Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ShadowRunner

Wolfenstein and Duke3d source ports....

Sadly to say i havent seen any wolfenstein 3D or Duke 3d source ports around?
Maybe not Duke3d but i believe Wolfenstein 3D deserves a source port.
People would begin making maps for that game again,and....warezing it too.......

Whos with me on this one?

I assume you are asking if there are source ports because you cannot play them on window xp?

The only source port I've heard of for Wolfenstein is WolfGL, and it does exactly what it's name implies. As for Duke3D, I don't know why anyone would want to waste time on a port no one would play :)

If you really have to play these games then you'll have to find a DOS emulator (if you're running XP). Then you'll be able to play any DOS game :)

EDIT: By the way, Wolfenstein community is not dead as you'd expect. There are people still modding it and making maps for it.

NewWolf is so far the best source port for Wolf3d, even though it's kinda incomplete (you won't get an end stats screen, followed by an end text screen when you complete an episode for instance).
Still, it's good enough to deserve a recommendation.

Sadly, I can't help you with DN3d ports - I'm not even sure there's any.

ShadowRunner said:

Woah newwolf kicks so much ass!!!

I dunno if i should get into Wolfenstein editing though,i could always rip the textures and edit for doom2.

Found a duke3d port.
http://jonof.edgenetwork.org/buildport/duke3d/

There's already been some real decent hi-res textures/packs out for Jonof's port, since it got support for these about a week ago. You can find them on the 3D Realms forums.

I highly recommend that Duke 3D source port. I'm playing through it now, and after some initial tweaking I've got it up and running pretty stable. It looks alot better, and Duke just seems to play better with mouselook. It's alot easier to kill all those guys above and below you now.

ShadowRunner said:

Did not know that,and i dont have Gl drivers just OpenGl

If you have a 3D graphics card, you almost certainly have "GL drivers". Well, unless it' s a really, really crappy ancient 3D card (more than 6 years old or so). In which case you could buy a better one for something like $5.

Jello said:

I highly recommend that Duke 3D source port. I'm playing through it now, and after some initial tweaking I've got it up and running pretty stable. It looks alot better, and Duke just seems to play better with mouselook. It's alot easier to kill all those guys above and below you now.

When didn't Duke3D have freelook/mouselook?

dr_st said:

When didn't Duke3D have freelook/mouselook?

Well yeah, it always has, but it never seemed to work properly. It was way too jerky and slow. Maybe I just didn't spend enough time tweaking it or something, but I was never very fond of it. As far as I can tell it works alot more smoothly in here.

I remember seeing a Duke3D source port which made looking up and down look like it was done in 3D, with proportions done right and everything. (Go into a corner in ZDoom and look up, it looks really weird)

The first Doom sourceport to include this feature wins. Go.

AlexMax said:

I remember seeing a Duke3D source port which made looking up and down look like it was done in 3D, with proportions done right and everything. (Go into a corner in ZDoom and look up, it looks really weird)

The Duke3d source port you came across was probably one of Jonof's. AFAIK, it's the only one with Polymost (Ken Silverman's polygon based renderer) implemented. There's probably other's by now though.

The first Doom sourceport to include this feature wins. Go.

Either Vavoom, Jdoom, Legacy in OpenGL and presumably all the other opengl/direct3d ports.

ToXiCFLUFF said:

Either Vavoom, Jdoom, Legacy in OpenGL and presumably all the other opengl/direct3d ports.

Of course. In OpenGL it's just one line of code to specify a proper view pitch and the system automatically takes care of it, not regarding view clipping issues.

The Ultimate DooMer said:

I recommend this one.

Yes, that is the one I am using. It is very stable but the writer doesn't seem to have the concept of making it better to any extent, as the mouse is not very sensitive (numb?) but it is overall a good port. He has however commited a no-no of naming the port duke3d_w32.exe, where he should give it his own name :)