Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shapeless

Most Memorable Pic

What is your most memorable Doom screenshot. I mean when you think of Doom and you remember those early screenshots that were released either behind the box of the game, or in some ad. What is the one that you remember of the most?

I remember my doom shareware had a screen of the Barron in an empty room about to release a fireball. there was an imp in the bottom shot in a place I cannot idenify. and the one in the middle is the one screenshot out of many, I've seen at that time. that just stickt in my head for years. It one of the shotgun zombie firing his gun in a tight hallway amogst dead bodies. It's actually taken from the map Toxic Refinery, and is the halway that leads to the room housing the yellow keycard. I think this screenshot out of all of them stuck in my head simply because the shotgun zombie was littly Knee deep in the Dead. as the subtitle of the game sugested.

All the screens on the back of the Doom 2 package. That really got my attention. And the coverart too. Come to think of it, especially the coverart. The way the soldier aims his shotgun at the huge Cyberdemon really put a grin on my face when I saw that for the first time. What an awesome piece of art.

This one. I'm pretty sure that's the one that appears on the back cover of the Final DooM box. I remember seeing it in some store years ago, and wondering what this was.. Could it be an entirely new DooM game? Hehe. Other than that, the cover art of DooM 2 mentioned previously certainly stuck with me.

Undoubtably D5.pcx (you can see it on my avatar.) Since when's the cover art/title pic a screen shot? Well, yeah, you can use the Print Screen button and generate such a screen shot... you guys did that!?

I remember seeing a picture on the front of a disk box that had the player in a hallway with a cacodemon about to shoot at him (I think), and there was a lives counter in the corner of the status-bar panel with your face. It must have a been a screenshot from a late beta.

Edit:

Ah, I just looked in that pre-release image archive. I think it's D3.pcx.

Hay MYK has the pic of the barron in the empty room that I mentioned, as his Av. I can not find that pic of the shotgun sargent I was talking about. not ven google could help me.

the switch texture you first see in E3M1.. My friend was showing me this game he had on his computer, and he had warped to E3M1 while trying to get to a certain level (he couldn't get it to work though).

I read a review of Doom 2 in some gaming mag and it had a bunch of really neat screenshots. The most memorable of those showed the Archvile "setting a baron on fire" while the player was watching. That was my first glimpse of the Archie and I still remember the giddy, joyous "wow, awesome!" feel I got when I first saw that screenie.

Can't be bothered to look around the net to see if I can dig it up.

My most memorable pic comes actually from an ad for the Jaguar version of doom.

It was E1M7 of the 2 Barons of Hell several steps out of their "boxes" Both were readying to hurl a fireball and the player was shooting the closest one with a plasma rifle. It was so moody, displayed some kind of fright, but generally just screamed "this is Doom" to me in some way.

i remember back in 1994 when I had the shareware, on the "order info" screen, it was the shot of using the Plasma Rifle on Mt. Erebus... I remember thinking to myself, whoooooooooooooooooooooooaa.... that looks so cool.... i MUST get the full version! and i think i was the first in my school to do so, every single guy in the school was playing the shareware version, when i finally got the registered i was the most popular guy in school for a while lol.... ah good times

I remember back when i got my first computer at age 11 (i'm 19 now). My mom and i were fiddling around with the new toy in Windows 3.11, and all of a sudden there shareware version of Doom popped up. We had no idea what we were doing, and the game was extremely laggy since it was a 33 Mhz running DooM in WIndows 3.11 .. Then the demo started, i think it was showing E1M3...it was the map where there's a series of small secret doors that lead to a suit, chainsaw and one of those blue orbs....i remember going "hey, i wanna play i wanna play i wanna play !!!"

... some years later, i picked up a copy of Ultimate DooM with an awesome pic of a baron on it showing an evil grin...i still have the game box and cd case, but i have no idea where the cd is :'(

In magazines nowadays, whenever they want to have a screenshot of doom they either have:

One of a user-made map, with white mountains in the distance, some imps and burning barrels

Or, the 'card game' scene removed early on in the game's development, with a old 'silver' status bar with green text

i guess the most memorable screenshot was one of the first ultra64 (later nintendo64) doom shots.
it showed a half invisible pinkydemon that looked so scary, detailed and awesome that my jaw dropped immediately to the floor.
during those days i played doom still in pixelhell on 320x240 and the filtered n64 graphics looked just so much ahead of everything else....
needless to say that later when the game was released it was quite disappointing but anyhow... you just asked for the coolest screenshot ; )

The shot of the cyberdemon in the shareware screen enticing you to buy the full version. I don't know why but that's the only one that really sticks in my mind. Of course, I was a latecomer to the whole scene so I didn't look at any pre-release screenshots, and the screens in the magazine article I had read must have been unmemorable (I think they were cropped to just show each monster the article was discussing).

Back of the Doom2 box. The one with the lone spider monster (cant remember if it was a mastermind or an archatron) and the player had something like a SSG.

In any case, I always found it funny that a lot of the screenshots of Doom I found had the player in God Mode. CHEATERS!

I always found it funny that the screenshots on the box of Doom 2 are from the BETA!!!!!!! Lazy bastards. One even even has the old E1 sky.