Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

Doom Connector gone for good now?

netnomad312 said:

Argh. I thought that wasn't gonna happen until March 1st

That's what I thought...maybe Gherkin/CodeImp had plan changes?

Yep, it's a definite possibility. As everyone knows, Doom Connector went down yesterday afternoon. Codeimp is unable to keep the primary communication server up and running. MancuNET has the power but the machine is the issue.

I'm making this thread on dw, st, and zd forums. For those that liked Doom Connector and what it does for the DM community, this message is for you. I'm looking for anyone who would be willing to donate some parts for a new server. Unfortunately I don't have a computer that's quite capable to handle it and not in use at the same time.

>>>>> Doom Connector server requirements

- 350 MHz CPU or faster
- 256 MB RAM system memory or more

- Any Windows 2000 OS (Pro / Server / Advanced Server)
Not tested on Windows 2003, but it should not be a problem.

I plan on buying the case for sure, but any parts (be it power supply, an old processor and/or mobo, some ram, a hard drive, etc) would be greatly appreciated. The server doesn't need much. Got an old PII and a mobo to go with it that you're not using? Chuck it in! Got some old DIMMs that are just sitting there? Send it in!

This is just a request, and if I don't get anything from anyone then I'll probably end up scrounging for the parts myself. Either way, assuming that no one else hosts it, MancuNET will probably scoop it up; it's just a matter of when.

So, fans of Doom Connector, what say thee?

Well, I'd gladly accept monetary donations, but I don't really have a paypal account or any sort of credit/checking account at this time. I will in the near future after certain things are taken care of, but not now. That's why I'm purchasing the big stuff (case and inevitably power supply), so anything that would be shipped would be really small and cost no more than a few dollars. However I would also accept money orders and cashier's checks if people wanted to donate money.

The only issue is I don't want to go out and buy all new parts and spend unnecessary money because this thing doesn't need a lot of power. Some things I can still buy rather cheap but I don't want to have to start scouring the internet for old cheap parts.

I'm glad you brought it up tho, and I as I said I'll accept monetary donations. People will just have to trust me I guess.

Bloodshedder said:

You expect to use SDRAM? I've got a 64MB DIMM sitting here that I'm not using.

That's the spirit!

And who merged my thread? :(

Powerfull?! lol, dual xeon is powerfull, this is nothing. But you were not there in the evenings, it was definitely being used and well filled in the weekends.

Why is there always someone trying to turn something down? Im not saying I like all people that were in that place, but that is no reason to bash it (or whatever you call such talk).

CodeImp said:

Why is there always someone trying to turn something down? Im not saying I like all people that were in that place, but that is no reason to bash it (or whatever you call such talk).

I wasn't bashing it, but the amount of people using Doom Connector is relatively nothing compared to the loads most servers deal with.

And 350 Mhz isn't fast or anything, but I still don't see why Doom Connector would need such a fast processor when an IRC daemon will run comfortable on much much less.

All I know is that's what was on the requirements. You're right, it might work with less. If it was a linux daemon or something I would definitely just pop it on the unidoom.org server or something.

Guess we'll have to see.

Anyway you could set this program up on a remote server? My DOOMBUNKER server isnt doing jack,no one comes to the site.

Doom connect was the ONLY way my buddy and I could connect to get a game going. Tried the rest, DoomConn was the only thing to work. My bud can only get 28.8 net speed because of his distance from an exchange. Didn't mind the freezes. Didn't mind the slow days. It just worked great for us.

when i start my doom conector,show a mesage saying:
"Everything that has a beginning has an end"
what'a hell are happening?!please,i need help....thnx,sorry my bad english

Doom Connetor is dead. Dead Dead Dedski.

To elaborate slightly, a suitable server could not be found to host DC anymore.

So what to do now that Doom Connector is gone? ZDaemon has it's own server browser. So does Skulltag. IDE does both, and also does CSDoom. Legacy and jDoom I beleive have their own chat channels where you can ask to organize a server. This is a great place to keep updated on everything Doom Multiplayer related

It might live again, as I heard some Doomers were trying to scrape a server together. But it's not a certainty....at least not yet.

EDIT: In addition a similar thread to this has already been made.

AlexMax said:

It might live again, as I heard some Doomers were trying to scrape a server together. But it's not a certainty....at least not yet.

Did you read this thread first? Above talks about what you "heard". This thread (starting from my long post) was duplicated on the st and zdaemon forums.

For those that don't browse either of those, it looks like someone from the ST forums should be able to take care of some parts. I predict, barring any unforseen consequences, that Doom Connector is backup within 2 1/2 - 3 weeks.

Bloodshedder said:

You just linked to this exact same thread.

It wasn't the same thread when he posted link, I merged them as both are about exact same topic :P

Well this is terrible. If only I had a second computer. I'd be the server damnit!

But in any case, I hope to Doom God that we get DC back up and running soon. And it's just an idea, but can we maybe have Chat back if we get DC up again?