Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

Hell Revealed 2 Demopack

stx-Vile just noted on IRC that the Doom Speedrunner's Forum Hell Revealed 2 demopack has just been released. This pack no doubt includes some impressive recordings from many of the community's talented speedrunners. Be sure to get Hell Revealed 2 if you haven't already.

Addendum: At one point in time, the download link did not work, so the pack is mirrored at Andy Olivera's site, or you can get it from here if his bandwidth runs out.

Ryback : just a detail, but on the html page the time for hr2-15 is still 16:06. It should be 14:34 now... :)

Question :
anyone has a demo for map15 hr2beta ? I'd like to see how the guy handled it..

I doubt anyone ever completed the original MAP15. There was too little health/armor. Compare with DMTHA and you'll see that the beta had a health ratio of 16:1, while the final version is 10:1...

In the beta, the maps that were never finished (to my knowledge) were 7, 13 (which is 18 now), 14 (which is 19 now), 15, and 31. All the other maps for the beta had exits.

And speaking of beta demos.... I'm glad we don't have a 20-minute demo for the full-version's map 13, like the beta had in it's map 8 spot (which is 13... get it? =P) like I had uploaded over a year and a half ago... =)

Adam Williamsons demo for map21 are among my favourites. The playing style is sooo aggressive, it looks truly badass. It reeks of that "You do NOT fuck with the DOOM marine!" attitude. Anyone who's up against two arch-viles and won't even bother dodging their attacks has quite the set of balls :) (the last two that teleport in...)

My comments really stink.. feel like I'm trying to add a touch of drama or something.

Anyway, I'm up to map22 but it's pretty early in the morning... and I have to sleep yet, so tommorow the prerecorded ass-kicking will wrap up.

Once again, congrats to everyone involved, the final product is quite excellent. :)

Altima said:
In the beta, the maps that were never finished (to my knowledge) were 7, 13 (which is 18 now), 14 (which is 19 now), 15, and 31. All the other maps for the beta had exits.

Opulent did map07 fairly recently. Table Demo. Despite the filename and location, it isn't an HR map27 demo.

According to that table, there wasn't a map11 demo for the beta.

Vile: I didn't think there was anything wrong with your comments in the text.

Anyway, it's a great pack. I watched all the demos as they came in, so I've nothing to watch now. :( I'll rewatch them all pretty soon though, I suspect.

A great pack! Watched it last evening again :)

Sorry for my harsh comments on Map17. It sounds too bad. But I was so frustrated about this %&$§ map. Please replace "primitive" with "linear", when you read it :(

Cool, that last pic is from my Map14 demo :)

Yeah, I finished watching it yesterday. Great demos guys...
lots of efforts and great action.

Hell Revealed 2 is a must play but that's sad to say a few maps spoil the fun and should have never made it into the wad.

VinceDSS said:

Hell Revealed 2 is a must play but that's sad to say a few maps spoil the fun and should have never made it into the wad.

Which ones are you thinking of?

ukiro: hehe, thanks :). no point dodging those last AVs - you have loads of health, and if you do then they just resuscitate a bunch of monsters, you run out of rockets and it wastes a load of time. actually, method has a faster time for the map now, shame he didn't get it done before the pack was compiled...

Fredrik said:

Which ones are you thinking of?

I'll check em again tonight and tell you the ones I dont like, and why.
The one that comes to mind right away is map28... I really don't like it... especially the design... maybe some people like it but then I don't understand em. No offense to Andy Olivera tho, that might only be my personal taste.

In fact I did not even bother to finish it while playing casually, I warped directly to map29. Which is at the opposite, a huge masterpiece : simple design but visually very effective (very HR) and the gameplay is just so good.

Map 29 is the best one of them all, IMHO. I smiled euphorically when first playing it through. That rarely happens. I also really liked maps I'm guessing weren't hits with some people... My taste in maps can seem odd. I absolutely loved maps 6, 9 and 14.

.. And a HR2 related question I have to get off my chest: Why are there two yellow keys in map 7? And you even have to use one of the yellow keys to reach the other yellow key! Am I an idiot for not seeing why this is?

I watched the map32 demo just now and in it the player dies! O_O Wha...?

DooMBoy said:

I watched the map32 demo just now and in it the player dies! O_O Wha...?

That must be intentional! Strange that it didn't happen when I viewed it though.

No offense to Andy Olivera tho, that might only be my personal taste.

:-) None taken. It's pretty boring from a design perspective(especially the last area). I wanted to include a different level from d2200ep1(MAP05), but decided against it for two reasons: one, there's some severe HOM in certain places; and two, it's freakin' difficult(think HR2-24, but without the necessary ammo, no Plasma or BFG, and twice as long).

I warped directly to map29. Which is at the opposite, a huge masterpiece : simple design but visually very effective (very HR) and the gameplay is just so good.

You liked this level? I didn't think anyone was going to like it. For one, it's ugly. Two, I thought the gameplay was awful(be thankful I added those Megasphere secrets). Oh, well. I'm glad you guys are enjoying it, but it surprises the hell out of me. :-)

Why are there two yellow keys in map 7? Am I an idiot for not seeing why this is?

You're not the idiot, here, I am. I can't believe I missed that!!!

Andy Olivera said about HR2 map29:

You liked this level? I didn't think anyone was going to like it. For one, it's ugly. Two, I thought the gameplay was awful(be thankful I added those Megasphere secrets). Oh, well. I'm glad you guys are enjoying it, but it surprises the hell out of me. :-)

Well, I can hardly imagine this map without the sphere.
This map is simply designed, but it looks rather good for the low amount of sectors... it's very atmospheric. Well... I like it :)
It shows that it is not needed to have 100 sectors per square meter to make a cool map.

I just finished watch it earier today and man, what a ride.

There is some room for improvment, but all in all the demos kick arse.

Personally, I think map29 is one damn fine map. It's true don't need a million sectors per grid square, and this map proves it.

Although half a million would do the trick. heh

Now get working on those faster runs people!

You guys are fucking insane!!! :D