Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vegeta

Romero's episode

bartwart said:

There's no way he'd do another Doom episode. That'd be like us deciding to make a new lego castle after all these years. He's so passed Doom it's ridiculous. He's gone on with his life.

Not that Romero's promises carry a lot of clout, but he did say so himself that he was at least going to attempt it.

So i'd say there's at least some way he would.

bartwart said:

Insert the words "rocking horse" for "legos" in my original metaphor and see if that helps.

I don't get it.

That's OK if you don't get it. Metaphors from one language sometimes don't transfer well to a person whom that is their second language.

There is no way Romero would ever be 'beyond' DOOM.
the intensity, the impact it had on his personal and professional life, the deathmatch, the memories... everything about the game is right where he wanted to be.
as with everyone here, I'm sure he has countless memories of GREAT times playing/creating DOOM... and perhaps more than any of us, he lived it.
There is no possible way he'd ever 'outgrow' DOOM... or want/need to.

now, if you were talking about John Carmack... then maybe... or perhaps, probably.

Fredrik said:

I understand the metaphor, but I don't understand the logic in your argument.

It's a kind of Cartesian logic with an Aristolian flair, and a healthy mix of Kant and Boolean. DEMOn get's my logic.

Since you refuse to clarify, I'll have to guess: you're saying that we should quit playing with legos for the same reason that we quit riding rocking horses. Correct? Unfortunately, that metaphor is invalid. As I said, playing with legos is a stimulating activity independent of age because it is fun and creative. Riding a rocking horse might be fun, but it's only a creative or intellectually stimulating endeavor for someone with limited motor skills (or someone who is extremely bored).

I feel pretty dumb for having this discussion. It's like trying to explain a joke that fell flat.

This is a discussion about about Romero's career development, it is important to note that LEGOS SUCK ASS!!!!

That is your highly subjective opinion.

And therefore, you still haven't been able to motivate why or how Romero would have "outgrown" Doom.

It's not a "highly subjective opinion". The Bureau of Indian Affairs have done extensive studies on legos and all of them have concluded that LEGOS SUCK ASS!!!!

<DIE THREAD DIE!>

I, as a person with a career and a person who doesn't like to rehash the same old tired stuff, year after year after year, would think that Romero also does not like to rehash the same old tired stuff. And it's not just my opinion either; everyone I know hates doing the same old thing over and over and over again!!!! Where's the personal development??? Where's the challenge!?!? Doom is so passe. He's been there done that!

bartwart said:

I, as a person with a career and a person who doesn't like to rehash the same old tired stuff, year after year after year, would think that Romero also does not like to rehash the same old tired stuff. And it's not just my opinion either; everyone I know hates doing the same old thing over and over and over again!!!

[/b]Disliking something isn't actually an opinion, I must inform you. It may also be of worth to note that it's hardly like the guy has been churning out a constant flow of Doom content for the past 9 years, when you spout phrases such as "year after year after year". And yet another point to consider - if you could try to avoid missing, slipping and impaling yourself upon it - would be that there is plenty of things in life which everyone does repeatedly because they enjoy the activity.

Jesus fucking Christ! Is everyone on this board a fucking Vulcan? The fact that my original and new statement was an opinion should be implicit.

Based on MY experience and the experiences of other, it is MY opinion that John Romero wouldn't bother creating a new Doom Episode.

That'd be great if he did, but I can't find anything to confirm that other than rumor. Even on John Romero's site I can't find evidence that he's doing a new episode. *If somebody has seen it, please post the link* They even have their own thread over there spreading the rumor, but John hasn't stepped in to confirm or deny.

John Romero was talking about doing it on IRC not too long ago. Once someone directed him towards Doombuilder, he said that he would make the attempt. By definition, he is making it; it may or may not get finished, but he's still doing it with what little time he has to himself.

bartwart said:

You fucking know-nothing teenagers are all full of shit. Shame on me for bothering with this forum.

The adult in me is confused by the irony of this statement.

But the kid in me is frightened by the harsh language it contains!

There's actually an IRC log where he said he was going to give it a shot.

You shouldn't generalize the entire forum based on this thread. I also am not a teenager and I have a career. That doesn't change the fact that I think legos rock, nor does it change the fact that Romero said so HIMSELF that he was going to attempt to do a remake.

Someone as old as yourself should realize it's really no big deal.

Breathe.... breathe....

I apologize for the language and coarseness, and trolling. That was totally uncalled for. Gosh, I really overreacted and it's only an internet forum. It's not like I haven't been flamed before. That was really childish of me.

ShadowRunner said:

Im a teen and even I know your a complete idiot.

I've seen some of your posts so I'm not worried about what you think.

Oh well. I like legos. I like Doom.

It's not like Romero's been sticking with Doom during the past ten years so I'd see that as a return to the source. We're talking about a guy that developped 2D games for portable devices not so long ago.

Age, maturity, IQ and the kind of activities that someone finds enjoyable are completly unrellated. You have 50 year old university professors that watch real-TV shows. Not that I endorse that but it's something to take into account in this discussion.

Oh and yes: STOP TROLLING ALL OF YOU BECAUSE I MAY DECIDE TO STOP SMOCKING.

Julian said:

Oh and yes: STOP TROLLING ALL OF YOU BECAUSE I MAY DECIDE TO STOP SMOCKING.

OH GOOD LAWRD NO!

Scuba Steve said:

Hell smock us all!

YOU WISH AND WTF IS WRONG WITH MY CAPSLOCK KEY?ยง?

here