Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lord of the Noobs

DooM II - Souls of Hell

Well, I'd like to post what I've done of my MegaWAD-in-the-making, DooM II - Souls of Hell. I'd love your opinions... since I'm customizing it so much, or at least trying to, I'd like you guys to tell me everything that I should change... and try to be spacific, not just say "I'm tired of hearing d_runnin in level 1, change it or shove it up your ass" or something. Tell me what should become what. I'm a major newbie to WAD making, but I'm doing my best... please tell me anything that's good or bad about my MegaWAD. Thanks!

Oh, here is the linky: http://www.angelfire.com/stars4/wodrw/DooM_II_Souls_of_Hell.wad

~Tony

Lord of the Noobs said:

Am I stupid or what...?

Are you sure you wanna ask this kind of question around here?

Dunno... as my name suggests, I'm new here! Oh, and BTW, if you playtest what I've done of my game (3 full levels, starting on 4th), then make sure to start at the TITLE screen, so in DooM 95, go to Options and hit End Game... something different than the CD vs the Human awaits....

~Tony

And apparantly you are also quite new to Doom editing.

I'm sure that with time, practice and a continuing love for the game you'll become a good Doom editor, but this creation I have just downloaded is not good.

You really need to aim for a bit higher standard. Sure such wads as this are good for practice, but when making wads for a wider audience you need far more quality than this.

Yea, these are the first levels that I've ever made... maybe you guys could give me a few pointers and tell me exactly what I should fix and where....? Thanks

~Tony

Lord of the Noobs said:

Yea, these are the first levels that I've ever made... maybe you guys could give me a few pointers and tell me exactly what I should fix and where....? Thanks

~Tony

More detail - nothing's really broken; your door textures are nicely aligned etc, just increase the complexity of your geometry. The most immediately apparent deficiency in your wad, though, is lack of ceiling/floor height variation. Easily remedied.

Yea, I agree with you on that one. I'm trying to remedy that with Level 4 - Jail at the moment. More variations of the ceiling/floor height/depth is my next goal. I think you guys will find Jail veeeeeery interesting....

~Tony

OK... The levels are very basic. The monster placement is pretty dodgy, (especially in level 4.) Put weapons at the beggining of each of your levels. I started all of them with just a pistol and I had to kill a few chaingunners and some imps to get a good weapon.
For a first wad, they're alright. Just work a bit on monster placement and detail.

I'd start doing the graphics once I have finished making all of the levels...

Well, for starters, you oughta learn how to make sectors within sectors, since I can't help but notice that there aren't any. In most modern editors, all you need to do is draw a sector inside another sector. Perhaps an editor upgrade is in store for you?

Second, realize that somtimes the biggest difference between an amateur wad designer and an expert wad designer is the time invested in creating the level. Don't be afraid to spend a whole day, or more, on just one room. Heck, I can spend several days working on a scene that will pass in ten seconds, but it's that extra bit of effort that makes a great wad.

Yea, I guess... I use WADAuthor to make the levels, and WINTEX to do advanced stuff, like graphics and musics changes and whatnot. Anyway, I'll try to put more detail into my levels... I'm quite proud of Jail, in fact, and I will begin placing goodies and baddies very soon. Hopefully it'll rock the house!

~Tony

At least you are having fun making these levels. That is the most important thing.

However, it isn't wise to expose people to your first couple of levels. Try new things, explore the different options in your editor, and keep making things more detailed. Pretty soon, work on one level and make it as good and detailed as you can get it.
When you finally have something you think everyone (not just you) will like, then post a thread or something asking "okay, so how does this look?" and really really take in what people suggest to you. You can always count on your audience to tell you the truth.

[/inspiration]