Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Mogul

Multiplayer physics

I was reading through some of the QuakeCon 2003 articles from last August, and found one that I'm not sure I've ever read.

For those of you that have played Quake III, you know that strafe jumping is possible. It's not merely "bunny-hopping" like in older Quake I engine games. It was a combination of both continually jumping in a direction, but also adding a specific amount of strafe, so that the player is moving forward, basically, but at a very rapid rate.

It has been known for a while that strafe jumping and rocket jumping were going to be in Doom 3, but in the article I read, it was noted from Fred Nillson that "strafe jumping and rocket jumping will be possible in multiplayer."

This brings about something I hadn't thought of them doing.

I had just assumed that these abilities would be in single player, also, but realistically, when you look at the (supposed) pace of the single player game, and the atmosphere they want to set up, strafe/rocket jumping doesn't seem like a very good match at all. He didn't mention single player in that statement at all, but it seems that he singled out MP to discuss those movement features.

However, these things are basically CRUCIAL at the high levels of Quake III competition, and they definitely add a twist (with speed) to the gameplay.

So - I think maybe they might alter the physics of player movement in MP to be more Quake III-ish than they are in the SP mode.

Talk.

mje said:

So - I think maybe they might alter the physics of player movement in MP to be more Quake III-ish than they are in the SP mode.

I think that's exactly what they're going for. The single player running speed is still pretty slow for a deathmatch, so they'd be stupid not to. I'm sure they know what they're doing.

Lord FlatHead said:

I'm sure they know what they're doing.

Yes. No matter what you think of id Software's games, you can't deny that they've nailed the controls/player movement in all of them.