Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mogul

New Doom 3 Xbox article on IGN

The core game will be the same, of course, but the game will be tuned to be more console-friendly, so to speak. This means that where the enemies appear, how many of them there are, and such will be adjusted.

What the FUCK does this mean?

Linguica said:

What the FUCK does this mean?

I think it means they will make the XBox version wimp-safe.

you ever tried beating an FPS with a controler and no autoaim? its not as easy as it sounds, unless you are 1337

The core game will be the same, of course, but the game will be tuned to be more console-friendly, so to speak. This means that where the enemies appear, how many of them there are, and such will be adjusted.

According to Saulnier, you're successful in doing such a thing if players don't realize that anything has even been changed.

Isn't this mutually exclusive?

One of the cool aspects about the PC version of Doom 3, though, is that player models no longer have a generous hit box around them. That means you actually have to hit the character's polygons to score damage. Why the change? Because, according to id CEO Todd Hollinshead, as players' skill increases, the targets must become smaller to compensate.

I like the sound of that.

Arioch said:

I like the sound of that.

So do I, but this'll also make for an even less "blast-and-have-fun" gameplay.

Doom 3 still doesn't have an official release date, but we expect the title to surface sometime in the second half of the year.

Hopefully, this is not true.

TH-555 said:

yeah, hopefully I'll get doom3 at least a little before halo2 comes out

*explosive laughter*

Julian said:

So do I, but this'll also make for an even less "blast-and-have-fun" gameplay.

Oh, come on. It'll be more challenging that way...

Prime said:

Oh, come on. It'll be more challenging that way...

Much better way to make the enemies challenging rather than heap a ridiculously large amount of hitpoints on them or make them totally oblivious to taking hits from a bullet weapon as we see in oh-so-many modern FPSs.

I assume we're talking about the single player part here.

My aim and reflexes have been honed by years of playing Counter-Strike. I could take out a zombie's left nut from a 100 feet away, I don't need no stinkin' auto-aim:D

DaJuice said:

My aim and reflexes have been honed by years of playing Counter-Strike. I could take out a zombie's left nut from a 100 feet away, I don't need no stinkin' auto-aim:D

So you'll be waiting for an aimbot to be released before buying Doom 3, then?

Counter-Strike has always had (and always will have) the worst hitboxes in the history of online FPS gaming. Hit anything without a 3 foot radius of the head on the actual model and you get a headshot, for example.

Hehe
I don't believe that's actually true, it's just that the spray of bullets is randomized when you go full auto, so there's a chance of getting a headshot even if your cross-hair isn't exactly aiming at the head. I mean, when you try to shoot an afk you do need to aim exactly at the noggin to get a headshot.

Fredrik said:

I think it means they will make the XBox version wimp-safe.

The game will not be an easier or "dumbed-down" version of the game. The pacing will just be better and more suited to console gaming

Doesn't sound like it to me. They're doing it for the benefit of gameplay on the console.

DaJuice said:

I don't believe that's actually true

I've seen various videos that prove, reproducibly, that in all sorts of odd or not-so-odd circumstances, the models have crappy hitbox placement that allow for all sorts of misses to register as hits or headshots.

Arioch said:

I've seen various videos that prove, reproducibly, that in all sorts of odd or not-so-odd circumstances, the models have crappy hitbox placement that allow for all sorts of misses to register as hits or headshots.

http://www.summerblue.net/games/cs_report/

Hehe, cool stuff on that site (I like how it loads the video right in the page). I'm not sure how much of those errors are still evident in 1.5 & 1.6, I've never really noticed them:/

DaJuice said:

Hehe, cool stuff on that site (I like how it loads the video right in the page). I'm not sure how much of those errors are still evident in 1.5 & 1.6, I've never really noticed them:/

I guarantee you most of them are still in there, and some of them have even gotten worse.

Has anyone noticed that parts of the Revenant seem to be transparant? Perhaps it's in mid teleportation or it's becoming a spectre some how.

Hmm then shouldnt the head be transparant too? Also in the top left we see some sort of portal to hell or something,Quite creepy.

TH-555 said:

isnt the transparent stuff supposed to be like invisible flesh on the bones?

I don't think it's supposed to be anything in particular - it was left on because it was cool looking. Of course, the fans can always think up what it could be :-)

TH-555 said:

wtf was that for? you didnt know halo2 is going to kick ass?

Well sure Halo2 is going to be good. You said, "yeah, hopefully I'll get doom3 at least a little before halo2 comes out". Imo, there's little to no chance that D3 will be released before Halo2.

At least that's the way I understood it.

doom3=second half of 2004, halo2=fall 2004

too close for comfort. i hope they spread it out. d3 in august perhaps? or by xmas? this is annoying

Isnt that article for the xbox doom ? so doesnt that mean that the "xbox" doom will be out 2nd quater ?
Im still gunning for an april release of the PC version.
He hopes. ;)