Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
READ THE FAQ

Engines

What is your favorite Engine?...Why?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Engine?...Why?

• Doom Engine
    • Quake Engine
    • Unreal Engine
    • Build Engine
    • Other

Numbermind said:

Are you one of those people who say Quake was the first true 3D engine?

[incoherant bullshit]Everyone knows Tunnel Runner was the first true 3D engine.[/incoherant bullshit]

No, because your post was made in 2002. If you bothered to look up havok like I said, you would of noticed that Havok was formed in 1998. A full four years before your post. Havok have being working in games for a while, so saying no-one had done it before you, is not only wrong it's completely stupid. Here is the link for you: havok.com if you don't know how to use google. :P

Quake wasn't the first 3D game, not buy a long shot. But I'm would be curious for you to state which game you think was the first true 3D game.

GENESIS.. 3D! Bekauze it kame with my gaem porgrammerz guide book and evan had and intervew with Jon Remero!!1

*ahem*

Although Quake is my favorite for editing... For it's innovativeness and ability to re-create the havoc of earlier shooters, my vote goes to the Serious engine.

LorD BaZTArD said:

No, because your post was made in 2002. If you bothered to look up havok like I said, you would of noticed that Havok was formed in 1998. A full four years before your post. Havok have being working in games for a while, so saying no-one had done it before you, is not only wrong it's completely stupid. Here is the link for you: havok.com if you don't know how to use google. :P

Quake wasn't the first 3D game, not buy a long shot. But I'm would be curious for you to state which game you think was the first true 3D game.

Wow-- COMPLETELY missed the point of my post. Read the part about "three seconds before I posted" and then add sarcasm. Haven't you ever had an idea, held onto it for SO LONG and then had it pop up in some form or another on a commercial release? Or am I the only one who looked at the first Quake and said, "why don't they just program preset animations instead of using the same 2D frame-by-frame animation concept?" Of course, the people who have the resources to apply a new idea(in a commercial release) get to have the distinction of having "thought of it first", even though hundreds of guys sitting in front of their computers were thinking the same thing.

At any rate-- 3D engines were being made for computers long before the x86 processor was invented. If you're talking realtime 3D(not counting frames per second), games for Apple and Commodore featured it. Chuck Yeager's Flight Simulator is a favorite of mine.

Oh, and I vote the MOOD64 engine as my favorite.

Doom Engine - cause of all the nice source ports out there (especially jDoom and Legacy)

Unreal Engine - very pretty environments, mostly the UT2K4 demo I've been playing.

Numbermind said:

Or am I the only one who looked at the first Quake and said, "why don't they just program preset animations instead of using the same 2D frame-by-frame animation concept?"

Are you trying to describe interpolation? I can't quite understand what you mean..

First, I think it's lame to compare engines like this. Engines are engines. If there was one good engine that was better than any other, all games would be using it. Different engines work for different types of gameplay.

Secondly I think it's lame to start a poll about the best engine and only have 4. It's like online personality tests.

What's your favourite food?

1. Hamburgers
  2. Tacos
  3. Steak
  4. Salad

LorD BaZTArD said:

Actually both of you boneheads are wrong. The Ragdolling in Max Payne is the HAVOK physics engine. Max Payne uses the the Havok 2.0 engine.

People who don't play Max Payne 2 because max looks different are hopeless. Completely hopeless. Max Payne looks alot better in 2 than 1 he looks normal now.

1.)I didn't say is wasn't Havok(which any idiot who played the game would know), just that it doesn't feel realistic to me.
2.)I didn't say I don't play the new game cause he looks like TED BUNDY. Its just an observation, and I liked how he looked in the first one better. He looked badass in 1st imo. Not he's a pussy murderer/rapist. Read a post before commenting on it : )

ToXiCFLUFF said:

Are you trying to describe interpolation? I can't quite understand what you mean..

No, skeletal animation. Which, by the way, is accredited to Valve.

Hyena said:

If there was one good engine that was better than any other, all games would be using it.

Only if it were open-source freeware (though even then, it might not necessarily be suitable for all game ideas). This is a competitive industry, after all.

And the question was "favourite", not "best".

I wasn't replying to you Scabbed. The bonehead remark went to Crono and Numbermind. The Max payne comment was my opinion.

Numbermind: Well yeah, I've had plenty of ideas that I reckon that should go into games, few have been done yet. I'm the kind of person that dreams up insane ideas but doesn't have the know-how to do it. Some minor ideas have popped up, Like Socom's abilities to talk to your AI squadmates via headset. The type of game I would love to play would probably be so complex that Only I'd play it anyway. heheh :D

Numbermind said:

Wow-- COMPLETELY missed the point of my post. Read the part about "three seconds before I posted" and then add sarcasm. Haven't you ever had an idea, held onto it for SO LONG and then had it pop up in some form or another on a commercial release? Or am I the only one who looked at the first Quake and said, "why don't they just program preset animations instead of using the same 2D frame-by-frame animation concept?" Of course, the people who have the resources to apply a new idea(in a commercial release) get to have the distinction of having "thought of it first", even though hundreds of guys sitting in front of their computers were thinking the same thing.

Wow, more than one person having the same idea - that's not new at all.

That still doesn't mean you should get the "credit" for thinking it up. I'm sure, like you said, lots of other guys sitting in front of their computers were thinking the same thing. Just because some people actually have the skill and money to put the idea into practice, doesn't mean they don't deserve the credit for it.

Hahahahaha! That's just funny. You're actually trying to take credit for Max Payne's ragdoll system?

Hey, I've got a crazy idea. How about we start a software company, and then, instead of making quality products, we just strongarm our way into the market!

DC