/me slaps forehead

How much of an idiot am I?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. How much of an idiot am I?

• Incredibly idiot
    • More idiot than me
    • Moderately very idiot
    • Sum of the idiocy of the world

So I'm surfing the web, looking for drivers for my modem because I lost the CD that comes with it. Then I find a site that had exactly what I wanted.

It asked me to register so I could download the driver, and I thought, "OK, what the hell." I would have to supply my real e-mail address, because they'd send my own account details there. Then I went through like 10 pages of YES-I-want-to-sign-up-for-your-spam-which-isn't-actually-spam-coz-you-asked-for-it bullshit, which I categorically denied. Eventually I received the e-mail:

USER NAME is: driver
PASSWORD is: all
'Nuff said. And they're trying to assure me I won't receive any spam just because I clicked those 'reject' checkboxes.

I suppose they only have that registration process to keep people from setting up automated downloads of all their drivers... or something... but anyway, I've used that site a time or two, even registered, but I didn't really get all that much spam as a result.

For any sites that don't require email for registration, I usually enter the following information:

Bob McYoursitesucks
YourSiteSucks@aol.com

Unless there's someone actually using that name on AOL, you get the added bonus of knowing that 1,000 spam sites have to deal with returned mail!

Yes, but as you said, it's worthless for times when you they send you something to that address. Mailinator is not. Just use your_mom@mailinator.com or any other name you can think of. No registration, passwords, etc required!

Heh, thanks. I learned about this very useful site through a class I took recently about web-related... stuff. The class was fairly depressingly worthless except for the quick presentations everyone had to do on some "cool" website they found.