achievement - the hardest part (interpreting the compiled scripts that control the gameplay) is out of the way, but it still needs someone with a lot of time to recreate the actual objects and enemies that make Strife what it is.

chilvence said:

Put it this way - if you want to play it in a hurry, pick up the Vavoom sources and code it in yourself. Janis has a full time job in a game dev studio, so Vavoom (even though it is still being worked on) is not going to carry his full attention.

Strife support in any port is going to take a lot longer than Heretic/Hexen support, because the source code for that game is lost in a cloudy fog of events. That Vavoom even works as well as it does, is an awesome achievement - the hardest part (interpreting the compiled scripts that control the gameplay) is out of the way, but it still needs someone with a lot of time to recreate the actual objects and enemies that make Strife what it is.

I am currently creating a Strife source port based on Prboom sources, as for re-creating everything, its just about possible. However, the scripts will just have to be hardcoded.

I will have some screenshots of my experiment build once I fully implent all the sprites/mobj info. (gokuma's sehacked really comes in handy for this part)