Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fwank

psx 1 final doom version..

Does anyone knows where i can download the final doom wad file of PSX 1 version?This version has additional maps tht the pc version doesn't(heck,ballistyx...).Thanks in advance.Doom rules!!!!Doom never dies

It is not possible to be able to be able to use the PSX Doom levels with PC Doom. Regardless, what you're asking for is considered as warez.

You can just copy it off the CD, but it wont work in anything you try and open it with anyway..besides, the bloke who made DSV has created replicas of some of the "console-only" levels on his site, which i think is http://dsv.newdoom.com

Weren't the "console only" levels basically levels of Final DOOM? Judging by the names they are (Heck, Ballistyx). Was their content somehow different?

fwank said:

Does anyone knows where i can download the final doom wad file of PSX 1 version?This version has additional maps tht the pc version doesn't(heck,ballistyx...).Thanks in advance.Doom rules!!!!Doom never dies

thats a smart thing to say.

anyways, you can buy Final Doom for the PC which is exactly the same as its psx counterpart. Also containing many levels that never made it to the psx.

It's true that the pc version of final doom has more levels that the psx version hadn't.But i want to find this wad because provides few levels tht even the pc version lacks

fwank said:

It's true that the pc version of final doom has more levels that the psx version hadn't.But i want to find this wad because provides few levels tht even the pc version lacks

I am sorry. That does not make sense.

There are no exclusive levels on the PSX Final Doom. the PC version contains all of the oringinal levels. And NO, you cannot find the wad from psx final doom. it does not exist on the internet.

No, the way it is, is that there are three episodes on PSX Doom totalling 30 levels. One episode is some master levels, another a sampler of Evilution and the other a sampler of Plutonia.

The fuckers deliberately mislead you on the back cover of the CD by implying that the game has more than 64 levels in total.

fwank said:

This version has additional maps tht the pc version doesn't(heck,ballistyx...).

In general there's nothing, level-wise, in PlayStation Final Doom that can't be found in PC Final Doom, or PC Master Levels for Doom II. The PlayStation levels were edited a bit here and there, but overall the layouts of the 30 copied maps are pretty close to those of the PC/Mac equivalents.
More info here.

deathbringer said:

You can just copy it off the CD, but it wont work in anything you try and open it with anyway..besides, the bloke who made DSV has created replicas of some of the "console-only" levels on his site, which i think is http://dsv.newdoom.com

Actually, if you had EPSXE you could play it on your computer.

this doesnt really have to do with this topic, but it has to do with psx doom. I was just wondering if anyone knows how the sounds were taken from the psx version. Were they just recorded, or was an emulator used? same with n64 textures, that must have been with an emulator.

ShaneAmp said:

this doesnt really have to do with this topic, but it has to do with psx doom. I was just wondering if anyone knows how the sounds were taken from the psx version. Were they just recorded, or was an emulator used? same with n64 textures, that must have been with an emulator.

do a search on the internet for a PSX utility called Psound. This was what I used to extract the sounds from Psxdoom.

ive actually used that before, i couldnt get any of those sounds to play, only certain channels of the music. I was just wondering anyways. Ever used Psicture i think its called? i couldnt get that to read anything either.

Does anyone here know why the PSX levels are much wider than the PC levels? Just compare a screenshot of psx e1m1 then compare it to the pc version at the same rez and you will see what I mean. The PSX version of doom could have been the best version of doom but the framerate sucks especially in levels like Perfect Hatred.

Rob McKai said:

Does anyone here know why the PSX levels are much wider than the PC levels? Just compare a screenshot of psx e1m1 then compare it to the pc version at the same rez and you will see what I mean. The PSX version of doom could have been the best version of doom but the framerate sucks especially in levels like Perfect Hatred.

O.o; *turns on Doom for PC and then leans back, flicking her PS2 on to compare screens*

.... *kills a Pain Elemental on the PSX version just to hear it say "I live"* Tee-hee...

