Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
geekmarine

Strife support? Really?

Okay, so apparently now Zdoom has sort-of support for Strife. However, I downloaded the demo, and I cannot get Zdoom to recognize it. What do I have to do to get Strife to sort-of work in Zdoom?

geekmarine said:

Okay, so apparently now Zdoom has sort-of support for Strife. However, I downloaded the demo, and I cannot get Zdoom to recognize it. What do I have to do to get Strife to sort-of work in Zdoom?

STRIFE0.WAD has a different texture format from the final version. That whole texture change was an odd thing to do considering the trivial amount of space they saved :)

And yes, I told Randy this way back when he started this. Guess he didn't believe me or didn't know what I meant?

Strife0.wad from the v1.0 demo seems to have the same exact texture format as Doom.

But Strife0.wad from the v1.1 demo and strife1.wad from all full versions (1.0, 1.2, 1.3, 1.31) have the Strife format with unused fields deleted. I guess they did it since some textures (signs) have as many as 30 patches.

I could be wrong, but I think ZDoom is just not set to support the demo strife0.wad at all. Makes sense since full version support isn't anywhere close to complete and may not really be planned at this point.

As it is, ZDoom has weapons and enemies more fully implemented (which can be spawned in other games) while Vavoom actually lets you play a substantial ways into the game but still isn't finished. Currently the old dos version of Strife is the only way you can play completely through the whole game.