Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kinsie

UT2004 demo release

Onslaught seems to lag like a bitch online for some reason. Otherwise the demo kicks ass.

Damn the vehicles kick-ass.

All the new crazy announcer comments for vehicles ("Fender Bender!" "Road Rage!" "Vehicular Manslaughter!") are good fun, and the personalised licenseplates are a nice touch.

I liked it alot. allthough the 1942 Capture the Flag concept is more appealing.

P.S.
I'm so busy playing demo's lately (Halo, Far Cry, Painkiller, UT2004) that I don't need to buy any games ;-)

It's stupid. You're stupid. I'll all about the graphics now days. Play doom.

Now that we have that out of the way, lets just discuess the demo.

Mordeth said:

Painkiller demo? I've looked for that one, but couldn't find it. Linky?

I think it was a leak, so I cannot link to it. And the leak that is on Kazaa is illegal.

Ct_red_pants said:

I'm stupid, lets just discuess the demo.

Well, It plays more like UT then UT2003, which is good. But it is still more of the same..But I like it.

Zoost said:

Painkiller

What did you think of the leak? I thought it was really dire. The way level progression was so fixed that you'd run around in an arena, kill everything, and then wait for a swirly red particle effect to appear in front of a door which you'd already tried to no avail - but will now open as if by magic.

As for UT2004, it still seems like UT with better graphics. They've slowed the sniper rifle down which is good, and the vehicles are fun to use I think. Not to mention bringing assault back was an excellent choice, and that Assault desert map which comes with the demo is awesome.

ToXiCFLUFF said:

What did you think of the leak?

Well I thought it was lots of mindless shooting, without (the player) being harmed in any way. I think i finished it whith not being killed once. It is just kill, kill, kill. What I did like was the beserk mode! all black and white in a very spooky weird atmosphere, whith all enemies in red. Cool!

Zoost said:

And the leak that is on Kazaa is illegal.

If it would be legal it wouldn't be a leak.

Zoost said:

Well I thought it was lots of mindless shooting, without (the player) being harmed in any way. I think i finished it whith not being killed once. It is just kill, kill, kill. What I did like was the beserk mode! all black and white in a very spooky weird atmosphere, whith all enemies in red. Cool!

Yeah, it was satisfying blowing things to bits in that mode, and the way you had the punching-a-pillow effect where you shot.

BlackFish said:

Onslaught ownz joo..

UT2004 kinda feels like the Doom Conversion to Doom 2.

A game only better :D

A lot of people (including myself) believe Doom 1 was far superior to it's sequel.

NiGHTMARE said:

A lot of people (including myself) believe Doom 1 was far superior to it's sequel.

And some of us don't! :P

Shaviro said:

And some of us don't! :P

Different tastes - it's good that we aren't all alike.

I think I'd join NIGHTMARE on this, although I'm probably thinking of the single player portion.

Danarchy said:

Lame. This is one of the reasons I'm tired of games these days.

Go produce what you're looking for, then, and stop whining.

Shaviro said:

Go produce what you're looking for, then, and stop whining.

Yes, because I have thousands of dollars just sitting around. Maybe I'll go do that.

Well, I finally got around to trying it. So far, I can say it doesn't like 16mb GeForce 2 Go chipsets all that well. I'll have to try it on my Radeon 9800Pro 256 at home. But, so far it's got me interested in buying it.

That onslaught thing with all the vehicles is real fun! I think this with the doom3 engine = quake 4 MP. Must be cool!

Well, unlike the original UT, the UT2004 sniper rifle isn't cheesy. It's very realistic, or at least darn cool, how they limited the firing speed and reduced your chance of getting head shots. I really like how it seems a lot more like the original, yet it's expanded in some areas and is somewhat improved.

I love how the Scorpions have those slicers and you can cut people in half with those things. I also love the Manta, but some people were whining how it was "overpowered".

Well, now that I've tried it, I'm hooked. I think there's been some great improvements over 2003, and seeing that I absolutely loved 2003 (gotta love low-grav 4x jump Instagib games...), I think it shows that it's a good game. I do agree that it seems to play alot like the original UT in some aspects too, which is good because I loved that one as well. I don't like the sniper rifle in this one, though. I prefer the one in the original UT. But one thing I did notice is that it actually performs alot better than 2003 on my desktop. No slowdown whatsoever in 1280x1024x32 with all settings at highest, AA at 4x and AF at I belive 8x. So yeah, I like this game a whole lot.

I won't even bother with that game. Trying to keep up with all mutators and maps for ut2k3 with a modem was hell enough. I don't want to do that again with a new game. That's why I came back to playing doom.

CyberDemonX said:

I HAVE BUT 1 QUESTION!

Is it available for PS2?

Could the PS2 even run the original UT?
Oh it did?
Whatever...PS2 = glorified DVD player

Job: Yeah, I like the sniper rifle myself, but, I don't think the look seems to fit with Unreal for some reason...relative to the other weapons. Maybe it's just me.

Job said:

Well, unlike the original UT, the UT2004 sniper rifle isn't cheesy. It's very realistic, or at least darn cool, how they limited the firing speed and reduced your chance of getting head shots. I really like how it seems a lot more like the original, yet it's expanded in some areas and is somewhat improved.

Yeah, headshots were far too easy in the original UT, the firing rate for the sniper rifle was nuts. I'm real glad they addressed the issue in 2004.

As for the vehicles, I really like the little touches like the manta's crouch'n'squish feature, and the buggy's blades.