Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DooMBoy

Source Port Query

How come PrBoom, EDGE, Legacy, and glBoom (and probably others) don't have the 'click-and-drag-and-then-drop-to-load-up-and-play' WAD-playing thing that ZDoom has? It's so much easier to just click and drag than it is to open up the MS-DOS window and type something in.
So, how come?

There is such a thing called batch files... I even use them for Zdoom. This way, I can get my PSX music, PSX sound, iwad, and as many wads as I want. Next best thing to a frontend. Drag and Drop... bah.

How come PrBoom, EDGE, Legacy, and glBoom (and probably others) don't have the 'click-and-drag-and-then-drop-to-load-up-and-play' WAD-playing thing that ZDoom has?

Uhhhh... probably because most people aren't gonna waste time browsing through hundreds or thousands of files for a WAD, dragging around multiple windows or waiting a whole minute for the current window to scroll down to ZDoom just to load a damn WAD. It's nice if the WAD is right next to the EXE in the folder window, which is, oh, NEVER.

Hey Lüt,
that was funny: I just was going to reply in the "Way offtopic" thread, and when I was redirected, I awake in bright green :). Cool, now I have had the last word, thanx.

:D

No, actually, I have the last word ;)

I dunno how you posted in there after I moved it, but don't do that.

Hm... usually the reply doesn't work if it's already been moved... I guess you hit reply before it had been moved. Oh well.

Do this: create a file in new file in notepad and write the following into it:

@echo off
prboom -file %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9

Substitute "prboom" for your favourite port. Save it as "zdoomwad.bat". Now drag and drop wads onto it to load them.

Do this: create a file in new file in notepad and write the following into it:

@echo off
prboom -file %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9

Substitute "prboom" for your favourite port. Save it as "zdoomwad.bat". Now drag and drop wads onto it to load them.

I do it so that I change it's properties to say in the "command line" field:

D:\DOOM\ZDOOM.BAT ?

Now in this example when I run it it asks for command line parameters to pass for it. I don't have to mess with ms-dos prompt and stuff, and I can load/do whatever I want.

I just selected 1 wad, used the "open with option" selectd zdoom and "always use this for this type of file" option, now I just double click any wad and it opens in zdoom :)

How come PrBoom, EDGE, Legacy, and glBoom (and probably others) don't have the 'click-and-drag-and-then-drop-to-load-up-and-play' WAD-playing thing that ZDoom has?

Erm. Isn't this the feature that was introduced by Boom v2.02, which _is_ supported by prboom and glboom?
It's a loong time since I used -file. OTOH I don't use the Windo$e versions so I could be wrong.