Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bartwart

Ways to improve monster bosses

The SMM needs some beefing up. In a one-on-one duel with a cyb he get's his ass handed to him. The SMM's chain gun is actually a chain shotgun(the zombie sargent's gun, only rapid fire). I tried to give the SMM a chain supershotgun - effectively turning him into a big shrapnel firing machine - in a bex patch, but the game doesn't support letting monsters use player weapons.

With monster infighting, the bosses should be given a special immunity so that the minions won't turn on them just because they accidently took a shot from them. For example, a little imp should be in awe of the SMM, and not take a cheap shot at him. The minions don't turn on the Archvile when the archvile attacks them. Is there a way to extend that special status to the SMM and Cyb, or is that a unique case? Boss infighting is fine - a sort of establishment of dominance.

Of course, the changes would have to be in some kind of dehacked or bex patch.

Is any of this feasible or am I talking out of my ass?

In heretic/hexen the monsters don't attack bosses.

The monsters don't attack arch-viles because the attacker seems to be the flames. In Zdoom all monsters attack them.

If you make the arch-vile attack only use the finals frames, it will be weaker, and monsters will attack him

Vegeta said:

In heretic/hexen the monsters don't attack bosses.

Hmmm. I wonder if that characteristic is transferable to doom monsters......hint hint ;)

Ok. Here's another idea: have body guards to protect the bosses. Example: if my SMM, minding his own business, get's attacked by a hell knight, his horde of revenant body guards(or whatever) turn on the hell knight.

Eh? Nay? Would the infinite options in bex and deh allow this?

bartwart said:

The SMM needs some beefing up. In a one-on-one duel with a cyb he get's his ass handed to him. The SMM's chain gun is actually a chain shotgun(the zombie sargent's gun, only rapid fire). I tried to give the SMM a chain supershotgun - effectively turning him into a big shrapnel firing machine - in a bex patch, but the game doesn't support letting monsters use player weapons.

Try putting a Cyberdemon and a Spider at close range. They spider will almost always win. The chances of it winning get smaller as the distance between them increases, since it's shots fan out. At point blank range though, the Cyber barely stands a chance.

If you want to make the SMM a dreadful opponent, just use a simple dehacked patch to increase it's health (try 4000), speed (try 15), and reaction time (try 2). It works like a charm. (The reaction time is the hint here)

bartwart said:
With monster infighting, the bosses should be given a special immunity so that the minions won't turn on them just because they accidently took a shot from them.

The Eternity engine supports this.