Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
netnomad312

"Ice Base" Screenshots

I've been working on this Skulltag DM wad for the past two weeks or so, primarily because of a bit of mapper's block on my other project. :-/

This is just a working title, though, and if anyone has a better title I'm open to suggestions. Anyway, this is the page:

http://netnomad312.tripod.com/icebase.html

There are ten shots and a print-preview of the map at this point. It's about 630K worth of .png images... and to be honest I don't know if I have a bandwidth limit or what it is, so if the page doesn't load, you can just pm me and I'll send you the shots.

Very nice, did you make any of the textures? Map design looks like a promising DM experience.

I agree that the name needs to be replaced. Having a dull map name can mean the difference between someone downloading it or passing it up.

Unfortunately, I suck at names (I'm 24 maps into a 32 level replacement and still have no name for the project!).

I got a few for you.
1.Static Shock
2.Demon Death
3.Bullet Raped
4.Red,Blue,Green etc....Cross
5.Kill Switch(The game kicked ass)
6.Soul Steal

Im sure u can think of a project name somehow.

Shtbag667 said:

Very nice, did you make any of the textures? Map design looks like a promising DM experience.

Nope, not me. Most of the textures, except the ice cave wall, are NiGHTMARE's work.

Shtbag667 said:

I agree that the name needs to be replaced. Having a dull map name can mean the difference between someone downloading it or passing it up.

Unfortunately, I suck at names (I'm 24 maps into a 32 level replacement and still have no name for the project!).

Heh, you're going a megawad too, eh? That's what I was working on... still am, off and on.

I just thought of a name. "Hell Frozen Over."

It does sound played out and I've seen that name in maps for others games...but I just thought I'de throw it out there.

Shtbag667 said:

I just thought of a name. "Hell Frozen Over."

I would say "Frozen Over" is enough. Soiunds reallu good.

netnomad312 said:

Nope, not me. Most of the textures, except the ice cave wall, are NiGHTMARE's work.

Actually, if you're using the ice floor texture from skulltag.wad, it's ripped from Hexen.

This is just a working title, though, and if anyone has a better title I'm open to suggestions.

Titles? Heh:

White Sand (could be cold...)
Frost Fortress (getting colder)
Arcticus (getting really cold)
Antarcticus (even colder :)
Hypothermia (now you're talkin!)

AlexMax said:

How about "Arctic Chill"

Heh, sounds like a Gatorade flavor.

boris said:

Actually, if you're using the ice floor texture from skulltag.wad, it's ripped from Hexen.

*Snaps finger* THAT's where I found that flat, thanks for reminding me. Heh.

I started off using NiGHTMARE's ice flat, which was just a recolor. Now that I'm using Skulltag/Hexen's ice flat for solid ice, I was hoping to use NiGHTMARE's for "ice water." Of course, it has to be animated to work correctly... but there weren't any other frames for it. I don't have the same program, so I can't exactly do it myself. Has anyone else done it before?

Thanks for all the name suggestions... I might go with Frost Fortress or maybe Arctic Chill... not sure yet.

...I wonder what the deadline for getting it into /newstuff is... I haven't released a wad in a long time. Forutnately I have all day tomorrow to work on this one. Hmm.

If you're editing for ZDoom (or compatible) you can use a warping flat, then you only need one frame. Look here on how to create a warping flat.

boris said:

If you're editing for ZDoom (or compatible) you can use a warping flat, then you only need one frame. Look here on how to create a warping flat.

Hmm. Not exactly the effect I was going for...

EDIT: Heh, I forgot something. A little beta-testing is necessary... and with Doom Connector down that gets considerably harder (as there was usually one of my clan online to help test things). So maybe tomorrow I'll put up a beta copy. Anyone want to test?

netnomad312 said:

Of course, it has to be animated to work correctly... but there weren't any other frames for it. I don't have the same program, so I can't exactly do it myself. Has anyone else done it before?

Altough I never done it before there's a... trick you can use. Flats are 64x64 pictures, right? Just extract the "icewater" as a bmp, copy it four times. Each another frame should have an offset 16,16. After adding all of them to a WAD and giving appropriate ANIMDEFS you should see that they work exactly as original Doom liquid flats.

You could take a closer look at a large (512x512) single sector with FWATER or NUKAGE flat to see what I mean. Those flats are not animated in any way. They just scroll in diagonal direction.

Huh. I hope I made myself quite clear. Sorry if not.

ellmo said:

Altough I never done it before there's a... trick you can use. Flats are 64x64 pictures, right? Just extract the "icewater" as a bmp, copy it four times. Each another frame should have an offset 16,16. After adding all of them to a WAD and giving appropriate ANIMDEFS you should see that they work exactly as original Doom liquid flats.

You could take a closer look at a large (512x512) single sector with FWATER or NUKAGE flat to see what I mean. Those flats are not animated in any way. They just scroll in diagonal direction.

Huh. I hope I made myself quite clear. Sorry if not.

You know, I didn't notice that until I played HR2, very recently. And all this time, I thought that those were animated....