Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ellmo

DRD still in motion! [screens]

I've just finished E1M2 with it's total of 666 sectors! Map's pretty big, highly detailed with a few nicely done lightning elements... and rather tough to beat.

ragnew, Job, Szymanski, how's the testing going?

Testings going great ellmo... I sent you an email yesterday, last night to be exact with some comments that I've had so far... These levels keep getting better and better...:)

Relica Religia said:

Which editor did you use, by the way?

I use Zeth only. Very quick and accurate tool, altough it has some irritating bugs.

And ragnew, I think I didn't get your review email. Mind to send it one more time? Thanks.

No problem ellmo,

I just sent you another copy of the previous email... Let me know if it still doesn't go through...

ellmo said:

I use Zeth only. Very quick and accurate tool, altough it has some irritating bugs.

Fitting, somehow. Why is it that the levels made with those old DEU style editors are often the best ones available?

Shaviro said:

Not bad at all!

Not bad? I'm gonna show you, you little...
You gonna be satisfied with playing this set. I'll try to make it up Darkening Episode 2 detail standards. Tere are almost no bare walls. Most of them aren't more than 128 length without a detail (light, computer screen, struts and cables). Although there are some visible in second screen; those will be improved!

ellmo said:

Not bad? I'm gonna show you, you little...
You gonna be satisfied with playing this set. I'll try to make it up Darkening Episode 2 detail standards.

1) wtf? Little?
2) I wouldn't say Darkening Episode 2 detail standards are as high as todays standards.

Shaviro said:

2) I wouldn't say Darkening Episode 2 detail standards are as high as todays standards.

I never said they are. But still they are high. Destpite the fact many people keep making underdetailed wads with lots of silly-placed monsters, pakcs of idiotically used textures and so on... So you can be sure those maps will be very detailed.

Anyways, later maps, beggining from fourth, will be done in medieval/gothic style. So Darkening Episode 2 won't be an example for those any more. Expect lots of brick, wood, stone, and metal...

Erm, I dunno. It'll take a long time since I'm the only mapper doing this crap. But you can go to my homepage and download a one level demo.

I've just began working on E1M3, but it has 110kb already.

ellmo said:

It'll take a long time since I'm the only mapper doing this crap. But you can go to my homepage and download a one level demo.

This sounds exactly like me.

ellmo said:

I never said they are. But still they are high. Destpite the fact many people keep making underdetailed wads with lots of silly-placed monsters, pakcs of idiotically used textures and so on... So you can be sure those maps will be very detailed.

Anyways, later maps, beggining from fourth, will be done in medieval/gothic style. So Darkening Episode 2 won't be an example for those any more. Expect lots of brick, wood, stone, and metal...

Taking Darkening 2 as a guideline for detail is certainly not a bad thing. Granted, there are some more detailed maps out there but D2 still counts as one of the best looking WADs I have ever seen.

Darkening E2 isn't about detail, but architecture.

The better architecture, the lesser detail is needed.

Shaviro said:

Darkening E2 isn't about detail, but architecture.

The better architecture, the lesser detail is needed.

It's the right mixture of both that makes a level look great. I have seen levels with great architecture that looked utterly bland and I have seen levels that had impressive detail but nothing to support it. Of course a set of good looking textures also helps a lot to make a level look good. From what I have seen so far from Ellmo I'd say he has the right mixture in DRD.

Previous levels were upgraded a bit, just as Lee Szymanski suggested. Progress on E1M3 is doing just damn fine. Here is a couple of screenshots:

The second screen shows the area where the infestation began. It was inspired by Doom's Odyssey E1M8 (i think it was).

Heh, you mean 666 sector project? That gives too much possibilities to operate. And I think that after modifications E1M2 has a bit more than 666 sectors.