Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Caffeine

Linux Editing

How many of you edit in Linux? I'm working on a graphical wad editor similar to WinTex but for Linux (and it won't have any bugs... I swear).

Anyway, if there is interest I'll let you guys know when it's ready. It will be GPL'd software, of course, so everyone will be free to look through the source code.

Likewise, interested here. I'm a "linux newbie" (typing from it right now), but I would *LOVE* to go "Windows-Free". :) Every year puts me just a little bit closer....

Cross-platform is possible, but not easy. The core code is standard C++, written to be compileable on any standards-compliant platform (g++ 3.x, Visual C++ .NET, MinGW, that I know of). The OS code is Qt on Linux, but I cannot use Qt in Windows. I despise MFC, so I am stuck with the Win32 API. That is not fun to program (MFC is more powerful and even less fun).

Either way, it will be called "Winwad", no "Lin" or "Linux" in there. After all, it runs in "X-Window" ;-)

My goal is to have something released this weekend, even if it doesn't do much. I have an uphill battle ahead of me to overcome some design issues. Designing and testing is long and tedious, but when it is done, I think there will be a few pleasant surprises in store... :-)

John Gaughan said:

Cross-platform is possible, but not easy. The core code is standard C++, written to be compileable on any standards-compliant platform (g++ 3.x, Visual C++ .NET, MinGW, that I know of). The OS code is Qt on Linux, but I cannot use Qt in Windows. I despise MFC, so I am stuck with the Win32 API. That is not fun to program (MFC is more powerful and even less fun).

http://www.google.fr/search?q=C%2B%2B+cross-platform+GUI&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=fr&btnG=Recherche+Google&meta=