Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Janizdreg

Old Doom sites index

For a comprehensive list of old Doom sites CLICK HERE!

So uh, please excuse the 12-year necrobump, but I've been on an extreme hunt for old Doom websites via archive.org. I think these provide an interesting insight into what the net and Doom online scene were like for most people way back when - I vividly remember some of these sites being my go-to's for WADs and Doom stuff in my childhood, well before Doom Connector even. I'm certain my dad even helped me find some of these sites, that's how young I was/how old these are.

As you're browsing these, please keep in mind they're the remains of website fragments. While cheesey, some of the sites certainly did look better when all images displayed and were correctly sized. You'll be viewing them as they looked from approximately 1997-1999.

Unlike most of the stuff Janizdreg linked to years ago, these are mostly personal/home pages. It would be both awesome and funny if one of the ex-maintainers of these old sites stopped in and said hello.

Big list:

Brax's Page
Aaron the Greater's Doom Wads
Adelusion's Stuff
Alex's DooM Page
Alex's Doom Pages
Axe's DOOM 2 Page
The Bitchin Series
Bryan High School DOOM
Craig and Bryan Spark's Doom Page
Cyberdemon's Doom2 and Hexen Page
Dave's Place of Stuff
Jason's Death Realm
The Denis Home Page!
The Doom Review
The DooM RooM
Tha Doom Shack
Dr. Iguana's Doom2 Stuff
Emil's WWW Page
Eric Hortop's Home Page
The Excalibur Doom Page
Franco's Doom-II Page (I vividly remember downloading dropdead.wad from here)
Freek's Lair
Scott Bruno's Home Page
Greg's Game Page
Lair of the Iron Lich
Joe Pecoraro's Doom Maps
Johnny's Doom2 Levels
Josh's Doom2 Wads
La pagina del Gaunt
Lassik Doom II
Lizzy Lizzerd's Doom2 Place
Man the Mandala
Mikey's Doom2 Page
The Mouse's Doom Levels
Official Simpsons Doom Site
Pit of Ultimate Darkness
^PMS's Doom page
Rick's Doom, Doom2 and Heretic pages
RicrobNet (easrly version of http://www.doomworld.com/ricrob/ I assume)
Shamus Young's Homepage (Creator of the great doomcity.wad)
ShmoLand Doom
Starwars Doom
Thomas DoomII Page
My Deathmatch Addiction
Tom's Doom(2) Page
Whillie's Doom2 Heaven (& HELL!!)
World O' Hurtz

EDIT: Adding the stuff from Janizdreg's post that said "still Around", because uhh well it isn't still around:
Abode of the Superfly
Doom, Damnit!
Hypo's Doom2 Page
IKQ
Lee Killough's Doom Page
Mike Reed's Doom2 Page
Mr. Doom's Web Page
Team Insanity
Yonatan Donner's Home Page

If anyone has any more to contribute, please do so!

Also, I know they're somehwat absurd, but they have character and charm in a sense. I think it would be cool if more Doomers/mappers made little sites like these.

Enjoy!

Thanks Vorpal, I might try and seek out a couple more over time. I've been reminded of quite a few old WADs I forgot through doing all this rummaging.

Some of these should probably have pages about them on the wiki and do not. Not all are notable obviously (we have criteria for this) but I'm certain some of those are.

It's weird to remember that back in the day, it was a pretty usual practice for people to build and maintain their own "home pages". It's hard to imagine nowadays.

We should find some way we can look to restore files that contain WAD files that were lost to time (IE Bryan High School Doom's WAD files) and get them on /idgames/ if possible.

We should not lose WADs on personal pages that went missing due to their hosts disappearing.

Okay, I knew Doom was popular, but I didn't know Doom was THAT popular that it had more than 20 sites.

20 sites? You kidding? I remember like about 10-12 years ago only in Czech republic was like 30-40 doom pages they were mostly clan based but still. :o

No King REoL? I'm disappoint.

Linguica said:

It's weird to remember that back in the day, it was a pretty usual practice for people to build and maintain their own "home pages". It's hard to imagine nowadays.

Well, that role has been largely taken by MySpace and Facebook/Twitter nowadays. If anything, it's jarring to realize that the appearance/features divide between "amateur"/vanity/home pages and "professional" websites wasn't that great, back in the 90s. Even the official websites of large corporations weren't anything special, and for the most part they had nothing more than a logo, a "who we are" and a "contact us" page, all using stock HTML formatting and fonts. That could be quite disappointing if one was expecting e.g. announcements, downloads, historic data, pictures, "character" etc.

Linguica said:

I'm pretty amazed how uncommon it is, even amongst tech folk. The blog seems to have pretty much taken over the personal-site space, and then they get abandoned.

On the other hand, back in the 90s we had no idea how big the web would grow, and the privacy implications of having all that personal data, all those drunken ramblings, or admitting to taking various drugs etc for future employers to find...

Linguica said:

It's largely been killed by social networks. Why would you need your own homepage when you can have a twitter, a tumblr, a blogspot, a youtube channel, and a facebook profile?

Linguica said:

So is this web design, uh, on purpose?

Well, kinda sorta mostly. I have like 0 experience with HTML other than what I've taught myself (and the helpful tidbits other Doomers have given me) but I think it suits the ridiculous old-school Doom website feel. Or at least I can claim that, anyway. It's one of those "if it works" type things, though I deliberately loaded that particular page up with far too many GIFs several of which I'll be removing. I liked the tackiness at first but it's a bit much.

Edit: This has inspired me to make the page slightly less ghetto

Maes said:

Even the official websites of large corporations weren't anything special, and for the most part they had nothing more than a logo, a "who we are" and a "contact us" page, all using stock HTML formatting and fonts. That could be quite disappointing if one was expecting e.g. announcements, downloads, historic data, pictures, "character" etc.

I feel like, nowadays, seeing a basic HTML document with a nice little background, a few animated GIFs and basic logo is actually oddly rare, for both corporate and personal websites. Now they have loads of not-so-useful java widgets embedded for god knows what reason, often to very little end (ie the page loads slow as balls for like 3 minutes just to display some widget that's like the equivalent of a 90s guestbook but with flashier animation, what gives???)

Obviously many sites use these awesome "new" (rofl as in like 15 years now) features of web design well, but just as often I see it serving no other purpose than to load for what feels like an eternity.

RTC_Marine said:

Needs more tables and iframes

Otherwise DoomKid, this is great!

Thanks, RTC!

Overall I totally see why personal webpages are essentially a thing of the past, you don't need any know-how (or very very little) to start up a Facebook, Twitter and YouTube and call it a day. It's far more efficient, but I also felt there was a degree of charm and unique character that came from "hand built" sites of old. The way things are done now is far easier, no doubt!