Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sephiroth

lets go back 20 years

what do you think would be a person's reaction to things we showed them that are common today but either didnt exsist or where extreamly primative 20 years ago.

things i would love to see people react to

modern micheal jackson
internet
weapons system
the fact that Y2K was NOT the end of the world
the collapse of the soviet union
modern computers comapred to there 4Mhz or less, now we got 4Ghz+
the fact that we nuked china, ok maybe not
also hover bikes might sound cool to them

Here's some more:

OJ
Martha Stewart
Political Correctness
The condition of public schools today
DVDs
The missing World Trade Center towers
The missing government building in Oklahoma
Coffee prices
Super Bowl halftime shows (particularly last month)
Realty based TV shows (this will make them glad to be in the 80s.)
Doom

Finding their precious MTV to be nothing more than stupid "reality" shows.

modern micheal jackson
mass suicide, I don't know whats worse jackson or sting
weapons system
wut? the nuclear threat was bigger then, or maybe the cold war thing was overplayed
I didn't have anything that could get the bug back then :(
LOL
no ZX81, no BBC micro! what am I going to play defender on?

Sephiroth said:

what do you think would be a person's reaction to things we showed them that are common today but either didnt exsist or where extreamly primative 20 years ago.

things i would love to see people react to

modern micheal jackson
internet
weapons system

I was an adult 20 years ago so my reaction is:
1) whiter and creepy compared to cool
2) better than JANET
3)nothing much new, just smaller and more effective
4)never really suspected Y2K was anything to worry about, but decided not to fly on 1-1-2000 :)
5)the collapse of the soviet union was more "collapse of Berlin wall"
6)games are less addictive, code is more sloppy = huge file sizes
7)the fact that america hasn't nuked anyone else for so long is suprising
8)Hey in 1982 in ET we HAD hover bikes!
:P

When I was in 4th grade (99) and about a year earlier when everyone was talking about Y2K, I was really scared. But I didn't tell anyone, and for a while I was freaking out internally. Everyone was saying how technology was going to be destroyed. I finally broke down one day, in front of my mom asking why no one was taking Y2K that seriously. Of course everyone was, but I was thinking of it in a complete different perspective, so I felt they weren't. It wasn't until then I realized Y2K would be an annoyance, for at most, a month, if anything, and it wasn't the end of the world. True story. Pitiful, but true :-P

A couple of years back, I wrote a paper on Y2K explaining why it was (and is) a socio-ecomonic problem founded in people's inherent mistrust of new technology (and computers, especially) - that it's more about asking questions like "How concerned is the general public?" and "How much money do we have to spend to allay those concerns?" than it is about fixing glitches.

A simple analogy: let's say there's a rumour spreading that a certain bank is very close to bankruptcy. People's immediate reaction to this will be to withdraw all their savings from said bank as soon as possible. Since so many people will claim so much money at once, the bank will run out of funds and go bankrupt. Not necessarily because they had any economical crisis to begin with. (This is also partly what happened in the US in the late twenties)

I could think of a few government elects we could have avoided if we knew what they would do beforehand.

Fun idea for a thread. I was a kid 20 years ago, but old enough (teenager) to have a view on these things.

modern micheal jackson
A bit surprised by just how much he has gone off the rails. He seemed a bit weird then, but in a harmless extrovert way.
internet
Wow. Real sci-fi stuff - especially the way it became a part of everyday life so quickly.
weapons system
The only practical difference is that they are more accurate now. The fact that they could pretty much wipe out the world's population is unchanged.
The fact that no one thought to fix it until the last minute would have seemed comical.
Utterly astonishing that it happened so quickly.
modern computers compared to there 4Mhz or less, now we got 4Ghz+
No surprise that they are a lot faster. Maybe a bit surprising that they have continued to increase in power at such a rate. Wristwatch televisions (and holidays on the moon) were favoured by the mongs that made "future predictions" as long ago as the 1970s, so continued miniaturization was clearly being taken for granted.
Uh?
Hmmm. The failure of Space hoppers and C5s to take over from traditional means of transport is surprising (not). As is the fact that man has not returned to the moon (or gone beyond).

what about the 2000 election?

also how could i have forgotten 2 of the most powerful social, political and economic events?
the release of doom
and goatse

I think these would be the most shocking revelations:

- The coming of me
- That cool new Skinny Puppy band they are playing at the clubs will rule the world someday, and that Leeb guy will form his own band
- Udo Strom will leave KMFDM
- Industrial music will one day mean 'rockers trying to be David Bowie' (to most people)
- Frank Zappa will NOT become president of the USA, but will instead die rather young from cancer
- That dance group, Depeche Mode, will make depressing songs about how love hurts
- People will STILL refuse to believe that punk is dead
- The Rolling Stones will STILL be touring and making albums
- MIDI will not be the death of the music industry with it's realistic instrument sounds and easy-to-compose format

There, I think that's all the important stuff.

Danarchy said:

- That dance group, Depeche Mode, will make depressing songs about how love hurts

Shocking!

Actually, I knew Y2K was going to turn out to be nothing. But I don't think anyone could have predicted modern Michael Jackson.

I would amaze people with how I would be able to tell the future in gaming and know things before they happen! I'd somehow convince Sega to keep the Hidden Palace Zone in Sonic 2! Blearg! :D

Oh oh oh, and I'd sing many songs from recent and Make Millions for being a brilliant Music artist! Ah haha ah haha haha!

darknation said:

I'd like to go back to 1989 and slap trent reznor and tell him to hurry the fuck up, maybe get his forth album out for 2009.

While you're at it, tell him that if he ever has the idea to make a double album called "the fragile", he'd better go outside have a snack and maybe hire a hooker.

BlackFish said:

I was a little sperm.

Only half of your chromosomes were there. :P