Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Wornpeas Tyson

For some reason I decided I just had to do a Tyson demo on an old map called Wornpeas. After lots and lots of deaths, here it is:
Wornpeas UV Tyson in 22:36.

Not exactly neat and tidy, but I get there. Includes punching of barons, revenants, a pain elemental, an archie and others. The PE was a big problem, which is why I get it out of the way as quickly as possible.

The new xit_vono? hehe
It takes a lot of patience to record a long tyson demo... this sucker may just get -timedemo'd. :]

When I get home, I know what I'll do for 22 minutes.

I always tend to screw up in tyson mode, especially in longer runs. Last such attempt by me was in Realm.wad, the demo lasted for 30+ minutes and was so boring that I didn't include it when attaching a few other lmps to this forum.

EDIT: Xit Vono's TNT tyson demos just rock, I watched them like a month ago.

DEMOn said:

The new xit_vono? hehe

Hardly; I think Xit would have done this one in less than ten minutes.

Watching it at something like 200% of normal speed seems like a good idea to me.

Regarding patience... I had one promising attempt ruined when the cat started asking loudly to be fed. I found it remarkably hard to concentrate on punching two barons while trying to ignore the pitiful wails of a hungry cat.

Grazza said:

I had one promising attempt ruined when the cat started asking loudly to be fed. I found it remarkably hard to concentrate on punching two barons while trying to ignore the pitiful wails of a hungry cat.

Since I'm on win98 and only record with doom2.exe or boom.exe I can just Alt+Tab in similar situations and go on later :)

Punch the Barons
Punch the Barons
meow
Punch the Barons
meow
Feed the cat
Punch the Barons
meow
Punch the Barons
Feed the cat
meow
meow
Punch the Barons
Feed the cat
Punch the Barons
Feed the cat
meow
Punch the cat
Feed the Barons

Yes - I really must find out what the best way to pause while recording is. Maybe just press "Pause"...

Ichor: heh. This cat has quite a loud voice though. He starts at MEOW and gets progressively louder.

this is hilarious... as is my postcount. :D
I didn't mean to downplay the demo, I look forward to seeing it!
sounds like a weird map though. :)

Grazza said:

Yes - I really must find out what the best way to pause while recording is. Maybe just press "Pause"...

Is Eternity derived from MBF? If yes, then pausing is enabled while playbacking the demo so while recording it may not work. Even if it does, the in-game pause would be recorded as well. It's possible to remove the pause ticks but you'd better don't do this if there are revenants (and maybe some other monsters) in the demo, it will desync. Apparently, it depends on the tick number whether revenant missile will be homing or not. However, there is one more way to pause the recording (and playback) of a demo with a windows-based port. Not 100% sure how it works on XP but in win9x you can just press Ctrl+Alt+Del and press Cancel when you're ready to go on.

Oh, and I just watched this tyson demo of yours, good work! Would be much harder without the invulnerabilities but with them present you still had to face bigger monsters on your own.

I found these moments funny:

• When the imp flew far away from the crate when punched;
  • When another imp got you from the back near the blue key (came off the lift);
  • Big fat mancubus hanging on the very very edge of the platform.

Donce said:
I always tend to screw up in tyson mode, especially in longer runs. Last such attempt by me was in Realm.wad, the demo lasted for 30+ minutes and was so boring that I didn't include it when attaching a few other lmps to this forum.

Don't get me started on long Tyson runs. It's probably my worst category... which means I'm slow as hell, mis-time punches and take unnecessary damage. The longest one I did was well over one hour. Don't know how long exactly because the tally screen just said "sucks". :-)

Anyway, nice demo indeed, Graham! Don't believe I've seen you playing Tyson style before... I like watching Tyson more than playing it. :-D

Donce said:

Is Eternity derived from MBF? If yes, then pausing is enabled while playbacking the demo so while recording it may not work. Even if it does, the in-game pause would be recorded as well. It's possible to remove the pause ticks but you'd better don't do this if there are revenants (and maybe some other monsters) in the demo, it will desync. Apparently, it depends on the tick number whether revenant missile will be homing or not.

Eternity is indeed derived from MBF (see the chart at the bottom of this page). Pausing is also enabled while playing back in prboom - although that isn't derived from MBF, it has had a lot of support for MBF features added into it. Thanks for the warning about pausing. Maybe I'll just need to make sure the cat is shut out if I want to record any lengthy demos. :P Or maybe I'll try the alternative you suggest. Or perhaps just pressing Escape would work.

I'm glad you enjoyed the demo (or at least some parts of it). It was really annoying that I ran out of pistol ammo for that last arachnotron - the final survivor of the battle outside (the manc in this case) was usually on its last legs and crumpled after just a shot or two, but this time it was very healthy. A lot of the ugliness of the demo around that stage stemmed from that.

Kristian Ronge said:

Anyway, nice demo indeed, Graham! Don't believe I've seen you playing Tyson style before... I like watching Tyson more than playing it. :-D

I don't have much Tyson experience at all. I only recall three others...
This was fun, while my Tyson on pdgate map01 was pretty ugly. The -fast Tyson on 6lev map01 featured no punching, and was really just an extension of my NM Pacifist run on this map.

In general, I like the idea of playing as many categories as possible. Hmm, I've never done a -respawn...

Grazza said:

Or perhaps just pressing Escape would work.

Yes, that's the most simple way to alternatively pause the game. In original exe accesing the menu while recording (with Esc, F4, etc.) results in a desync. I think that Boom (thus Eternity as well) has fixed that but I'm not sure so you'll have to make an experiment. If it works, it's much more comfortable than the famous 3-key combination, but the latter is still useful for pausing playback in ports that don't pause the demo with the Pause key.

In general, I like the idea of playing as many categories as possible. Hmm, I've never done a -respawn... [/B]

I really like respawn - it's interesting to compare how much time you can cut from max, and recording sessions vary more than in max cause random respawning times make the game chaotic (like NM). It's even more unpredictable when monsters are not deaf - they wake up themselves on respawn then. Well why not trying Wornpeas in respawn :)