Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GotMeNow

After the release of Doom 3...

After the release of Doom 3, I wonder how much all of the Doom and Doom 2-spawned stuff that currently makes up most of the news in this community will fall to the wayside...

Yeah. Just look at the first Quake; it's still got a community bigger then Doom now. And it's been surpassed by two sequels already.

it'll survive.

after doom 3, there's going to be a whole lot of new people (especially the new generation exposed to doom 3) coming to the forums.

Also depends on how Doom 3-focused Doomworld becomes once the game is released. I don't really see a problem with Doomworld focusing on oldschool Doom and, say, PlanetDoom tackling the Doom 3 stuff.

Skeletor said:

it'll survive.

after doom 3, there's going to be a whole lot of new people (especially the new generation exposed to doom 3) coming to the forums.

Ugh, don't mention it :-P

As far as myself goes, if Doom 3 turns out to be the awesome game I hope it'll become, I imagine that there'll be while where I'll be too focused on Doom 3, but I'll return to classic Doom eventually even if Doom 3 turned out to be as great as the original (this is just hypothetically speaking because of course it won't have that impact).

But yes, oldschool Doom is solid - it'll survive I'm sure.

Yeah i mean 10 years on and it still going strong, i mean i play doom 1 over most new games like XIII, still doesn't have the same feel.
I must thank the brilliant people over at doomsday HQ community for such a wonderful engine, and giving me the chance to play doom again.

Ya, it will survive. And, With Doom 3 coming out, new people like me will join, and start to buy and play the classic doom, just to se what it is like. The release may even help Doom 1 and 2 get a boost! Also, it will help Id make money, so that they can make a Doom 4 or something! IS that an idea or what?

Weakmind said:

Also, it will help Id make money, so that they can make a Doom 4 or something! IS that an idea or what?

It'll help them make money all right (but I think they'd make money regardless of the game title), but they won't do a Doom 4 I'm afraid. John Carmack said in an interview that their next in-house game would be something totally new - not Doom, not Quake or Wolfenstein, but a new title all together.

Wonder what that'd be...

dsm said:

It'll help them make money all right (but I think they'd make money regardless of the game title), but they won't do a Doom 4 I'm afraid. John Carmack said in an interview that their next in-house game would be something totally new - not Doom, not Quake or Wolfenstein, but a new title all together.

Wonder what that'd be...

I'm pretty sure it's going to be a first person shooter, but it would be cool to see Carmack and the rest of the team work on an rpg....

DOOM RPG! lol j/k :D

Skeletor said:

I'm pretty sure it's going to be a first person shooter, but it would be cool to see Carmack and the rest of the team work on an rpg....

DOOM RPG! lol j/k :D

Heh, of course it's going to be a first person shooter - the question is just what the concept will be.
Humans Vs. Aliens? Humans Vs. Mutants? Humans Vs. Evil Rabbits on Sticks?

It *would* be neat if id Software could get hold of an Alien license after Doom 3. Though if they don't, fans will obviously make an Alien mod instead...

Hmmm...Personally, I think id is better off doing something completely original. I tend to yawn at the prospect of most film-based games nowadays, because they never seem to be up to par. Id has always been successful at their original properties, and I have no doubt that they can continue this tradition.

dsm said:

Heh, of course it's going to be a first person shooter - the question is just what the concept will be.
Humans Vs. Aliens? Humans Vs. Mutants? Humans Vs. Evil Rabbits on Sticks?

Actually, I read that when they were deciding their next game, Id were either going to do an RPG called Quest, or make Doom 3.

So I wouldn't bet on it. :P

Fredrik said:

A role-playing game from id Software would certainly be interesting too.

Not if it takes place in some 'gothic' environment...please...something new! :P

Shaviro said:

Not if it takes place in some 'gothic' environment...please...something new! :P

How about a space/tech theme where you fight hellspawn? ;P

Well, seriously, why not. The theme hasn't exactly been done to death in RPG's.

I want a PC side-scroller with Castlevania/Super Metroid gameplay, Metal Slug X detail/gore and Doom III graphics. Now that would be an interesting project for id to work on. Especially since a game like that isn't likely to take four years to produce.

But I'm guessing it'll be a first-person game again, though I'm not so certain it's going to be a shooter per se. We'll see.

Fredrik said:

How about a space/tech theme where you fight hellspawn? ;P

Sounds pretty good to me. Doom RPG.

A first-person action RPG set in an expanded Quake1 universe would rock. A Lovecraft inspired mystery / horror story with all the original Quake monsters and settings in it (generously redesigned of course).
The game would start in a small town in the 1920s and include journeys to the different strange dimensions. The weaponry could be a mix between WW1 guns, retro Scifi weapons (Tesla gun etc.), an old western double shotgun, and "medieval" melee weapons found in those other dimensions. The story could evolve arround sinister cults, gouvernment conspiracies, freelancers and adventurers illegally using the slipgates ect.
Special skills could be technical (doors, traps, ...), decrypting runes and horrendous glyphes, and magic.

I think the opposite would occur-- like we've been seeing with the '10 years of DOOM' articles. A general type of "nostalgia" will give the original games a bump in the popularity department.

It's funny applying the word "nostalgia" with an experience that still feels like last week. I can't even believe HL has been out for five years, let alone DOOM for 10.

Anyway, after the release of DOOM3, I'll play it out for a few weeks. Then I'll incorporate it into my DOOM1/2, MMORPG, and Playstation 2 rotation.

Classic DooM will stay alive as long as the fans want it to - and judging by how many times I've fought people saying "Dude like Quake is da shit and DooM Sux0rz!!!1" and won, this will be quite a while.