Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
WhilelM

Doom III Won't be on DVD

Man, it is really too early to start shipping games on dvd exclusively.

I'm sure a lot of us on these forums have a dvd drive in their computer, but a lot of us don't.

Putting a game like Doom 3 exclusively on dvd would be very bad for the impact of the game, in my opinion, considering only like, half of us could install it.

Now, releasing a cd version AND dvd version might work.

The_Tonx said:

Sorry, my mistake..

But wouldn't it be cool if DOOM III would come in 900-floppy edition? :p

...No...it wouldn't.

Floppies have the worst price per megabyte. So, 900 floppies, and a floppies are about $0.50. That's $450. Even if they sold floppies for a quarter, that's still $225.

DVDs all the way!

BTW: Is doom3 32 or 64 bit?

The_Tonx said:

But wouldn't it be cool if DOOM III would come in 900-floppy edition? :p

Heh nope.
Something like 75% (ok I'm just throwing off a wild guess here) of floppy discs nowadays are damaged, so they either have errors on them or are completely useless.
I don't know what the estimated percentage of errors on a floppy disc version would be, but my own guess would be something like a 95% risk that your copy of "Doom 3 Floppy Disc Edition" won't work due to at least one disc with damaged sectors.

So no, that wouldn't be cool. In fact, I think it'd be so seriously un-cool that Id would suddenly experience a true flood of fan mail containing nothing but death threats, should they make the move to floppy discs.