Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
chubberz

Editing for N00BS (this is a tutorial)

THIS THREAD WILL HELP ANY NEWBS WITH DOOMBUILDER.

THIS WILL SHOW U VARIOUS THINGS SUCH AS HOW TO MAKE DOORS, SWITCHES, AND OTHER THINGS............................

ok...... remember that this is for DOOMBUILDER

this might take a while to explain, but ill try my best to help u out........

here is for a test so that u can build off of this for future maps.........

make a room big enough to start in, and make another sector a little ways from it (not very far away tho)

now, make a tiny sector, one in the shape of a door, in between the 2 sectors u just made.

Now, go into linedef mode, and drag the two sides of the
door ur gonna press "use" on to open, on top of the lines on each sector. (or, look at the sample above........look, in the middle of the 2 sectors.....once u have ur door shape in between em, drag the 2 sides of teh door ur gonna use to open it, onto the ['s at the sides of the sectors

now, ur door shoould snap to the 2 sectors, and ur door should be stuck in between them. Drag the sectors closer together to decrease the door width/length/etc.

Now, once it is connected, go into sector mode, click and highlight the door sector, right click on it, change ceiling height to 0 ,and set the sector tag to 1.

Now, go into linedef mode (again)

left click both sides of the door u will press the "use" button on to open, and once they are both selected, right click on one of them.

Now, click teh tab that shows u what the textures will be (forgot what the tab says, but make sure before u click the tab, that the lines are "double sided") Now, all u will need, is the door texture on teh top row to the very left. This will be the texture for the door.

go back to the original tab u used to be on, and set the linedef tag to 1, go back, and set the linedef action to "SR OpenDoorWaitClose"

Now, go back to linedef mode, uncheck the selected lines u just configured, and now, click and hightlight the parts of the door that are shown right after the door opens. here is an exmaple to better explain it. (the * symbols are the parts i want u to highlight.

[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
[ ]

k, once u ahve these highlighted, right click on one of them, and check "lower unpegged"

just leave the texure what it is.

Now, go into things mode, put ur start location down, save the map, and test it.

The door should work.............if it doesnt, try reading these instructions more carefully.........

(to make this easier to seperate, i will post again and put how to make switches do things)

Why the hell should we trust a guy who can't ever spell "you're" correctly to make a Doom Builder tutorial? Besides, it should be faily easy to figure out how to use it.

MAKING SWITCHES THAT DO THINGS:

(remember, this is for DOOMBUILDER)

Ok, this is quite simple..................just pay close attention...

make a starting sector, now, once that is done, make a really small sector that is the shape of a square inside of it.

Now, go into sector mode, and click on the smaller sector that is inside the starting sector. With it highlighted, right click it, and set the floor height to 50.

GO into linedef mode, and click and highlight all sides of the smaller sector. Now right click on one of them (this makes any changes u make apply to all sides) and click the tab which takes u to the texture setter. Now, it should say "MISSING TEXTURE" on one of the slots. If there are any other textures already there, highlight the name below it and press the "-" key to clear it. Now, on the "MISSING TEXTURE" slot, below it in the text box, type in "ASHWALL2".

Now, go back and make it so that u only have 1 side of the smaller sector selected. Right click on it, and click the texture tab again. Now, on teh ASHWALL2 texture, click on the texture graphic, and use the mousewheel to scroll down through them, until u get to the switches...(they have SW before their names)....and select either one (for this sample, it doesnt matter which one)

Ok, now click the tab u were on before the texture tab, and set the linedef tag to 1.

Ok, now youo are going to take steps a little further....

make ANOTHER sector inside of the one you are in......maybe right next to the smaller sector u made......

It doesnt matter what size it is, just as long as its big enough to notice a change if it were to occur to it.......

Go into sector mode, click that new sector, and set its tag to 1, just leave the textures alone for it.

Now, go back into linedef mode, find the side of the smaller sector that has the switch graphic, and on the linedef action, set it to "S1 LIGHT TO DARKEST"

Now, place ur starting location, save your map, and test it.

Now, when u walk up to the smaller texture and activate the switch part of it.... (since u have made no adjustments to the texture, it may now show the switch on it yet, this is called texture offset, ill talk about it some other day on this thread :P ).........and the sector u made after it, should turn dark.

You can use this on the sector u start in also, if u just go back into the editor, select it in sector mode, and set its texture tag to 1, the switch will apply to both the newest sector and the sector u start in, so that the whole room turns dark when u turn the switch on!

This can be applied to situations to make them even more frightening, and once u get this tag, sector, and linedef stuff downpacked, u can make things such as pulling a switch that turns all of the lights out, then, when u go to back away, a room opens up with imps in it!!!

Anything is possible with doombuilder.......u will soon find that out with just a little practice.........GOOD LUCk!!!!!!!!

