Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Ubik

The ethics of xenocide/genocide as demonstrated by the Metroid universe.

Actually, I think the Metroid series is a good hypothetical demonstration of the principles of xenocide and genocide: When do we put the safety of ourselves above the safety and rights of others, and is there any situation in which this is appropriate?

I think a more clear-cut case within the Metroid universe is that of the X in Metroid Fusion: an organism that exists 100% parasitically, and uses or consumes all lifeforms with which it comes in contact without remorse or empathy. It was determined, near the end of the game, that the X were actually acting intelligently to leave SR-388 and the orbiting station, and thus could be classified as sentient lifeforms. However, the X acted 100% malevolently, and posed a risk to any and all lifeforms in existence should it leave SR-388. Despite individual and group rights, the greater good must come first, even if some difficult decisions must be made. In this case, the X posed an unambiguous, malevolent threat to the entirety of life in the known universe. Thus, it would be a matter of several million or billion X versus the quadrillions or quintillions of being existing throughout the galaxy, and by sheer numbers one would be required to decide, with some reservations, that the X would have to at least be permanently quarantined to SR-388, or, should they overcome that barrier and pose an imminent threat, be totally exterminated.

Not only that, but, as has been discussed in other matters of "right to life," one's right to exist does not surmount that of another's, and lifeforms that are not independently motile and functional do not have the right to endanger the lives of those who are. The X, being 100% parasitic and existing entirely on the livelihood of other lifeforms, would not be allowed to override the rights of others to exist, and while it would be permissable to allow it to live in its native environment, it could not be allowed to pose a risk to the rest of the galaxy.

The Metroids, however, are a much more complex and difficult matter. While the X are inherently parasitic and detrimental to their environment, the Metroids are independent and perform a number of different functions in their native environment (most notably the control of the X population). While the X seem to possess parasitically-derived intelligence, the Metroids are themselves also intelligent, but use that intelligence for survival as individuals and as a society, rather than the eradication of other species. The X cannot pose any benefit to other societies, while the Metroids have inherent energy-processing and storing properties that could be wildly beneficial to the galaxy as a whole. Most notably, the X cannot feel empathy for the species they consume, while the Metroids not only have a functioning society, but the potential for empathy and emotionally-based decisions. The end of Super Metroid, where the final Metroid not only refrains from killing Samus but actually sacrifices itself for her, is proof of this.

The problem is that the Metroids can be easily manipulated into functioning as living weapons, whether by the Space Pirates (who are responsible for their proliferation in Metroid and Super Metroid) or the Federation (who planned to use them in Metroid Fusion). However, the potential for misuse does not constitute a viable basis for destruction. A knife has the potential to damage or kill a human being, but we do not blame the knife; rather, we blame the person wielding it. Therefore, while the Metroids are certainly to be handled with care, they could not be exterminated merely because they posed a possible risk within the wrong hands. That acts in flagrant denial of their intelligence and their right to exist without harming others. The Federation should not have sent Samus to exterminate the Metroids, but instead should have opted to keep SR-388 under tight security and keep the Space Pirates from misusing them again.

Sentience isn't the only criterion for the right to survival: one must also take into account the nature of a species's role in its environment, its consumptive nature, and its inherent risk factor. The X, being entirely parasitic and detrimental to its environment, and posing an inherent risk to all other species in the galaxy, does not have a "right to life" that can override its potential to destroy other life; the Metroids, however, do have that "right to life." Therefore, the xenocide of the X in Metroid Fusion was at least somewhat justified, but the eradication of the Metroid species in Metroid II was not.

(can you tell I'm a college student?)

DooMBoy said:

[teapotcallingkettleblack]Nerd[/teapotcallingkettleblack]

I think that's an interesting idea to say the least...

I think the metroid defending Samus was because of the maternal lure. The metroid wouldnt hurt it's mommy. (It doesn't need to know that 'mommy' brutally killed it's -real- mommy) ;)

Didn't the SA-X try to save Samus at the end of Fusion? Or perhaps it was trying to save the ship from the omega metroid.

Epyo said:

Didn't the SA-X try to save Samus at the end of Fusion? Or perhaps it was trying to save the ship from the omega metroid.

As far as I'm cncerned, Fusion didn't exist. What a stupid story.

Numbermind said:

I hope this isn't your thesis, for a number of reasons.

Sure ain't. Wrote it for the hell of it in response to a thread on another internet forum. And shit, I know this would never qualify as a college thesis of any sort; it was simply making a few points pertaining to the thread in which it was posted. It wasn't written as a serious publishing or an assignment or anything like that.

And Epyo, I think the SA-X was attempting to kill the Omega Metroid, as the Metroids are the natural predators of the X and the X would be inclined to do whatever they found necessary to survive and thrive.