Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cyb

Calling All Wannabe Newstuffers

Due to some unforseen computer issues, Ultimate Doomer will be unable to perform his duties as a newstuff reviewer for newstuff 170 and possibly 172 (but we'll wait on that first). Since I don't have any people in my head who I think would be awesome for the job of permanent newstuffers (like Grazza), I'm putting out this casting call.

I've selected two WADs at random (and when I mean at random, I just went to any directory and picked a wad with no votes) for you to review. Once you finish the reviews (screenshots are not necessary) PM it to me. If you e-mail it or send it to me on IRC I'll ignore it and your future submissions (even if they are by PM). Only your first submission will be looked at, so make sure it's good (spelling, grammar, punctuation and so on). If I like your reviews (and keep in mind I'm also basing my decision on your past behavior and posts on these forums) I'll inform you on Sunday at the latest that you can do newstuff 170 and I'll fill you in as to all the details.

Newstuff 170 will cover all WADs released from Saturday the 21st to Saturday the 28th (unless it's reviewed in ns169). It's also possible you may find a permanent position on the reviewing staff as a replacement of deathz0r (if you so desire), but there's no guarantee of that right now.

So yeah, here are the wads:
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=10455
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=11325

Any questions should be posted here and I'll answer them as soon as possible.

Hurray. Something to do today. (I already have 2 reviews of the recent megawads, I'll post them here).

EDIT TO OTHERS: I did read the instructions. I just posted this as a preview.

--Garrulo - By Eye del Cul--

There is always those weird levelsets you might bump into every once in a while. This seems to be one of them. The first thing you notice that the whole levelset and deh file is in spanish. The other thing to note is the....rather odd theme. It's your adverage "Go through bases and then through hell" type stuff, but the levels seem to be cluttured with pictures of random spanish guys. The most odd part is that the boss screen is Osama bin Laden.
Aside from the oddness, the levels aren't that bad. They have the oldschool feel and the industrial maps are fun to play. There are some instances when you are in a big map and you seem to be lost. Most of the maps eat up about 10 minutes, so expect a nice big chunk of your time. The architecture seems to be dated, though. The midi however, is pretty irra

tating. Some of the maps have songs that we know and love/hate (like map22). I suggest you turn down the midi.
If you want a good 32 maps to play, this outta shred some time.

--BloodRust - By Slayer --

Absolutly Brilliant.
It hasn't been long since a nice levelset like this popped into newstuff. The maps use great use of the default textures and make the game feel like it has new ones (literally and not :P). Detail spills all over the corridors and outdoor areas (the 'portals' have their own nifty detail, too). The levels have the good ol mixed gameplay of Bella and Scythe mixed together. Although there are only 11 maps, every one of them won't be a waste of your time.
I suggest you download this and experiance a nice quick Doom experiance that's ready to come again.

EDIT: Sent the PM to you cyb.

BlackFish said:

I'll post the reviews mentioned in the topic in a bit.

And watch you spain-ling (sic) this time.

Cyb said:

Once you finish the reviews (screenshots are not necessary) PM it to me. If you e-mail it or send it to me on IRC I'll ignore it and your future submissions (even if they are by PM).

BlackFish said:

I'll post the reviews mentioned in the topic in a bit.

Send the reviews by private message; don't post them in this thread.

Ichor said:

Send the reviews by private message; don't post them in this thread.

You know who you're talking to, right?

NiGHTMARE said:

His reviews were also of the wrong wads.

Read the post fully. I purposly did that.

edit: sent over the reviews. Those were some pretty interesting picks Cyb.

Long and painful experience suggests that it matters a great deal. :)

The latest /newstuff Chronicles is more often than not the top story on Doomworld's front page, and so is normally the first thing that new visitors to this site see.

Heh, Cyb called me awesome. :p

uh, this isn't a 'hey contact me whenever you want to do newstuff' thing, it's a 'anyone who wants to do newstuff 170, show me you're not braindead' thing. it's not an open thing to all where I depend on someone random every week and hope to god they actually do it, so insertmywackyfootinyourbutt :P

Cyb said:

uh, this isn't a 'hey contact me whenever you want to do newstuff' thing, it's a 'anyone who wants to do newstuff 170, show me you're not braindead' thing. it's not an open thing to all where I depend on someone random every week and hope to god they actually do it, so insertmywackyfootinyourbutt :P

My bad.