Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tednacho

favorite music?

anyone have a favorite piece of music to listen to while playing DOOM? I had a 486/33 with the Microsoft Sound System card back in the early 90s and I wasn't able to play DOOM's mus files or digitized sound effects. so, i stuck with the PC speaker sounds and CDs like Pretty Hate Machine by Nine Inch Nails and Smash by the Offspring...of course, that also meant placing the boombox directly behind me for surround sound. =)

any good stories out there?

NIN is bad ass, but I just tend to just listen to the MIDIs of the maps I'm playing, however, I have listened to Front Line Assembly once or twice...

As for stories...sorry.

tednacho said:

Smash by the Offspring...

Ehm, like "Come out and Play" - Smash's one of the best albums ever recorded.

I always had music in Doom, but I didn't have any sound for two years! So I had to listen to PC speaker beeps and twirls.

But that gave the game even a greater climate.

PC speaker sounds definitely added a...uh...different dimension to the game. none of my PCs since have utilized the PC speaker, but i still remember lots of those quirky sounds.

ive actually just gotten into metallica, and some of the early stuff sounds great with DOOM--kill 'em all, ride the lightning...

the BeeGees, and if I really feel like getting down: Elvis.
that is only half-serious...(I do listen to both quite often, but not during DOOM necessarily :))
but to be completely serious; choosing a good album to play during a DOOMing session can really keep you playing. before long, you are still focused on getting that perfect speedrun and your Disturbed CD starts track 1 for the third time...
I played a lot of Adam Ant and Garbage(I mean the music group; I wasn't being descriptive) when I recorded my Pdang stuff many years ago... that always put me in the DOOM mood.

The Doom midis, except E2M3. That music is much better suited for intermissions and not while you're playing a map.