Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
chubberz

Alternate music devices

Im just 14 now, but i remember the comp i used to play Doom and Doom 2 on was just a Windows 3.1

That was when iwas just like 6-8 yrs old, but for some reason, since they used to run in DOS, not WINDOWS, and used some other sound system, not MIDI for the music, i remember the music sounded different.....actually, if not, BETTER, than the Doom games for Win 95.

The instruments in the music (if they were, lol) sounded more realistic and the music wasnt just little bleeps and stuff (kinda what midis are i guess), and i remember instead of MIDI, the sound was used by "SoundBlaster", but when i try to download a DOS game of like a heretic demo or something, when i set the music to soundblaster in the setup, every time i start up the game there is no music :(

Can anyone else remember that "awesome" but "forgotten" music in the old way of playing doom in DOS?

If so, tell me what u can remember about it.

Yes, Doom's internal MUS player sounds pretty good on a 16 bit Sound Blaster, since it has a distinctive vibe effect that sounds quite moody and fitting for the game. But such playback isn't really realistic in the instrumental sense. A source mod with an advanced MIDI setup might sound much more like "real" music, although one might question how that may fit in for a game with pixel-showing artwork, "two and a half dimensions", and limited sprites.

Like a good number of people, I still play the actual DOS game with music playback; you just need A DOS compatible OS and a card with good Sound Blaster capabilities.

In your case, either your card doesn't support Sound Blaster stuff properly, it isn't set up properly, or otherwise your operating system doesn't support DOS fully (perhaps being Windows 2000 or XP.)

I know exactly what you are atlking about. I loved how the DOS games played music on my old Sound Blaster Pro.

If any source port figured out how to replicate the DOS DOOM kind of music easily, it would be so awesome. In my opinion, many of the subtlties in the music were lost in the transition to MIDI in Windows ports of DOOM.

ZDoom can emulate the original's OPL MUS playback. However, to get it to sound right, the frequency has to be turned rather far up (OPL chips played back at a frequency of 49+khz, or some such), and doing so requires a pretty hefty processor.

What truly sucks is that the sound code in the original doom source is liscenced by another company, NOT id. That means that it is not under GPL with the rest of the souce code. That's why all the other ports either use Allegro or FMOD. If anyone can track down said company and get them to release it as GPL, would rival the pope.

Edit: I just realized that an old lump manager may have used that old sound code. NwtPro 1.14b.

AlexMax said:

I know exactly what you are atlking about. I loved how the DOS games played music on my old Sound Blaster Pro.

If any source port figured out how to replicate the DOS DOOM kind of music easily, it would be so awesome. In my opinion, many of the subtlties in the music were lost in the transition to MIDI in Windows ports of DOOM.

Ya....i really miss that music, and i will never get to hear it agian, because my old comp is gone, i sold it a while back......how sad :(

i found out something that is not as good as my old dos comp but is definetely different, so if u guys have zdoom give this a try:

Go into options, sound options, advanced options, then turn Enable MUS Music (or something..) on, and set the Playback to as high as it will go (number starts with a 6)

It sounds a little cheap-o like but is pretty cool, i still miss my DOS comps awesome music.....does anyone have any idea of how to get it back by using DOS??????????

chubberz said:

i found out something that is not as good as my old dos comp but is definetely different, so if u guys have zdoom give this a try:

Go into options, sound options, advanced options, then turn Enable MUS Music (or something..) on, and set the Playback to as high as it will go (number starts with a 6)

It sounds a little cheap-o like but is pretty cool, i still miss my DOS comps awesome music.....does anyone have any idea of how to get it back by using DOS??????????

I just put the MUS sound to 48000 hz and i think that is almost how it sounded on my DOS!!!! so many good memories........ :P

Try out timidity as well (with Zdoom, youll have to dig around the downloads page for it)

Completely different, but you can get a decent quality set of instruments to go with it.

[edit] on second thoughts... its not even available for download anymore. Eh?

chilvence said:

Try out timidity as well (with Zdoom, youll have to dig around the downloads page for it)

Completely different, but you can get a decent quality set of instruments to go with it.

[edit] on second thoughts... its not even available for download anymore. Eh?

aw....too bad :(

any other suggestions????

Hmm, its just been hidden from the download page. Here it is:

http://www.zdoom.org/files/timidity4zdoom.zip

+ A set of patches to use with it (just one example, I'm sure you could find different patch sets if you look around):

http://www.stardate.bc.ca/eawpatches/html/default.htm

Theres plenty of instructions in the timidity zip, enough for you to work out how to use it.