Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi all!

Not surprisingly I have major problems playing the D2DQ2116 demo [found here: http://www.planetquake.com/qdq/d2dq.html] on my somewhat modern PC.

If I run the .lmp in prboom for instance the demo goes out of sync on map 23 (as it says in the txt file). "The reason is that there is a small difference between Doom2 v1.9 and the released Doom source."
So using a Doom port seemes out of the question.

I tried using Dosbox but that didnt work either. The demo lagged and the sound was crap and also I got two screens playing the demo within the same (Dosbox-)window.

Also I tried running the exe with different comp modes. No luck.

If anyone has gotten the demo to run or have a general idea on how to then please let me know.
Im dying to see the run from start to finnish.

Ultimatly I wish to turn the demo into a movie-format like what was done with the QdQ project.

Cheers
mooorrrggg!!!

Other than installing a dos-compatible operating system, I don't have any recommendations that are sure to work.
D2DQ is software only... so good luck ripping it.
However, there are options for other runs. All of the improved TAS runs on Doom2 should be glboom compatible... also, Eternity has povs other than just first-person; which may be what you are looking for.
gl.

The Eternity-engine I haven't tried yet. The dl section on their site has been down for the last couple of days.
So: fingers crossed... =)

Thank you
mooorrrggg!!!

Would be cool to get ddqstats.exe cam compatibility in some ports :)

and also get improved cam possibilities too...

Lutrov71 said:

Don't use d2dq2116, download the Doom2 done in 14 minutes.

Where?

bleedin ell... i think i've only seen half of those rocket jumps before. what do we think the "slight changes" to the sourcecode were?

There is at least one other thread that talks about these 2 amazing demos by e6y.
the most significant change is that SR50 is always on... a bit extreme perhaps, but probably necessary to make something beyond Sedlic's movie. And these demos certainly don't disappoint. Damn cool, I should rewatch it a few more times. :)

Budko's are going to end up in the SDA or TAS archive ?

To me TAS sounds more appropriate. It's not good to let people think
these demos are possible w/o assistance of couple tweaks/cheats :)

cycloid said:

what do we think the "slight changes" to the sourcecode were?

Compared to normal Prboom with Doom2.exe compatibility:

• Getting GF50 instead of GF49 tics (just restoring normal Doom behaviour). I wish they'd implement that in regular Prboom (presumably it's intended a cheat-blocker, but AFAIK all demo recorders are honest, and anyone who really wants to cheat can find ways to do so anyway).
  • As Opulent says, SR50 always on. That means that he got GF50+SR50 tics even while turning. That takes it beyond a normal TAS run, since it is something that is physically impossible in the real game (and wasn't available to Sedlo in his 30uv1617).
  • Presumably something to make it possible to use savegames while in prboom's Doom2.exe compatibility mode. AFAIK, this is only available in standard Prboom in its default compatibility level (-1), which produces demos that only play back with Prboom itself.

As far as I know he used slow motion and a system similar to TasDooM's => Playback a demo up to where you want to redo it, press a key and it restores the controls and keep on recording.
He's a very good programmer so he can modify any ports like he wants.

Thats why I qualify most of Budko's demos of Tool-Assisted.

yer, TAS definetley, but if it's physically impossible to actually do it all then that'd be a shame, idealy i'd love to see a trick full run that is "theoretically" possible

Cycloid: those ARE Sedlo's 30uv1617 and 30nm18xx runs.
Grazza: thanks for spelling that out... very clearly and accurately stated. :)
Vince: When I said DSDA, I mean TAS-DSDA. I don't post Iwad demos at the DSDA without one heck of a good reason.

d2dq2116 also has a place in this - it hasn't been directly superseded. It remains the fastest run in which each map was recorded normally - the only "tool assistance" was that they were joined together (this has the same effect as using a savegame in between each map).

Presumably if Sedlo redid his TAS run now (not "built", and using only manoeuvres that are possible in the real game), the time would be just under 15 minutes. A while ago AdamH estimated a time just over 15 minutes using current routes, and Andrey demonstrated some new tricks that would save a few seconds over that. And I guess Sedlo might have some new tricks up his sleeve too.

Anyway, 30uv1617 remains a great demo to watch.

Vince: thanks for clarifying the method (i.e. he didn't need to make a savegame, and could continue from any point). Standard Prboom allows slow motion, BTW. I've never tried using it, and have no idea what happens if you record using it.

cycloid said:

dohh slap me then, i deserve it

oh no, man. I didn't mean it like that. I was just informing.

dont worry i knew i was being harder on myself than you implied i should be :-) still in watched 1617 again tonight and then took it round to my mates and made him watch it (he gave me some cds to burn games to, i filled one with doom, heh)

cycloid said:

yer, TAS definetley, but if it's physically impossible to actually do it all then that'd be a shame, idealy i'd love to see a trick full run that is "theoretically" possible

just watch radek speedrun throught Doom2 ... this one is 100% hand made and deserves greater congratulations than any of budko's runs.
Have a look at Vile's runs thru TNT and plutonia too.

What difficulty is it on?

I somehow doubt it's on Nightmare, or even UV. And heck, if it IS on NM or UV, the freaking demo of it needs to be on compet-n!

It's on UV.

And no, it does not deserve to be at the COMPET-N; the COMPET-N only accepts unassisted record demos in specific categories for specific maps (and various miscellaneous interesting - possibly built - demos for said maps). TAS (tools assisted) demos, such as 30uv1441 or 30uv1448 have no place there.

It should, however, be added to the Doomworld TASDoom site (found at http://www.doomworld.com/sda/tas/). And trust me, it will be. :-)

mje said about Budko's runs:

the freaking demo of it needs to be on compet-n!

Kristian is right, it's TAS, we should never let me people think these kind of demos are possible w/o cheats or engine mods. So these runs will never be accepted at the Compet-N.
Compet-N only accepts "hand-made" runs, not the cheated ones.+

This is anyway interesting stuff, but humanly impossible without tool assitance :)

Misc runs (eventually cheated) accepted at the compet-n are "built" demos, misc runs like MMH, maps done with special styles (like map07 SSG only) or new tricks demonstrations. But they do not give points, they are here just to show funny/interesting stuff.

I didn't know it wasn't doom2.exe. In that case - sure, I agree with you guys.

His text-file doesn't really make it clear enough that it's a TAS+ run (I say TAS"+" because of the SR50 hack). To demo fans it is obvious that it's at least tool assisted, but to those who don't watch many demos, it must be very confusing.

As other people have also said, the comparisons with Sedlo's times in the text-file aren't valid, since Sedlo's 30uv1617 was "just" TAS, and used an exe (TASMBF) that made some tricks (notably some key grabs) impossible.