Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hyena

Latest.wad

Don't know, I just try the freewad for the first time with jDoom, it has potential, it reminds me of some shareware games I get with those free dos games you buy for 8 bucks. By the way I couldn't open all the doors on the second level and it appears the third level isn't finish yet. I think some of the sprites are ok, I hope there will be some better ones later on. Is jDoom going to be sold with this ?

Yeah sorry, I need to rebuild it so the latest stuff gets in.

tony said:

Is jDoom going to be sold with this ?

JDoom is going to be sold? I dont think you can even play JDoom with freedoom anyway, as its not boom-compatible.

fraggle said:

sold?

SolDoom! YEAH! WE HAVE A NEW NAME FOR FREEDOOM!!!!1111onehundredandeleven

Julian said:

No, then it will be thrillaDoom, which sounds sort of cool if you like the old Michal Jackson. Dancing zombies doing the zombies dance.

Julian said:

Please please please stop with the oneoneoneelevenonehundredeleven stuff, it's quite annoying.

Linguica said:

Please please please stop with the oneoneoneelevenonehundredeleven stuff, it's quite annoying.

All the more reasion to keep saying it :D

tony said:

Oops, I mean with the Linux CD. Can't play JDoom with freedoom ? Wanna bet >)

Some of the levels use boom features and some dont (and some use more than others). Its not much use if some levels dont work.

It seems jDoom works fine with it, it's just the level isn't complete yet, sort of hard for a first level and the beeping driving me crazy. Anyways I compare this when using the plane doom, by the way it gave me a error

R_DrawPlanes: visplane overflow (139)
C:\Download\Freedoom>

tony said:

ah, I see, will they be converted later to work with jDoom as well ?

No, because freedoom is designed to work only with boom-compatible ports. The features added by boom are fairly conservative, and supporting only boom-compatible ports gives a lot of useful editing options and removes problems with arbitrary limits..

tony said:

It seems jDoom works fine with it, it's just the level isn't complete yet, sort of hard for a first level and the beeping driving me crazy. Anyways I compare this when using the plane doom, by the way it gave me a error

R_DrawPlanes: visplane overflow (139)
C:\Download\Freedoom>

This is the classic 'visplane limit'. This is one of the major things fixed by boom.

Boom supports a whole load of new editing options. While the levels may appear to run fine at a first glance, in practice you're likely to find a fair number of gameplay bugs (doors not opening, textures not animated as they should be, etc). If you want Jdoom to work with freedoom your best bet is to contact the author of Jdoom and ask him to add boom functionality to it. There are a whole load of other boom wads out there as well as freedoom, so doing this would allow them to be played under Jdoom also.

Yeah because there are *so* many more people that play JDoom than play Boom compatable levels...

tony said:

No wonder this place is so dead (sorry)

I dont understand what you mean by this. I'm just trying to explain the reasoning behind the freedoom level guidelines. I didnt mean to seem patronising or insulting, I'm sorry if I gave that impression.

fraggle said:

I dont understand what you mean by this. I'm just trying to explain the reasoning behind the freedoom level guidelines. I didnt mean to seem patronising or insulting, I'm sorry if I gave that impression.

So please give me some good news and tell me this is only the desighn with the maps. Can freedoom or freeboom be playable with jDoom if the maps and levels were redesighn ? I know there's zgl doom and all but it doesn't quit compare with jDoom md2 wads.

Removing the Boom effects from the maps would be pretty useles, since they are used for effects that can't be achived with normal Doom editing features.

Well, the decision to make FreeDoom Boom compatible has been made long ago, and it was a good decision.

You mean boom dependent don't you ? Could freedoom change it's name to freeboom and remove the jDoom screenshots as well ?

No problem, but I did believe that this iwad was able to work with jDoom, considering the hi resorlution patch, flats, screenshots of Freedoom running under jDoom and all my hopes that the textures I work so hard on would be use with it. I consider this project as a replacement of the original, until I just found out now that it can only work with boom, I was sort of crush to learn this.

I got some good news, I request on the jDoom forum about boom support and he refer me to Risen3D, which is more or less like jDoom but supports the boom features, so I guess I can forgive you, but only a little. Hopefully there will be a more conservitive effort for freedoom later in the future, by the way, all the doors and pillers open up just fine, however level 3 is still incomplete.

Here's the ftp directory just in case you want to try it out.

ftp.jbserver.com

It's located in the /Anonymous/abbs/Risen3D directory.

http://www.air-internet.com/~awalker/show/Freedoom.jpg

Congratulations, but you could have just read my post above to find that out.

BTW, the images you have posted are both far larger than allowed by DW forum rules.

Grazza, you're far too kind. Tony is a jackass who knows virtually nothing about Freedoom and is taking his ignorance out on everyone. Stop playing moderator and start flaming. :D