Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jonmoogle

Better way than 3d downloads?

I really love it when 3D Downloads loses my place for some unexplained reason and sets me back to #130 in queue, especially when I'm down to like #9 and about to download within the next twenty minutes.

Has anyone ever played Immoral Cumbat? It's a 3D game built on Wolf3D's engine or a similar one.

I thought that was repackaged as 'Daikatana'.
okay, enough Romero-bashing... the guy's a game-coding god for pete's sake. :)

DEMOn said:

I thought that was repackaged as 'Daikatana'.
okay, enough Romero-bashing... the guy's a game-coding god for pete's sake. :)

Actually, Romero was never much into coding. When Id became a big company, it was mostly Carmack who did the programming, while Romero was noted for his terrific design talent.

Romero coded the editor and AFAIK a few parts of the Doom engine. He's also Monkeystone's lead programmer.

I didn't say Romero wasn't a good programmer, but that he mostly did other things for Id's most successful games. I also don't think he did much programming in Daikatana, but I'm not sure.

You're all correct, AFAIK.
I was just trying to say that he deserves more respect than he has gotten recently. :)

3ddownloads sucks ass, too much waiting time, is worse than Fileplanet at times.

I guess you could always make your own file server. They have to have some way to control the banwidth, as well as make a fair way for people to get files. If not for the queue then people could sneak on and start their download right before you click on it for the 50th time. This way it's at least fair, and it keeps their servers up and running for the most part.

why don't you download the stuff from 3ddownloads, and then upload them to the archives so in the future people won't have to get that stuff from 3ddownloads? that's what i did with the batman tc.

Fredrik said:

AFAIK a few parts of the Doom engine.

yep, he did the coding for all the sector effects. he might have done other things as well.

sargebaldy said:

yep, he did the coding for all the sector effects. he might have done other things as well.

Grunt work rather than advanced coding... but someone has to do that as well :)

Though one might wonder why they didn't simply use generalized actions from the start.

3ddownloads is always shitter than fileplanet. i just lost my place in their line. went from 2nd to 88th or something.

i always got the impression that romero was mostly a big ego and carmack was the mastermind behind the scenes.