(more tutorials coming soon, this is all i could accomplish tonight!)

Darkman 4 said:

Why the hell should we trust a guy who can't ever spell "you're" correctly to make a Doom Builder tutorial? Besides, it should be faily easy to figure out how to use it.

i was in a rush......i was doing this under a limited time limit...
also, Its not like im a professional author anyways..........and why do you think i dont know how to use this editor just because i typed "you're" incorrectly????????????????

it just doesnt make sense........so please dont be such an ass over such little things :P

Man i just got back from a party, but it seems you drunk more beer than I did, hehe :P I appreciate the effort, but you should really review some other tutorials before writing one yourself ;)

EDIT: lol I type bad when I drunk

chubberz said:

(more tutorials coming soon, this is all i could accomplish tonight!)

It's sad that most people here seem to think it's really fun to mark misspelled words rather than look at the actual content of the text.

I have never made a map for DooM.
I have only edited graphics and such.
With this little tutorial I might even get the courage to actually make a "crappy" map to see if I can do it.

Chubberz, I would like to thank you for making tutorials like this one.
People like me who don't know anything about mapediting treasure things like that.

ShadowRunner said:

Heh.
This dude said his jaws dropped when he played my map,the same didnt happen when i played his.

What do you mean by that?
Being able to do something and be good at doing something isn't the same thing at all.

ShadowRunner said:

i let him Beta uac base 51.
He then let me beta his little map.
He liked mine,but his wasnt was i expected.

dude....you again........i was nice enough to beta test your map and all, then u not only put down my map i let u test, but u also post a bad reply to my tutorial section.......Just because i cant make good maps doesnt mean that i donno how to make triggers that make doors open and stuff. I know how to do almost anything, im just not much of an architectural guy, so im not good at making textures look nice and matching and stuff......so why put me down???

?????????????????????????????????????????????
And not to mention all u do is brag about your map.....it isnt the best ive played....go to doomwadstation.suhost.com

the KS maps blow yours away, sorry to say, bro

(HERE: http://www.doomwadstation.suhost.com/ks11.html Is an example

Ghostpilot said:

What do you mean by that?
Being able to do something and be good at doing something isn't the same thing at all.

ya, thats the point im trying to get across....i cant make very good maps, but i DO know how to work Doombuilder pretty well....like i said, im just not good at providing sweet architecture and stuff....apparently he just doesnt understand tho....o well....

Hey, thats that site that makes CDs with stuff that can be downloaded from the internet for free. They had such a CD as first price for some mapping contest hehehe.

Now they rate some maps 10 out of 10, meaning better does not exist, but IMO theres maps far better (and even older ones), but thats just my opinion.

Fredrik said:

10/10 doesn't mean that nothing better can exist.

I never said that...i said that they were great maps....

Then 100% is not all? heh you understand what i meant, nitpicker :P hehe
Anyway, this is offtopic and i cant really care less ;)

chubberz:
Look at some classic maps like Alien Vendetta or something more modern like RTC-25613, it may help you ideas for some good mapping.

chubberz said:

i cant make very good maps, but i DO know how to work Doombuilder pretty well.

And that's why your tutorial isn't something for the people who allready CAN make maps.
It's for people like me who doesn't see the difference between a sector and a vertex.

Anyway... Keep up the good work.

CodeImp said:

Then 100% is not all? heh you understand what i meant, nitpicker :P hehe
Anyway, this is offtopic and i cant really care less ;)

chubberz:
Look at some classic maps like Alien Vendetta or something more modern like RTC-25613, it may help you ideas for some good mapping.

k, thx for the tips :P

Ghostpilot said:

And that's why your tutorial isn't something for the people who allready CAN make maps.
It's for people like me who doesn't see the difference between a sector and a vertex.

Anyway... Keep up the good work.

k......im having trouble deciding what tutorial to write next....tell me something ud like to see one on and ill try and get it done either tonight or tomorrow

chubberz said:

k......im having trouble deciding what tutorial to write next....tell me something ud like to see one on and ill try and get it done either tonight or tomorrow

Intelligence would be nice.

Edit: Wow, that's a lot of ? and ...

Maybe some of you guys missed the part of the thread that said "editing for noobs"... oh wait, that was the TITLE.

Well, given the choice between having random tutorials posted on this board or having to deal with posts like "PLZ HELP how to make doorz??!?" every week or so, which would you prefer?

Or for some of you: which option do you have better flames for, allowing you to be more amused at yourselves?

Guys, it's a tutorial for newbies... so surely it actually makes perfect sense that it's written in n00b-sp34k? :P

Besides, considering something like 95% of posts on Doomworld use 'your' instead of 'you're', bringing that particular point up was rather hypocritical.