Anyhow... yeah the screen does look a little more stretched on the PSX version... but maybe its because the little bottom bar is a lot thinner on the PSX version. *shrug* Probably an illusion of the eye.

...Heh... there are no Barons or Hell Knights in "Baron's Lair"... at least not on UV.

Rob McKai said:

Does anyone here know why the PSX levels are much wider than the PC levels?

Are you playing a PAL version? PAL has usually 288 lines (non interlaced) compared to standard VGA's 200 lowres. Substracting the overscan tolerance video games usually use 240 or 256 of them (or in cheaply converted games just only 200), I didn't count them in PSX Doom right now. Asuming there are still 320 pixel per line, the image would be streched a bit. I also saw this effect on the Amiga compared to PC in some other games. NTSC is usually closer to standard VGA aspect ratio.

Yeah its the pal game I'm playing. I put it down to the fact that there might be slight differences in the engine. I know some parts of levels are a lot flatter eg. (stair cases and pillers are not as high as the pc version.)

In both PSX DOOM games, a lot of detail was removed, which took away some atmosphere from the game, and turned it into a flowing fragfest (moreso than usual).

To be honest I think PSX Doom has 10 times the atmosphere of the PC version due to the coloured lighting, music and wider looking levels.

The colors are nice, indeed.
But I like the sfx and music in the PC version much more. Not to mention all those chopped off parts in the maps and the missing ones, I don't have to worry about on the PC.

Of course, one shouldn't compare the music to OPL beeping. You really should listen to it with a good wavetable like a Soundcanvas.

I don't have a mouse for my PSX which I really need for Doom.

And finally, as the maps from Doom1 episode's 1-3 are very well playable at an acceptable framerate, Doom 2, Final Doom and the Masterlevels have too much details (even parts are already taken from them) for playing with a decent framerate.

And the realy REALY big drawback: You cannot just "-file" some pwads. As there is no command line, and the map format differs anyway.

Relica Religia said:

In both PSX DOOM games, a lot of detail was removed,

I think a lot of that has to do with the fact the the older, watered-down Jaguar Doom maps were simply rubber-stamped into the "Ultimate Doom" Episode. Bad start for an otherwise good console port. ("Good" compared to its predecessors, at least, IMHO.)
:-)

I noticed the levels are wider to. I did some comparing in my recent unemployment because i had the time to:) In some areas the levels are actually wider, but generally the resolution is different...i think, u can kinda make the pc version look the same if u screw around with the verticle size on ur monitor. Even running it in an emulator its wider.

For a while there i tried mapping out the rest of the levels from ultimate doom first episode, that keiser didnt do in his console doom mega wad, and also fixed up some of the parts of his that werent acurate. Unfortunately doing this on someone elses computer, they decided they didnt want doom on their computer, and deleted everything id done, which was everything down to a little scripting and colored lighting left to go, since i was just learning that stuff. I expected to be done in less then 2 weeks of here and there work. Maybe ill do it again heh, if anyone wanted to be a part of it, that would encourage me to start it again:)

I always liked to psx version, that and the snes version were the only ones i could play until i got a computer that could actually play doom decent and with sound, so i guess its kidna sentimental in that way. The PC version is great for its own reasons, a littl more replay value with all the ports out there, you cant get anything like that for the psx. PC has more you can do with it, thats why i wanetd to try and convert the psx levels to pc, i kinda got bored of playing it on the psx to, even though i personally prefer playing on a console.

I've had SNES DOOM for half my life. Ironic that such a crappy DOOM port could bring me so much fun, and hooking me on the game itself. :P

But yeah, if there's one thing REALLY good about PSX DOOMs, it's the music. Love the music.

yeah it sets the mood. Funny though, if u ever tried a emulator for the SPU, and u play the seperate tracks thats used to make the music, all it is, is a couple little samples, that just get looped over and over, it takes about 10 seconds to play the samples in the first level by themselves, but does a good job on the atmosphere

actually i like the snes version because of how crappy it is, cept its impossible to control, the strafe was kinda messed up