Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ShadowRunner

Uac Base 51 Demo Released!

There are two points I'd like to make.

Point number 1: Certain level design aspects, such as scrolling textures and blinking lights, are a lot like salt. A little bit can add a unique flavor and atmosphere, while a lot will destroy it.

Point 2: Morton's on the phone, and they want you to be their new spokesperson.

It's better than your first map, but it still has a lot of ilogic and crazy staff, specially in the crate room. Also there are a lot of misalignment, overuse of lights on the walls (you can use lamps, or ceiling lights, or simple don't use in certain rooms). Plus the monsters placement is not the best.
The map looks VERY linear in the automap. An outdoor room, or at least a window, would add some atmosphere.
Don't abuse of scrolling wals, don't use so much rooms with 0 light level.

Thanks for the comments,if thats what it needs it needs then.
Ill add some extra rooms to some areas that u cant access till u do something in a room far away.
Overuse of lights.......Aighty.
Monster placement........Ill move it around a bit then

The crate room is too weird, and I don't like the door in the wall in the beginning. I say start over from scratch, and don't do a tech level. Please.

Remember, the sector in front of a LITE should always be 255 light level. It's okay to use LITEs as long as you don't do as many as you do.

Also, I found a lot of unclosed sectors. Close those up.

Also, that blue LITE texture is bad. It just is.

Epyo said:

Remember, the sector in front of a LITE should always be 255 light level.

Not necessarily. It can be anything, so long as it's brighter than the area surrounding the LITE texture.

Two things about the crate room:

1. Do not suspend crates to the ceiling.
2. Little crate textures should be used for stacks of one or at most a small amount of little crates. Don't use little crate textures for large stacks like that.

...saw that one coming...

Yes, but he had it where something was holding it up. Even though it may not have made total sense, it was still logically plausible. This map has crates as if you used static electricity to stick a non-helium balloon on the ceiling.

ShadowRunner said:

Ive finally reached a point to where i can release a 1/3 of the map done Demo.
http://www.freewebs.com/shadowrunner89/UacDemo.zip.zip

Gimme some feedback,any bugs,any alignments let me know.

-Also-
Highly recommend you play this in Zdoom or skulltag,I have not used Zennode on this demo yet so you will experience weird texture alignments if u play in legacy,edge,etc etc.

~Peace~

uhhh... ".zip.zip" care to explain that one. Either way the link seems to just redirect me to this post. Perhaps you should make a downloads HTML page, because freewebs doesn't seem to like people hot-linking it. I used to be a fan of flashing lights, then my eyes started to hurt and I though "Them's too many flashing lights" so I tend to use Light Glow now instead. (And not very much of it either. Mainly on doors.)

ravage said:

*cough* Vrack *cough*

They were suspended by metal bars, they weren't simply glued to the ceiling like in this guy's wad.