Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
timmie

Demo map

Heh, as 0.75 draws nearer, I figured making a demo map would be nice to show how to use the new features like the shader system and enhanced hires texture management. So far making the map has turned up a few bugs in the shaders that I never even really thought of :)

So anyway, here's an early screenshot of it: http://timmie.squabble.org/screenshots/gldemo_1.jpg

The map uses "Front Line Assembly - Providence" for the soundtrack, so it has a cool (imo) etheral feel to it. You can grab that here if you want (it's a pretty cool song): http://www.frontlineassembly.com/media/mp3/FrontlineAssembly-Providence.mp3

Its very moody...

I think you should throw in a recursive mirror example somewhere, its definately a striking effect.

Looks pretty cool, though if you ask me that kind of blue tint looks out of place in everything except strictly techy maps.

A little clip of some of the shader work in the demo map: http://timmie.squabble.org/screenshots/shader5.mpg

The glowing effect is a simple alpha mask that cycles between 0 and 50% transparency with an additive blend func. There's also some finer detail stuff in there but it didn't come out in the video at all.

shader DOORYEL
{
   layer DOORYEL
   {
   }
   layer YELMASK
   {
      blendFunc GL_SRC_ALPHA GL_ONE
      alpha cycle sin 0.0 0.5 2.0
   }
   layer COMPBLUE
   {
      alpha 0.35
      scale 0.25 0.25
      vector 0.0 -0.25
   }
   layer FWATER1
   {
      alpha 0.5
      blendFunc GL_SRC_ALPHA GL_ONE
      texgen sphere
   }
}

That's looking awesome Timmie. Since wall/floor textures are interchangeable in Zdoom, I presume you can apply a texture with a shader to any surface?

Slide (over at newdoom) pointed out how the fog looks a little bit thick - maybe you should have a few variations on the fog colours to make them jDoomers a bit jealous ;)

heh, consider it done! Although I think I'll stop with the screenshots now until 0.75 comes out or people will be too ready for the visuals :)

edit: of course, the beta testers will still get preview versions of it as I go...

chilvence said:

Slide (over at newdoom) pointed out how the fog looks a little bit thick - maybe you should have a few variations on the fog colours to make them jDoomers a bit jealous ;)

I am not sure if what I am thinking is the same thing or not.
How hard would it be to have 'patches' of more dense fog? The fog would be darker in some areas.
I guess the only problem would be making where the 'dense' fog is consistent with player movement...

Unless you used the players position and the direction they are facing to calculate what areas look darker.

aye.. too confusing for me. I doubt it would be possible... if it was it would be cool. Actual 'fog' instead of ambient colour.

Ok, I lied about not posting new screenshots :(

http://www.timmie.squabble.org/screenshots/shader6.mpg

As for the different areas of fog, the fog uses the fade color of the sector along with the sector light level, so by altering those two parameters you can change the fog in different sectors. That video actually has different colors and densities of fogs, actually. It may not be exactly what you're talking about, though...

timmie said:

Ok, I lied about not posting new screenshots :(

http://www.timmie.squabble.org/screenshots/shader6.mpg

As for the different areas of fog, the fog uses the fade color of the sector along with the sector light level, so by altering those two parameters you can change the fog in different sectors. That video actually has different colors and densities of fogs, actually. It may not be exactly what you're talking about, though...

Heh, nice looking stuff yet again - the receding blue fog looks awesome.

Korn: ZdoomGl seems to support volumetric fog, so with a couple of fog sectors (I think) it's possible to achieve an effect similar to what you described.

I was thinking more of a gradual change in fog colours or density, to show off that fog can be different between sectors (jdoom can only have fog on the whole map, or not at all)

But that pulsating fog definately looks good :)

chilvence said:

I was thinking more of a gradual change in fog colours or density, to show off that fog can be different between sectors (jdoom can only have fog on the whole map, or not at all)

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but different fog in different sectors has always been possible in ZDoom.

That glass effect is seriously cool. Can you break it as well? You could use the traditional Doom method for that.

hehe, the glass isn't breakable right now since I am a complete n00b at mapping. You won't believe how long it took me to figure out how to make the lines translucent :)

boris said:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but different fog in different sectors has always been possible in ZDoom.

I know, thats why timmie should show it off (even if it is only a side effect of ZDGL being based on Zdoom). It just looks good :)