Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CtrlAltDestroy

Archvile Altitude

When you get attacked by an Archvile, how high (in DOOM units) does your character fly up?

I need to know this before I can make any of those tricky secrets that involve using an archvile to fling you up somewhere.

I won't tell you the numbers cause I don't know them but look at Hell revealed 2 Map04 - this map has a secret area which is reachable only by archville jump (where two pain elementals and a caco open up).

It's hard to tell how high a player will be thrust. The momentum that is applied is calculated with this formula:

momz = 1000 * FRACUNIT / target->Mass;

The actual height depends on the mass (can be changed with Dehacked) and the current gravity (which can be changed by some source ports). And don't forget that the player is thrust upwards a bit more by ZDoom because you'll also get a rocket jump effect. If you want to know the absolute height you have to try it yourself.

Donce said:

I won't tell you the numbers cause I don't know them but look at Hell revealed 2 Map04 - this map has a secret area which is reachable only by archville jump (where two pain elementals and a caco open up).

Another example is the secret exit in map 31 of TEETH.WAD (Master Levels). You need an Archie to boost you up onto a shelf. (Demo here, if you have the wad handy.)

If you have several Arch-Viles you can trigger several of them to attack you; if they don't do it at the same time it is sometimes possible to be shot up in the air by one Arch-Vile and then further up by the next one and so on. This may allow you to jump great distances and great heights.

This can be studied for example in Memento Mori map 23 (the red/blue key room) and, incidentally, in a demo I made on Hell Revealed map 32 (requires ZDooM 1.22).