Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
READ THE FAQ

Engines

What is your favorite Engine?...Why?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Engine?...Why?

• Doom Engine
    • Quake Engine
    • Unreal Engine
    • Build Engine
    • Other

It's a tough call between Doom and Unreal for me. I love them both and find that they are both extremely easy to edit for. And each one seems to have a feel I like about it. But, seeing that I've known Doom the longest, I vote for Doom. Quake I've never really liked.

...adds Build Engine because games like Blood and Duke Nukem are considered by many to be just as good as Doom...

Other, because I can't decide between Doom, Quake and Unreal.

Doom - easy to edit for, allround speed (gameplay)
Quake - Polygon-punding mayhem
Unreal - A nice modular and pretty looking thingy
Build - A bit hacky

I'll somehow restrain myself from adding "Difference Engine" to the poll.

For sheer beauty, the Unreal engine. For advanced features, the Quake engine. For fun and simplicity, the Doom engine.

What I like about the Q3 engine is that it's so damn fast. I dunno what id does, but somehow they always manage to make their engine quite a lot faster than other companies engines.

I really like far cry's engine with it's jungle scenes, and stalkers engine is equally awesome. I've never really liked unreal engine, but It's art assets usually suck which lets it down.

also the unreal engines had the best crash messages. They were simply huge, I had to switch to 1600x1200 (from 1024x768) to fit it on screen.

boris said:

What I like about the Q3 engine is that it's so damn fast. I dunno what id does, but somehow they always manage to make their engine quite a lot faster than other companies engines.

I agree, which is why I prefer to run Q3 over UT most of the time.

Later Unreal Engines (improved Unreal engine?) it seems. The original Unreal engine had a look I somehow couldn't stand. Things just didn't seem meaty enough for my tastes.

I voted Doom engine, just because.

But I WANTED to vote for the Throng engine.
(That's the engine my brother-in-law and I are working on.)

Other-

The engine in Max Payne 2, just because I love ragdoll physics and bullet time

I also like the Chrome engine, for its crazy shoot-a-guy-and-he-flies-150-feet ragdoll physics.

Coopersville said:

Other-

The engine in Max Payne 2, just because I love ragdoll physics and bullet time

I was very unimpressed with the physics in MP2. They didn't seem all that realistic. The objects would either be sucked down too quick or too slow for their weight. A cardboard box is not made out of rubber, it doesn't need to bounce that much. Oh and my other point about Max payne 2:

Scabbed Angel said:

Vice city, not as good as GTA3 imo, but the best of the list.

Max payne 2 would be a close second, but I hate how the model was changed (facial wise) from the first (think Ted Bundy), the graphics, sadly, didn't impress me very much at all. Did they even use bump mapping? I could't tell. I'm sure it was a great game and all, I just couldn't get into it, which kind of sucks, but maybee I'll give it a second shot sometime.

VS The first Max Payne did not look like Ted Bundy.

The Infinity Engine. Commercially introduced with Baldur's Gate, finally retired after Icewind Dale II.

Eh, the infinity engine was kind of weak. For instance, it had the WORST AI pathfinding I've ever seen

Wait, actualy that's all I can think of that's wrong with it. Bad AI pathfinding. And the lack of acessable editors. Otherwise it was pretty damn cool, though I would have preferred the combat style they had in Fallout better (turn-based as opposed to real-time -- the turn-based options in Baldur's Gate and such were pretty lame).

Crono said:

actually..the "ragdoll" phisics don't come form max payne..they come from tony hawks pro skater

Actually, it comes from ME. I thought of it first. Don't believe me? Look at this:

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6929&perpage=30&pagenumber=2

Under my old username "Manik999".

Another one of my incredible ideas that my programmer friends dismissed as "impractical". Now someone else is cashing in on it.

Actually both of you boneheads are wrong. The Ragdolling in Max Payne is the HAVOK physics engine. Max Payne uses the the Havok 2.0 engine.

People who don't play Max Payne 2 because max looks different are hopeless. Completely hopeless. Max Payne looks alot better in 2 than 1 he looks normal now.

Honestly, DOOM's engine, because I like it, and not any other.

Wow, Manik I actually decided to read that post you linked too...

You are full of shit :P

Numbertwit gurgled
Another one of my incredible ideas that my programmer friends dismissed as "impractical". Now someone else is cashing in on it.

Not only full of shit, but completely idiotic. Ragdoll physics has been around alot longer than you seem to realise and games have actually used such a thing. Go look up Havok or MathEngine and have a look at how long they've been making physic software.

Heh, interesting, It seems MathEngine got bought by Criterion late last year. Interesting, very interesting actually.....oooooh GTA with Ragdoll physics? Sweeet :D

LorD BaZTArD said:

Wow, Manik I actually decided to read that post you linked too...

You are full of shit :P

Not only full of shit, but completely idiotic. Ragdoll physics has been around alot longer than you seem to realise and games have actually used such a thing. Go look up Havok or MathEngine and have a look at how long they've been making physic software.

Right, because the idea came to me only three seconds before I posted it. Right? I mean, that's OBVIOUSLY what's going on, because knowledge of computers doesn't exist beyond people who get paid to program for them. And these new coding concepts don't exist until THEY think of them. (smiley face)

Are you one of those people who say Quake was the first true 3D engine?