Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gucek001

Which port is similar to Doom95 & runs Heretic...

Hi!
There are so many ports of Doom now but I only want one simple thing - that it will run very close original version - possibly even without texture blurring.
I just only want resolution(s) higher than 320x200 and (optionally) Windows 2000 compatibility.

Id's original Doom95 was working perfectly for me but AFAIR it couldn't run Hedretic's WADs.

Any suggestions? (sorry for posting here, but couldn't find more general forum) :)

ZDoom and jDoom can both run Heretic, ZDoom is much closer (in terms of looks) to the original exe, http://www.zdoom.org/ (get the latest 2.0 version, not 1.22). jDoom of course looks a lot nicer, http://www.doomsdayhq.com/ but requires a heftier machine (though most machines from within the last few years should run it with no problems). Eternity and Legacy also have preliminary Heretic support (Legacy's might even be complete, I dunno), but your best best is probably ZDoom or jDoom.

I *think* Legacy's Heretic support is complete (and it has a software mode). As long as the wad you want to play doesn't contain voodoo dolls, then it should be OK. (IIRC, that was the only reason why Ultimate DooMer's Shadowcaster couldn't be played in Legacy.)

From the Legacy 1.40 documentation:
|[3-5] Heretic support
|=====================
|
| Yes! Legacy now can handle heretic.wad as a main wad file, so stating
| legacy with heretic.wad in same directory or launching it with "-iwad
| heretic.wad" this set legacy in 'heretic state'.
|
| What we have do is added heretic support to doom engine so the result
| isn't exactely heretic engine, so we hope there is no mush trouble
| running heretic wad and modifications. For this reason old demo
| playback cannot be suppoted.
|
| Anyway now heretic as inherited from legacy new feature : better
| network support, opengl, boom support, ... We have also get some
| stuff from heretic and that can used by doom was like ambient
| sounds, we can now switch 'weapons switch' with missile, legacy
| can use "fontbxxx" lumps for the big font graphics....

There's also the older wHeretic, but I recall a lot of people having trouble getting it to work, though Vince and co. managed to use it OK at Heretic-N.

If you use legacy heretic (to make it look like the original one, use software mode), then make sure you map the [use] command to something OTHER than ENTER. Enter is also used to navigating menus, and as you are doing this you will be using up items. Just thought youd like to know.

iori said:

If you use legacy heretic (to make it look like the original one, use software mode), then make sure you map the [use] command to something OTHER than ENTER. Enter is also used to navigating menus, and as you are doing this you will be using up items. Just thought youd like to know.

*cough*crappyinterface*cough*

iori said:

Hmm...
any decent software would take care of such an issue...