Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Bucket

Music soundtrack Q.

I decided to post this here, because it's sort of about Quake. Even though you guys would know better than any Quake forum troglodytes. My question:

Is Quake the first game to have a soundtrack composed by an established musician? Although I wouldn't call samples of pig squealing a "composition", my memory fails to recall any before Q1 came out. "Guest" composers, as far as I can remember, weren't publicized in any way before the 3D era. Now, I can remember a few "interactive multimedia" discs done by guys like Peter Gabriel and (I think)David Bowie. But I'm not talking about that. Anyone have a better memory than me?

Descent II, which came out a few months before Quake, had Redbook Audio done by Ogre of Skinny Puppy.

Vile said:

Descent II, which came out a few months before Quake and is better, had Redbook Audio done by Ogre of Skinny Puppy.

If I remember correctly, the original WORMS game was released either right before or right after descent; it featured a song by scandinavian ambient techno artist Björn Lynne (and the wolves).
Björn Lynne had released a few of his albums before Worms was released. (some of his creations are quite good [moody] too).

Vile said:

Descent II, which came out a few months before Quake, had Redbook Audio done by Ogre of Skinny Puppy.

This is a common misconception. Ogre and Mark Walk only did three songs, one of which is exclusive to the PlayStation version. Type O Negative has one song on there (a shortened, instrumental version of "Haunted"). The rest (ie, most of the soundtrack) were done by people I've never heard of: Brian Luzietti, Charles Deenen, Larry Peacock, Brad Cross, Leslie Spitzer, Bob Brown, Mark Morgan, Ron Valdez, and Johann Langlie. When they marketed the game, they obviously mentioned the known names far more so people assumed that all of it was composed by them.

Did anyone here ever play the game "moonwalker" on the sega mega drive? Released sometime around 1990 i guess, and since it was based on Michael Jackson's movie by the same name, i'd be surprised if the game did not at least contain some samples of his songs. Anyways, I don't remember.

Uncle 80 said:

Other people than your mother or your closest friends know about your music.

Pretty much every game music composer in history then.

david_a said:

When they marketed the game, they obviously mentioned the known names far more so people assumed that all of it was composed by them.

Interesting. I suppose it worked, even the Gamespot review (which I referenced) claimed it was done by Ogre... though not saying that there were other artists involved, but perhaps they didn't know either. Very curious...

Regardless of that, the music is quite excellent. :)

Heh...the Descent II soundtrack is one of the best game soundtracks ever, only being rivaled by Diablo II and Fallout.

david_a said:

Mark Morgan

Speaking of the Fallout soundtrack, he's the guy who did it. Man, it's so awesome, especialy the tracks "City of the Dead" (Necropolis), "Acolytes of the New World" (the Cathederal), and "City of Los Angeles" (L.A. Ruins, Credits). For some reason, all the best tracks from the game never made it in to Fallout 2 (to my knowledge at least).

Lord FlatHead said:

Devin Townsend is doing some music for a new Fallout game, I believe. Which is teh rock.

Sorry to say it, but there isn't going to be a Fallout 3. Namely because Interplay decided to fire the entire Black Isle staff. :/

Fredrik said:
Pretty much every game music composer in history then.

Exactly. I'm old enough to remember Martin Galway's excellent music for a bunch of C64 games. Arkanoid, aming others, I believe. They have even sold (remixes and re-arrangements of) his music on records, IIRC.

EDIT: Holy crap! http://www.lynnemusic.com/project-galway.html

The interesting part is that the site is that of the previously mentioned Björn Lynne. :-)

Kristian Ronge said:

Exactly. I'm old enough to remember Martin Galway's excellent music for a bunch of C64 games. Arkanoid, aming others, I believe. They have even sold (remixes and re-arrangements of) his music on records, IIRC.

c64audio.com
remix.overclocked.org

Uncle 80 said:

Other people than your mother or your closest friends know about your music.

Sort of. I guess I could say anyone who's appeared on MTV or anyone who's gone on tour with their music prior to having written for a game. But Skinny Puppy and Type O-Negative definitely count, so question answered!

You're not an "established musician" when you compose soundtracks for games and no one knows your name. We know who Trent Reznor is because of his works with Nine Inch Nails, and speaking of middle-of-the-road industrial pop/rock nonsense, we also know who Rob Zombie is when we look at the credits for Q2.

Uncle 80 said:
You're not an "established musician" when you compose soundtracks for games and no one knows your name.

Are you implying that no one knows who Martin Galway is!? If so: HA! Good one. :-)

Uncle 80 said:

we also know who Rob Zombie is when we look at the credits for Q2.

Except Rob Zombie only made the theme song. Jeremiah Sypult did one in-game song, and Sonic Mayhem did the rest.

Numbermind said:

Sort of. I guess I could say anyone who's appeared on MTV or anyone who's gone on tour with their music prior to having written for a game. But Skinny Puppy and Type O-Negative definitely count, so question answered!

Are you implying that Skinny Puppy has been on MTV?

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Front Line Assembly did at least some of the tracks on Quake 3, though the game was dull enough that I wasn't even paying attention to the music.

Danarchy said:

Sorry to say it, but there isn't going to be a Fallout 3. Namely because Interplay decided to fire the entire Black Isle staff. :/

Yeah, Fallout 3 got canned, but Fallout: Brotherhood of steel is still being developed, perhaps Townsend is working on that. Also, there seems to be indications that fallout 3 isn't as dead as it seems. I'm not much of a fallout player, but this site: http://www.nma-fallout.com seems to be fairly good for information about fallout.

Brotherhood of Steel looks like a piece of crap. Also, I think it was already released.

Kristian Ronge said:

Are you implying that no one knows who Martin Galway is!? If so: HA! Good one. :-)

No, I'm implying that more people know who Trent Reznor is than who made the music for Last Ninja 1, as much as I do love that game and the music. (and I can't even remember his name at the tme of writing).

And I do know that Rob Zombie only made one track of the Q2 soundtrack, i just couldn't resist the chance to drag his name into the dirt alongside Trent Reznor.

edit: "...his name..." as in the composer of the LN1 st.

edit 2: ..referring of course to the sentence in parantheses.

Uncle 80 said:

edit: "...his name..." as in the composer of the LN1 st.

Ben Daglish(with some help from Anthony Lees). Great people. Even though I had a hell of a time with the game considering the Twenty-Fifth Commandment of Video Games: "Ninjas can't swim."

Lord FlatHead said:

Devin Townsend is doing some music for a new Fallout game, I believe. Which is teh rock.

New Fallout game? Sweet!
EDIT: Only for X-box and PS2? Bunk

Green Jelly did the painfulfully typical sounding garage rock soundtrack to Maximum Carnage in wretched sounding synth guitar. I guess their work in that game couldn't quite live up to their masterpiece '3 little pigs'. It's pretty unfortunate cause I loved the gameplay.

Numbermind said:

Ben Daglish(with some help from Anthony Lees). Great people. Even though I had a hell of a time with the game considering the Twenty-Fifth Commandment of Video Games: "Ninjas can't swim."

Yeah, missing every jump on the tree logs on level 1 or the stones in the river of level 2 every time kind of sucked, didn't it? :)

Ed said:

I guess their work in that game couldn't quite live up to their masterpiece '3 little pigs'.

Kekekeke. That video ruled. Fun fact: one of the pigs was Maynard James Keenan. o_O (Source: Liam)