Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Scabbed Angel

Flash Menu Help

I am currenlty working on a flash site and attempting to add a menu using this tutorial: http://www.cbtcafe.com/flash/flyoutmenu/flyoutmenus.html When I finish teh menu and load it into my movie, and add an action to each button to load the next scene, nothing happens. This is what I am doing:

-Double clicking "Mainmenu" to open up the movie clip
-Selecting one of the buttons (ie "Product" or "photo")
-Under "Actions-Button" Adding actionscript

onRelease gotoAndPlay("Scene 3, Frame 1"); ....Like that, I'm not at my computer right now, so that's not exactly it. . . but you get the idea.

Go back into scene 2, scence that the menu is in, and click and Wala! Nothing happens. Can any of you help me with this?

Silverwyvern said:

on (release) {
gotoAndPlay("scene 3", 1);
}

You had this?

yeah : ( How familiar are you with flash? I'm still pretty new. Does it look like I'm doing anything wrong.

"Don't use Flash, Mr. Anderson. . ."

I was wondering how long it would take for you to make that comment.

If someone who has a working knowledge of flash and some free time could download the fla from that site and try it that would be really cool. Or if you would be interested in helping let me know and I'll send you the FLA file and maybee you could look to see what I'm doing wrong. I'd really appreciate it.

What you're doing wrong is that you're using Flash when there are much better technologies out there (HTML, for instance).

Fredrik said:

What you're doing wrong is that you're using Flash when there are much better technologies out there (HTML, for instance).

I didn't post to argue about which is better... this is the technology I want to use/have a working knowledge in. At least I'm not using frames : )

Scabbed Angel said:

(that damned Fredrik pic once more)

I think it's time that "fredrik.jpg" got moronized.

Grazza said:

I think it's time that "fredrik.jpg" got moronized.

After two times already?

I must be a horrendous sight :\

Well OK, let's wait until it has become an epidemic. Or you could change the picture to something offensive and then ban everyone who has linked to it. :p

Grazza said:

Well OK, let's wait until it has become an epidemic. Or you could change the picture to something offensive and then ban everyone who has linked to it. :p

; p

Sorry to double post but I wanted to let you all (mostly for people using flash that might have this problem) If you are trying to set an actions from within a symbol like my menu button problem, the symbol cannot recognize that thereis anything outside the symbol so "gotoAndPlay" etc will not work, you must make a layer name for the target field (ie scene3) and use this action:

on (release) {
_parent.gotoAndStop("scene3");
}

and then it will work and you can stop threatening your computer with "an accidental coffee spill on the motherboard". : )

That only works if it's a clip on the main timeline. You'll run into problems if it exists within another movieclip. It's better to use something like:

on (release) {
_root.gotoAndStop("scene3");
}