Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dsm

Ominous rumours

There are rumours of a Doom 3 beta leak flying around.

Someone with a rational mind (preferably someone who knows enough German to understand the news item on that German site) please prove to me that it's total bullshit.

Heh, The Readme on that site seems to be in english, and indicates this is the Alpha edited and patched by someone. I'm really not surprised. Using Babelfish on the site resulted in the usual bad translation, but decent enough to confirm that it's not another leak.

I really can't say I didn't expect this, case in point is BNA!s little website he set up a while ago dedicated to exploring said alpha. Seems to me quite a few people got the same idea. I'm surprised it took so long to turn up :D

Yes, fortunately it´s not another leak. They called it a new beta version to make it sound more interesting, but it´s just the old E3 alpha leak with patches and some user made maps.

Tetzlaff said:

Yes, fortunately it´s not another leak. They called it a new beta version to make it sound more interesting, but it´s just the old E3 alpha leak with patches and some user made maps.

Heh, classic.

Im sometimes schocked by how much the modding community is capable of these days. I guess im gonna have to go on the mad search for this :)

LorD BaZTArD said:

I really can't say I didn't expect this, case in point is BNA!s little website he set up a while ago dedicated to exploring said alpha. Seems to me quite a few people got the same idea. I'm surprised it took so long to turn up :D

Well, just to avoid any confusion - this file does not trace back to me. Actually there are no files at all tracing back to me.

Repacking the E3 file, adding some custom maps and naming it a beta is nothing but a publicity stunt from the same people who always try to stirr the same shit up and again to get some attention.

Eventually it's what people call the "Russian Retail Version Light" ?

One of my classmates downloaded this 'second beta' and I'll let you know about it as soon as he played it. No screenshots of course :)

Yeah, I know that BNA! I'm not saying you did, I've lurked at that page every now and again and I know your rules. Considering that pages like yours have sprung up over the alpha, It was no real surprise to me that some idiot decided to do exactly this to the alpha and release it, I dunno what they think this will acheive.

I mean, I know many people have taken to learning the inside out of the alpha since it arrived, but It just seems pointless to me. As many "features" are likely to be dropped/changed or fixed in the full game. We'll see I guess.

Maybe some features will change, maybe not.

Just consider at what stage of progress the file got leaked.

It surely is pointless to release anything based on the E3 file, but it's very interesting to work with such an advanced gaming engine.

Unlike every other "Doom3" site I don't encourage people to spoil themselves with the E3 content.
But the technically inclined it's just great fun work with it, write tools, create content, test out some limits.
Heck, there even are people who write great tools for it while not even being able to load the editor.

All of you can look forward to a game with absolutely great support by the community. As usual this means more custom content, modifications, gameplay ideas and fun.

Just a sidenote... :)

boris said:

Bwahahaha, how much trouble renaming a file can cause.

/me renames "doom.exe" to "loom.exe"

muahhaha

I'm suprised there aren't more sites dedicated to altering the alpha. Its been what? A year and a half? If these few people didn't get in trouble then what other reason is there for the dark side of the modding comunity not to? Meh. I'll wait for the full game.